SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd December 2006, 20:45

Smile Any tips for overcoming SA?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and would love to hear from anyone who has any tips for overcoming SA? Have any treatments/medications worked well for any of you?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,

Leon x
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:22

Default Re: Any tips for overcoming SA?

For me the drug Seroxat helped, I have been on and off it for about 5 years now. I never had any problems coming off it until my last time when I found it hard to wean myself off. Normally I would gradually come off but the last time was really bad. I didnt tell my doctor because I was afraid they would be against prescribing it again.

It took a long time to build up the courage but I went along to my local SA group (Bristol) and this helped me face my fears of being around groups of people, public speaking of any kind etc.

I went on to complete a college course whilst still going to the group. I can honestly say that although my SA never fully went away, life did become easier.

Right now I feel like I have gone back to square one and all the old fears are back. I do have a lot of stress in my life which I know doesn't help. For me the whole trying to find a job, interviews, relationship, family life etc, I feel are the reasons for it returning. Because of the problems with Seroxat last time I am worried about taking it again but if I can't improve things by relaxation, breathing techniques, positive thinking, then I will have no option but to go back on it. I just seem to be able to start the battle against SA with it as a crutch.
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:38

Post Re: Any tips for overcoming SA?

Many thanks Claireabell for your tips.

I feel so much less alone and so much more optimistic when I read how other people have experienced similiar difficulties as me. I'm inspired by your sense of determination and by your strength.

I tried a drug called escitalopram (a SSRI anti-depressant) earlier in the year for several months, but I didn't find that it helped all that much. I felt quite flat and I still experienced the anxiety in social situations.

I find that diazepam in a large dose can help a bit in acute situations, but again it hasn't made a huge difference and doctors don't recommend it in the long term.

Exercise helps a bit. It helps improve self-esteem and makes me feel physically healthy at least.

Many thanks again Claireabell for your tips

Everyone, please feel free to post your suggestions

Take Care

Leon xx
Old 4th December 2006, 07:02

Survivor - SleepingGiants's Practical advice for overcoming SA on this site are worth a read.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:33

Yes, Seroxat is very good for SA, so is Klonopin. Don't waste time and money on alternative medicines like St. John's Wort or 5htp. Cognitive therapy CAN be helpful, but it takes years of daily practise.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:44

Mood
Worried

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness by Gillian Butler is good..

Also i find doing a 'what if' chart helps. Not sure if youve done this before. Its where you jot down all your worries and put 'for' and 'against' points like how likely is it to happen.. Thats helped me in the past..
Also just jotting down anything youre worrying about however small seems to help.. So you dont worry about it so much..
Old 4th December 2006, 12:17
Marley's Ghost

Excersize, relaxation (yoga for me), & joining a self-help group - it gives you the opportunity to make friends with sympathetic people.

Medication was a bad experience for me, as it made me feel depressed; but different things work for different people, I guess.
Old 4th December 2006, 12:27

Prozac is working for me :D plus just trying to get out there and talk to folk but in small ways - I used to think I had to do everything now but one step at a time is the best way.

I have the book mentioned above that is helping me too. Good luck best bet is to never give up on finding the rainbow x
Old 4th December 2006, 13:08

I am not 100% over my SA but i am 100% improving.

This is whats working for me...

Exercise daily(at least 3-5x/wk)

Eat healthy

Take omega 3 fish oils and a good multi b vitamin complex

Set standards for yourself and stick to them. (i.e. for those struggling with personal hygeine as i read in another post....make a point to shower everyday regardless of your plans there is a point your body deserves to be cleaned and smelling fresh even if it's only for the four walls of your house.)

Take care of your self, your appearance and your mind. Develop a positive mental attitude by working through books like the gillian butler one and anthony robbins awaken the giant/susan jeffers feel the fear. Seek professional help with this if neccessary through councelling, nlp/cbt or doctors if you feel the need...

Keep a diary, express how you're feeling and look at your thoughts objectively. Use to assess your day and see how you can improve tommorow. Take life one day at a time.

Most importantly make a commitment to yourself that you will do whatever it takes to get better and be willing to put yourself out there and take risks everyday. This is the most important and effective tip of all. You have to just feel the fear and do it regardless. That is the only way, there are no magic pills to solve this. They may work temporarily but im assuring you THE ONLY WAY TO GET OVER YOUR FEAR IS TO JUST DO IT. IF THE ONLY STEP YOU TAKE IS TO FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY THAT ALONE OVER TIME WILL CURE YOU. FACT. (not saying you'll become mr/miss popularity but you will be able to have a normal life, make a few friends and enjoy company.)
That right there is as real as it gets.
Closed Thread