SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th August 2020, 10:01
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default I wish people wouldn't do this

Judge how well a person is functioning based on their forum participation .
Old 30th August 2020, 12:42

Default Re: I wish people wouldn't do this

That's a very interesting statement, Firemonkey, but can you expand on what you mean by this?

I hope that you have never felt judged on this forum
Old 30th August 2020, 13:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

It's a 'You do OK on forums,so why are you struggling with x and y non forum activities? ' thing .

People can't get their head around how my verbal ability allows me to join quite a few high IQ societies, but I really struggle with practical tasks . Phrases like 'Just lazy' 'learned helplessness', 'passive aggressive' etc have been glibly spewed out.. by both professionals and non professionals

This is an excellent article from 2017 that explains things well.
Old 30th August 2020, 13:42

Mood
Cynical

^ Lack of awareness about mental health conditions and conditions like autism is still pretty widespread unfortunately. It's really shocking that professionals are still not aware of how these things can affect people's daily functioning and why though!

More discussion about it helps, I'm sorry you've had those words levelled at you though firemonkey.
Old 30th August 2020, 22:54

No, when I'm busy with other things I'm not using the forum so much. If someone has 0 views (and posts) on SAUK it would imply they don't have social anxiety or are completely ignorant of it. Yes IQ is really only one aspect of a human being, and the ability to do well in life is determined by many other factors, including charisma - whatever that is... obviously I mean like, how would you even measure charisma? Social media followers? Lots of things matter in life, and the ability to plan and make sense of things is one, but there are many.
Old 31st August 2020, 00:34

Ah, I think I understand what you mean now, Firemonkey. Thank you for explaining

As Dougella says, sadly there is still a lot of ignorance surrounding conditions such as Autism and mental health issues and it's certainly frustrating that even the professionals are no where near as knowledgeable or understanding as we would hope them to be.

I don't understand why anyone would assume that because an individual has a high IQ it would mean that they would find practical day to day activities and social interaction less challenging. If anything, I would guess that it could create more challenges

I agree with Utopia about IQ only being one aspect of a person and how so many other factors surely come in to play when determining how easily or difficult that individual finds it to function and perform in their life.

Hope that makes sense!