SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th December 2008, 21:08

Default Tesco!, first day tomorrow

Hi i have been extremely brave, and applied for a job at tescos, and i got to the interview stages and got accepted.

I have my induction day tomorrow, any ideas what this involves, will there be a group getting to know you activity? Im dreading if there is.

Any tips for working in a supermarket, as a shelf stacker, im on night shifts part time.

What qualities will they be judging me on?

Also any of you guys work at tesco, is there always a few loner staff members, or is everyone cheery and gets along with each other?
Old 10th December 2008, 21:30

Default Re: Tesco!, first day tomorrow

Congrats on getting the job.

I worked there for a few years but I left five years ago so I don't know how useful this will be.

From what I remember the induction was just a manager talking to all the new people about what working there is like and you had to sign some forms and stuff.

Shelf stacking is easy if a bit repetitive once you learn where most of the stuff goes

If you're working in a big store there will be all kinds of people there so don't worry too much about what the other people are like and a slong as you do the job properly then thats all they should judge you on.
Old 10th December 2008, 21:54

Mood
Blah

Firstly well done on getting the job IT will make you feel a whole lot better about yourself. Plus think of the money!!

I havent ever worked within a supermarket, but it is what you make it. If it were me i would just concentrate on focusing on whats required and keeping my head down for the first week.

Be punctual and polite and work efficiently, when you get familiar with whats required it wouldnt hurt to look on ways to go above and beyond the call of duty.

Look to improve current procedures, tasks, processes etc...show that you show an interest in the company. I know you may not take this type of role that seriously, but it cant hurt your chances for promotion, overtime etc.

Good Luck.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:07

Mood
Mellow

Congratulations on getting the job. I started an xmas job this week at the RM and i did have the first day nerves but i have found it good fun after that and everyone gets on with everyone and i have already noticed i feel better inside and have more confidence.
The induction day included just a health and safety talk and signing some forms for me.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:11

Hey, congratulations on the job! I'm sure as you settle in you'll start to enjoy it.

I worked at a supermarket for a few years at one point, and I think that one quality managers and co-workers will appreciate is hard work! If you turn up on time, do what you're supposed to, pull your weight, then you've instantly shown that you're a good worker and a great member of the team.

You won't know where anything is when you first start which may feel a little overwhelming. Just remember that asking someone who does know where the frozen chips go, or where you're meant to put the digestive biscuits isn't inconveniencing them at all! They did the exact same thing when they started and you'll feel better as you build up your knowledge of the store layout.

I hope it goes well for you
Old 10th December 2008, 22:25

Well done Hellish, good luck for tomorrow
Old 10th December 2008, 23:12

Mood
Pensive

All the best in your new job Hellish

I think in most big firms there are 'loner types' so I wouldn't worry. I'm sure Tesco is no exception
Old 10th December 2008, 23:25
I.G.

Good luck, Hellish! You've done really well just to get this far
Old 11th December 2008, 10:04

Mood
Spaced

Good luck with the job....
as your suffering with SA im presuming that the job your going for is welll within your abilities.... so just be patient with yourself and be pleasant with others and all will be A-ok.
id just advise to try and do your job with as positive attitude as you can,and think of it as a big leap in a positive direction.
if you can id also advise keeping a work diary of the positive things that happen the days your at work....it really is the small things that count with SA so if you felt good helping someone in the store write it down....if you had a quick chat with a co worker write it down etc etc
again good luck
Old 11th December 2008, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog
Some of the people that work there are quite 'rough' so I got a fair bit of ribbing for being the quiet one.

I suggest you get involved in the banter and jokes from day one so you don't get ostracised.
You must have been very unlucky, but that certainly doesn't count for everyone.

I worked in Sainsbury's for 2 years, and I was the most quite person there, and the place was full of 'lads', but I never got any hassle. Of course, I wasn't literally a mute, so I did respond whenever someone would talk to me, but nothing much more than that.

Anyway, Hellish, what happened with me is that I was simply put straight into the job, so stacking shelves and just asking for help off of others already working there to know where everything goes, etc. Nerve racking stuff, as is any job, but you'll get on fine. Employees are told to help newcomers, so never be afraid to ask for help.

So, last, but not least, well done.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:37

Mood
Apelike

Hope your induction went well today Hellish!
Old 11th December 2008, 21:14

Mood
Spaced

Did you survive??
Old 11th December 2008, 21:18

Mood
Notamused

Well done and good luck! Just be yourself!
Old 11th December 2008, 21:52

Congratulations Hellish I hope it went well today
Old 11th December 2008, 22:22

Mood
Stressed

Oooh I hope it went well today Congratulations on applying & getting the job ^_^
Closed Thread