SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th December 2023, 20:28

Default Wheelchairs on buses

Ive recently been in a wheelchair and am shocked at the way bus drivers treat wheelchair users. They often dont wait until you are in position and braked on the bus and Ive been catapulted along the bus several times now!
Im not sure if anyone else here has experienced this but its a disgraceful way to treat vulnerable people.
I dont think I will be in the chair forever but it has really shocked me the behaviour of these London bus drivers.!
Old 11th December 2023, 20:33

Default Re: Wheelchairs on buses

Angela, that is awful!

You could complain with the route, stop and time as most buses have CCTV that might have captured what happens.

Also it might be worth saying, "Please can you wait for me to get into position with my breaks on so I don't roll down the aisle?"

I'd hope that the driver would then say yes and wait for you to give the okay.

Might be worth a try. You shouldn’t have to, it should be a given - but I’m just thinking of your safety.
Old 11th December 2023, 21:04

I agree with Biscuit about making a complaint. I'm sorry that has happened to you, Angela.
Old 11th December 2023, 21:32

Mood
Alienated

Really sorry to hear that Angela. I’d certainly recommend putting a complaint in (either to TfL, or directly contact the actual operator that runs the particular route) And if you arn’t satisfied with their response, you can take it further to Bus Users UK or as you are talking about London, can go to London Travelwatch. Bus drivers legally have to take part in CPC courses which cover how to treat wheelchair users, and of course have to follow their company regulations. They most certainly would have been breaking rules.

However, you may be thinking ‘why should I have to’ and I’d certainly understand that. I’m sure there are some decent bus drivers in London, but in London they are generally a different breed! In my area, the bus drivers are much kinder and more patient, and have witnessed them being great with wheelchair users.

It seems such a shame that it’s still a bit of a mixed bag for wheelchair users on public transport though. Millions and millions have been spent on making buses low-floor (a legal requirement since something like 2014) and raising pavements at bus stops. But all it takes is some poorly trained bus drivers or a self-righteous buggy parent to make it a difficult experience.

I hope you have a much better experience next time Angela!
Old 12th December 2023, 01:14

I have reported them yes! But because there are so many it is difficult! It has really put me off travelling on buses which is a shame!