SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:53

Default Offering help then not following through

Does anyone else find a real problem with those who offer help then fail to follow through? Ive had a lot recently as my mum has been admitted to hospital after being very ill with a UTI.
Even people from the church are saying..." call anytime we are family now". Offering to do shopping for me.
Then in reality when you call on them they dont seem that keen?
It really bothers me because I can get shopping delivered to my flat but if someone offers I wont make arrangements!!
I would rather they dont fake support!!
Old Yesterday, 18:35

Default Re: Offering help then not following through

It can be empty from some people - like it's the right thing to say but they don't actually mean it. I only offer if I actually mean it.

Can you email the vicar to see if they can put the word out that you need help? I'm sure someone would. Although, you have to be careful that no one is going to take advantage.
Old Yesterday, 21:20

It's a shame when words do become hollow, Angela. Especially when you end up having to make alternative arrangements. I have low expectations when it comes to these things. Although I don't mean that in a negative way, but in a "that's life" kind of way. After all, it's nice to offer support. It sounds good. It even looks good on paper when you write it down. But when it comes to that pesky follow through, then I think it loses its gloss for some people. As for myself, like Biscuit said, I will offer support if I can do it. If I said to someone, "Let's do lunch", then lunch it is! I also agree with what Biscuit said about being cautious when it comes to support. I'm reminded of the time when I used to take my Aunty and her friends to bingo. Then one day I had to replace my car and I remember the Daughter of my Aunty's friend was looking at me very suspiciously. Whereas before, we were hunky dory. Then it occurred to me that she probably thought I had got myself a harem of sugar grannies! Where in reality, I had to dip into my savings. Although I didn't blame her for being cynical. That's life. But I think it comes back to what people can expect from others. Or not, as the case might be. Whereas if it's family of course, then it's usually a given. And it's definitely a given when sugar grannies are involved!

Anyway, I hope you will find more supportive friends in the future.
Old Yesterday, 22:03

^ I feel like you would want a sugar granny to give you actual sugary goods.
Old Yesterday, 22:05

You know me so well, Biscuit!
Old Yesterday, 23:39

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_pretty_Angela
the church are saying..." call anytime we are family now". Offering to do shopping for me.
Then in reality when you call on them they dont seem that keen?
Sometimes life gets in the way though,
Someone who offered to help you may have already agreed plans for that day and so couldn't help on that occasion,
I sometimes forget just how busy some people's lives are,
I can't quite believe how much some people cram into their day,
I'm usually happy if I get the dishes done and cook a meal after work.