SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 21st September 2018, 21:34
In_infamy In_infamy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 89
Default Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has successfully managed to gain weight. I have been underweight all my life and go through phases of trying gain weight but it is very hard I notice when I do eat more and exercise I feel a lot better. However when I get anxious I go back to a routine of skipping meals, losing appetite etc.

Recently I've been trying to eat more (again) and have been using some exercise apps at home as I don't want to go to the gym. Anyone have success stories? How long did it take you to gain weight? Tips would be welcome. E.g I eat a lot of salad and have started drizzling olive oil for extra calories.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22nd September 2018, 02:59
newbs16 newbs16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12,330
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Do you have protein with your salad because salad on its own is very little calories. Maybe you snack on nuts too,sometimes meal replacement drinks are good to gain weight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:18
Kooky Monster Kooky Monster is offline
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manchester
Posts: 3,236

Mood
Amused

Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

I'm not underweight but I don't like being as slim as I am so there have been times when I've looked into the best things to eat to gain weight etc.

Newbs is right, salad on its own won't cut it even with oil dressing.

The best foods to go for are what they call energy dense foods, meaning that they have lots of calories. So things like nuts and nut butters, dried fruits, oils, oats, rice, avocados, full fat dairy products, potatoes and meats (or meat substitutes like Quorn if you're veggie).

Eating little but more often - so 5-6 small meals a day as opposed to 3 big ones, is also supposed to help.

I can't say that I've ever really succeeded in gaining weight though, but that's because I just don't have what it takes to commit to such a diet and my appetite comes and goes like the tide. Hope you have better success!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd September 2018, 16:46
limey123 limey123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 279
Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

@the OP: what gender and age are you? Those things can make a difference.

I was very thin and weedy until my early 30s. I remember a kind woman at an evening class in Germany referring to me as a "little shit". (To be fair, she called another class member "ugly", so I don't think she was a nice person). I'm hardly a muscleman now, but at least I'm an average weight, a little overweight actually.

I'm afraid to say nothing helped me except age. During my teens and 20s I ate like a piglet and even did some weights, all in vain.
I literally had no muscle mass and I'm still fairly spindly even now.

Perhaps you could visit your GP if you are especially concerned?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:19
In_infamy In_infamy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 89
Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Thanks for sharing biscuits. Anxiety is definitely a big reason why I'm underweight. Great to hear you managed to gain weight while you were treating the anxiety issues. I didn't know it's possible to gain weight just by dealing with the anxiety alone. It must play a bigger role in weight loss in some people than I would have expected.

Last edited by Mo34; 24th September 2018 at 22:45. Reason: Removed quoted post at the request of the quoted OP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:24
Mr. Spaceman Mr. Spaceman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4,712
Blog Entries: 1

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Like above I was very skinny in my teens, 20s and early 30s - a steady 8 and a half to 9 stone - with seemingly no muscle mass at all, could eat as much ice cream and pizza as I wanted without putting on any weight whatsoever. Then I got to my mid 30s and due to a combination of ageing, becoming much less physically active and prescription medication (anti-depressants + beta blockers) I started to put on weight and am now 12 and a half stone, which counts as slightly overweight for my height (5ft 6).

Most of the weight seems to have accumulated around my belly, but my shoulders, arms and legs have also bulked up which I'm quite happy with. I go swimming semi-regularly in an attempt to maintain shape. Overall I much prefer my body now even though I guess I'm less physically healthy than when I was in my 20s.

I doubt that counts as a success story sorry! Only thing I wish is that I had just accepted myself for what I was back in my 20s rather than beating myself up wishing I was bigger and for not trying hard enough to be.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:45
In_infamy In_infamy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 89
Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
Do you have protein with your salad because salad on its own is very little calories. Maybe you snack on nuts too,sometimes meal replacement drinks are good to gain weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky Monster
I'm not underweight but I don't like being as slim as I am so there have been times when I've looked into the best things to eat to gain weight etc.

Newbs is right, salad on its own won't cut it even with oil dressing.

The best foods to go for are what they call energy dense foods, meaning that they have lots of calories. So things like nuts and nut butters, dried fruits, oils, oats, rice, avocados, full fat dairy products, potatoes and meats (or meat substitutes like Quorn if you're veggie).

Eating little but more often - so 5-6 small meals a day as opposed to 3 big ones, is also supposed to help.

I can't say that I've ever really succeeded in gaining weight though, but that's because I just don't have what it takes to commit to such a diet and my appetite comes and goes like the tide. Hope you have better success!
I'm eating a lot of salad because I was thinking it's an easy "add on" to a meal, it's cheap and easy to make (I can't cook very much). Currently I'm trying to do a "top up" of calories to the existing meals I'm eating. So previously I'd eat meat + carb and that was it. Now I'm trying to do meat + carb + salad side, and then an extra side salad meal at night as well. But I guess you're right it's not very many calories on top

I am allergic to nuts (as well as to a lot of other foods which makes this harder) but have been contemplating the protein powders.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:50
In_infamy In_infamy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 89
Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
@the OP: what gender and age are you? Those things can make a difference.

I was very thin and weedy until my early 30s. I remember a kind woman at an evening class in Germany referring to me as a "little shit". (To be fair, she called another class member "ugly", so I don't think she was a nice person). I'm hardly a muscleman now, but at least I'm an average weight, a little overweight actually.

I'm afraid to say nothing helped me except age. During my teens and 20s I ate like a piglet and even did some weights, all in vain.
I literally had no muscle mass and I'm still fairly spindly even now.

Perhaps you could visit your GP if you are especially concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spaceman
Like above I was very skinny in my teens, 20s and early 30s - a steady 8 and a half to 9 stone - with seemingly no muscle mass at all, could eat as much ice cream and pizza as I wanted without putting on any weight whatsoever. Then I got to my mid 30s and due to a combination of ageing, becoming much less physically active and prescription medication (anti-depressants + beta blockers) I started to put on weight and am now 12 and a half stone, which counts as slightly overweight for my height (5ft 6).

Most of the weight seems to have accumulated around my belly, but my shoulders, arms and legs have also bulked up which I'm quite happy with. I go swimming semi-regularly in an attempt to maintain shape. Overall I much prefer my body now even though I guess I'm less physically healthy than when I was in my 20s.

I doubt that counts as a success story sorry! Only thing I wish is that I had just accepted myself for what I was back in my 20s rather than beating myself up wishing I was bigger and for not trying hard enough to be.
Actually, one big thing I didn't mention is that I am also like you guys - since a child I've always been known as the person who seemed to be able to eat loads without putting on any weight. Everyone in my family is of a small build so I don't know if I am fighting against genetics here The reason why I'd like to put on weight is not necessarily to appear (much) bigger though, it's just to be able to have more strength and feel less fatigued, as well as have a better posture. I'm trying to do exercises alongside weight gaining ambitions but it's hard to exercise when you have nothing inside of you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th September 2018, 01:49
Deadbeatunderadustymoon Deadbeatunderadustymoon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 44

Mood
Procrastinating

Default Re: Weight gain success stories for people who were underweight

ive gained 20 kgs so Im now 98 kgs, sucess!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:36.


SAUK Award
Logo designed by abc
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.