SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st January 2018, 16:04

Mood
Balanced

Default Working antidepressants

Going to try and book a GP appointment tomorrow and ask for antidepressants Got prescribed 20mg of Citalopram but had zero effect in the past.

Is anyone here on antidepressants? What do you take and do they work?
Old 21st January 2018, 16:09

Default Re: Working antidepressants

I take bupropion (Zyban) and they work like a charm. Not sure how they work exactly.
Old 22nd January 2018, 02:51

Good luck with the GP’s appointment tomorrow John

Gosh, what anti-depressants haven’t I tried over the years! Far too many to remember or mention

Unfortunately I think I must have a fairly low tolerance threshold because I’ve found that the various side effects that often accompany the antidepressants far outweigh any benefits - but, everybody reacts differently. I’ve heard people on the forum say that with the help of the right antidepressant combined with other therapies their lives have completely turned around for the better.

Years ago Citalopram (celexa/cipramil) was a bit of a life saver for me when I was suffering with a particularly bad bout of Depression but sadly it seemed to stop working after a couple of years. I tried it again recently but it made no difference

I also tried Escitalopram (cipralex) which is similar to Citalopram but is meant to come with less side effects after hearing positive things about it on here but I felt so lethargic and washed out on them I gave them up. Venlafaxine (exeffor) was another more recent drug I tried. I stopped taking that too although I don’t remember why It obviously couldn't have been helping!

I have now been prescribed Vortioxetine (Brintellix) which is a Serotonergic antidepressant that’s recently come out. As it’s new it’s more expensive than your average antidepressant so possibly not one that a GP will try you on until you've tried many others.

I’m going to be receiving the Vortioxetine on private prescription so it could prove pretty expensive, but as I don’t hold out any hope of it working I won’t need to worry about that My Doctor told me that a common side effect is nausea to the point of vomiting. Sounds like fun They are arriving tomorrow so I’m happy to keep anyone that’s interested informed of my experience on them I’d be very interested to hear of anyone else’s experience of this drug.

You might be one of the lucky ones, John, who finds an antidepressant that suits you straight away. But, if not, there’s lots of them out there and with a bit of trial and error and lots of perseverance while your body adjusts to any side effects you may find that cloud of depression gradually lifting. I really hope so. Fingers crossed for you X
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:26

Mood
Balanced

Unfortunately I feel asleep trying to stay awake to phone at the back of 8am so when I phoned it was the back of 10am that the earlier appointment that I can get booked it next Thursday 1st February. At least it is in the afternoon.
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:30

^ Aw, at least you managed to get an appointment John I always prefer afternoon appointments too possibly for the same reason you do
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:26

Mood
Fine

Been taking Paroxitine/Seroxat for years.

Has more or less "cured" the depression but less effective against anxiety.

Its very nasty to come off though, and some folk cant deal with the side effects.

But despite that, Id say that helped me a lot overall.
Old 3rd February 2018, 19:31

Mood
Mellow

Seems to depend on each individuals condition what the doctor prescribes.

Mulling over a drug change myself as clearly the one I've been taking although it's been better than the rest has not had the fullest desired effect on normal daily living for 15 years. Been going round in circles with gp, family, social services and friends for years is it the med being wonky or the environment I live in. Citalopram I think is one of the better ones but it does seem to be a bit of a lottery achieving the right balance whatever med is prescribed.
Old 3rd February 2018, 21:58

Mood
Bored

Was on Citalopram, until I got put up to 40mg then I felt nothing, then went on to 10mg Escitalopram....the best thing that has helped for me is 100mg Sertraline, which I am on at the moment.
Old 4th February 2018, 00:02

Some people respond better than others for whatever reason. I had quite severe depression after a lifetime of anxiety and I was literally cured of depression within 6 days of taking Fluoxetine at the lowest dose. I have no idea how it could have had such a strong effect, I was really surprised because I felt there were genuine reasons for me feeling so low. I think it's very rare to have such a strong effect though and signifies that I have naturally lower serotonin levels.

Everyone is different, the truth is we don't fully understand why they help some people and not others. I personally developed a tolerance, whereas others never do.
Old 4th February 2018, 14:11

As posted on the depression thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...idApp_Facebook
Old 5th February 2018, 17:02

^ There are a lot of scare stories, but the truth is I'm better on them than I would be off. It's possible they saved my life in fact.
Old 5th February 2018, 17:56

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia
^ There are a lot of scare stories, but the truth is I'm better on them than I would be off. It's possible they saved my life in fact.
Thats pretty much the way I feel about Antidepressants.

There are plenty of Side effects, but overall I feel better taking the things than not.

So the Pros outweigh the Cons for me.

But thats just a personal opinion.