SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th April 2012, 13:50

Default Re: Rate the last film you watched (3)..

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 9/10

50/50 - 6/10

The Illusionist (2010) - 7/10
Old 29th April 2012, 15:35
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

13 Game of Death - Entertaining Taiwanese thriller about a guy who's having a shitty day, who's contacted by a mystery caller telling him if he completes 13 tasks then he'll win insane amounts of money. First task is killing a fly, by the 13th though....let's just say things escalate. Enjoyed it a whole bunch, the pace barely lets up. Has a great ending, the sort that you wouldn't get away with in Hollywood 8/10
Old 29th April 2012, 16:13

Mood
Daring

Fear of a Black Hat
A hip hop mockumentary from 1994 about a rap group called N.W.H (Niggaz With Hats) The best bits were the parody videos such as **** the Security Guards (parody of N.W.A - **** the Police), Granny Said Kick Yo Ass (LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out), I'm Just a Human (PM Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss)

8/10
Old 29th April 2012, 16:17

Mood
Happy

9 - 5/10

Visuals were interesting............. other than that i didnt like it. The story had potential but it didnt go anywhere with it and the characters werent developed so i didnt really care what happened to them. I usually like films Tim Burton is involved in, but this didnt do anything for me.
Old 29th April 2012, 16:26

The Iron Man. 6 / 10.

A typical cheesy American action film.

The main character couldn't have been more of a ponce, but I think Robert Downey Jr. played it well. What made this film was having Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges in it. Gwyneth Paltrow's character was annoying - she looked ridiculous running around in stillettos.

Certainly found this film entertaining, but I didn't think it was anything amazing. Films like these usually arn't my kind of film.
Old 29th April 2012, 16:43

Battleship 3/10

Very poorly conceived story full of colossal plot holes. Could of been written by a five year old who had never heard the word 'science'. Some of the worst sci-fi I've ever been subjected to.

On the plus side, lots of pretty explosions! Ooh! Ahh!
Old 29th April 2012, 23:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

City of Violence - Very lighthearted Korean revenge film, does nothing particularly original or inventive, but passes the time well enough 6/10
Old 30th April 2012, 12:37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineo
kevin smith should make a soap/tv series. imagine how amazing and funny that would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWithTheChemicals
Ah love Clerks, amuses me how much I can't stand Smith though.
I wanna like Smith but i think if i met him in real life he would be a proper twat for some reason. He would be the celeb who when a little kid comes up to him in the street for an autograph he'd just come and say '**** off kid'. He just has that look about him.
Old 30th April 2012, 13:08

Mood
Creative

Chronicle 6/10

Well done but no real hooks, the only good actor is the main one and they take him from troubled teen to sociopath in one scene and then into basically a monster by the end.
The CGI is very easy to spot as well but the camera technique is a real standout, the levitating camera trick is really clever
Old 30th April 2012, 13:13
Banned

Quote:
^ He just screams massive bellend to me, especially after listening to his podcast.
Haven't listened to his podcast but most of the time i have discovered when you think they are a twat irl they usually are.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:15
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kony
Apocalypse Now - 6/10

Never seen it before, and not sure what to make of it really. At times I didn't know whether I was bored or in some kind of hypnosis. As a film tho it looks and sounds great, very atmospheric. I'll watch it again one day, maybe.
Its MEGA overrated isn't it, bloody Platoon is better.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:30

Mood
Mellow

The girl with the dragon tattoo 8.5/10 -Acting was brilliant IMO (Craig and Mara), yes fake subtle Swedish accents but still, my only quarrel is that I felt it dragged on a bit and went down hill in the last hour. My friend didn't like it being disturbed by the rape scene and unnecessary sex scenes after, I'm in two minds over it. She got her revenge back on the rapist but still a bit baffled why (and it was shown graphically) to have an intimate relationship with Mikael after.
Old 1st May 2012, 02:48

The Two Jakes - 7/10

Sequel to Chinatown. Not as good as the original but come on, that would be unfair. Jack Nicholson is actually sort of capable as a director, it's a bit surprising he hasn't done more.
Old 1st May 2012, 12:01
Banned

A Perfect Getaway 6/10

Some good parts to it, was basically a whodunnit type film mixed with parts of Dead Calm & looked like the film The Beach.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:30

Mood
Melancholy

Cabin in the Woods - 6/10

I didn't know anything about this film until I saw it, and it wasn't as I expected. Not really my kind of thing, but it entertained me.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:48
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Ju-On : The Grudge - Just found out this is the 3rd in the series, no wonder parts of it didn't completely add up. It was decent, created a good atmosphere but tends to fall at the final hurdle when it comes to showing the ghost. Turns out a small boy covered in flour making cat noises just isn't that scary 6/10
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:12

Groundhog Day - 9/10

I think I may have reviewed this on here before. This is certainly on my 'list' of favourite films. I like the idea of the film, and Bill Murray is excellent in it. It is quite cheesy in places, and feels quite dated. Also, is a typical mainstream film in that it gets lovey-dovey towards the end. Definatly an excellent film though, and well worth a watch if you haven't seen it before. A lot of funny moments in it - I like Murray's character as he has quite a pessimistic humour (not sure how else to describe it), which I tend to like in characters.
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:42
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Dark Water - Can't quite wrap my head around why people say this film is scary tbh. Just seemed like another spooky dead kid film from Japan. What is it with Japanese horrors obsession with ghost children? 5/10
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:37

Mood
Curious

Titanic - in 3D

A splendid film indeed, well worth sitting in the cinema for nearly 4 hours, it was like watching it for the first time again.
Could hear plenty of people (all female) crying at various bits, not sure if there was really any need for that, they surely must have seen it before and known how it all was gonna go down so to speak, but tah well.

Anyway I give it a well deserved 10/10

Wonder if they'll ever do a sequel
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkeh
Dark Water - Can't quite wrap my head around why people say this film is scary tbh. Just seemed like another spooky dead kid film from Japan. What is it with Japanese horrors obsession with ghost children? 5/10
I have no idea why people find kids in horror movies creepy or scary.

Dark Water is shit BTW.
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex76
Titanic - in 3D

A splendid film indeed, well worth sitting in the cinema for nearly 4 hours, it was like watching it for the first time again.
Could hear plenty of people (all female) crying at various bits, not sure if there was really any need for that, they surely must have seen it before and known how it all was gonna go down so to speak, but tah well.

Anyway I give it a well deserved 10/10

Wonder if they'll ever do a sequel
They'll make a sequel when this http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...th-titanic-ii/ is hijacked and blown up by Muslim terrorist extremists.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:29
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
13 Beloved - 10/10

What a film. Be sure to watch it with dubs, it only adds to the beauty of it. I only hope that one day I will meet a man like Chad, I've also learned to be cautious of green buses and police siren ringtones. "Is that the police?! RUN!... oh wait, no, it's the phone."
Never trust old women when they ask you to put their washing line up for them either.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:18
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frusty
I have no idea why people find kids in horror movies creepy or scary.
Than can be quite creepy when done right. The kid in Ringu I thought was pretty scary, also the twins in The Shining made me almost poop my pants.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineo
i've watched a few crazy and shocking films but that film was too much I couldn't even get past the first 5 minutes lol.
Dang, I loved that at the time , I watched it a number of times but haven't seen it in years. It is pretty shocking but has some great dark comedy moments. Watching the film crew become desensitized to the goings on and then become directly embroiled in the madness just added to it. Certainly not what I'd call an easy watch but a great film none the less.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:47

Limitless - 6.5
Better than a 6 but not a 7 because I don't intend to watch it again.
It was absorbing in that "no don't do that" kinda way. Ending was a disapointment, like it was trying too hard to give the the character the best possible ending. I dunno, it just left me thinking like that's how Disney would of ended it.
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:46
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Ju-On : The Curse - Still don't understand why the small boy makes cat noises, but this was at least a bit more effective than The Grudge. I'm also 95% sure this was the first film in the series, I could be wrong though. I have a feeling I'll probably be compelled to watch more of these...not sure why though 6/10
Old 4th May 2012, 01:47

sherlock holmes a game of shadows

absolute mess. seemed like every scene was in a different country and they didn't even have aeroplanes back then so that was totallylame. the slow motion stuff really got tiring too and what a bizarre ending 2/10
Old 5th May 2012, 01:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

Audition - Still the pinnacle of Japanese horror IMO. Odd to think that's it's practically 13 years old. Completely holds up and is just as powerful and teeth clenching as it was back in 99. I still wonder how much of the final scenes were Aoyama's fetishistic dreams, could do with a good commentary track from Miike really 9/10
Old 5th May 2012, 19:10

Mood
Sad

Death Note 7/10 - Really stylish, need to check out more in the series.
Old 5th May 2012, 19:12

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkeh
Audition - Still the pinnacle of Japanese horror IMO. Odd to think that's it's practically 13 years old. Completely holds up and is just as powerful and teeth clenching as it was back in 99. I still wonder how much of the final scenes were Aoyama's fetishistic dreams, could do with a good commentary track from Miike really 9/10
I found the final scenes difficult to watch (I have a mild sharp object phobia ), still yeah good film though.