SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2018, 19:01

Default Do you ever feel invisible?

I’ve noticed this a lot in life but even more so now I’ve moved to a larger town. I’ll try and explain, I live in Ireland, Irish are known for their friendliness. You walk down the street strangers will speak to you, well unless your me.

I walk down and get a bus every morning. I meet quite a few people on my way, 90% don’t even look at me let alone speak yet will acknowledge the stranger walking behind me. Similar situation in the bus station, people don’t see me yet will say “Morning” to the stranger behind me.

Do you get this.
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:27

Default Re: Do you ever feel invisible?

How long have you lived their for? Maybe the people behind who you think are strangers are actually more ***8216;known***8217; than you might think ie acquaintances
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:30

Having said that I do know what you mean. Seeing Facebook photos of people at school and ex work colleagues shows that they tended to have much closer bonds than I tended to have.
Old 24th February 2018, 11:05

Mood
Relaxed

I live in London, so nobody talks.

I really hope people are not 'friendly' in the way you describe when I move out of London. I don't like talking to people I do know, let alone strangers.
Old 24th February 2018, 11:13

Mood
Tired

I've had that typical thing where a group of people are talking about an issue and I come up with the solution but get completely ignored, as if no one said anything,
Then another person in the group comes out with the same answer later on and everyone goes " oh, cool, well done"

WTF?
Old 24th February 2018, 12:42

Mood
Mellow

This strange phenomenon of feeling invisible could be explained by the following scenario [and I'm being serious here; this is not some kind of joke]:

There are actually two "yous" involved. One of them is real, and the other one is just a role being played by a character in a dream. The real you is the dreamer itself; the one having/creating the dream - the real witness of everything that happens. That witness is formless, has no objective qualities, and is therefore invisible.

But... that real you is taking yourself to be the dreamed character of "you" within the dream! And because you're so identified (in reality) with being the dream character, this whole worldly experience that we believe we're sharing with other people is actually only happening within the dream. In other words, the real you is creating what you perceive as 'the real world', with all its objects, people, events and relationships, and then living in and experiencing that world!

So why would this explain this feeling of being invisible? Because the real you is invisible. And maybe this genuine feeling of invisibility is then projected onto the character of "you" in the dream - in what, of course, you are believing is your real, everyday experience in this real, material world. Quite shocking in fact, when you think about it.