SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Should post counts be eliminated?
No, leave things as they are. 18 51.43%
Yes, eliminate all trace of post counts. 3 8.57%
Remove them from next to people's names in posts, but leave them in the profiles. 8 22.86%
Create an option so that each user chooses if they see them or not. 4 11.43%
Don't care! 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 26th January 2006, 01:06

Default Post counts. Really needed?

I thought I'd raise the issue of post counts. Considering that the join date of each member of the forum is listed on their active profile, what exactly are the point of post counts? I can see only one proper reason for them, and that's to signify who are the regular posters, and who generally aren't.

I'm raising the issue of disabled post counts, because in other forums I've frequented before, doing so has often reduced on spam, elitism, and encouraged members who may be intimidated by the old regulars (in looking at post counts) to post more themselves. Now, I'm not saying at all that people here spam to improve their post counts or that they're elitist and unwelcoming, but I do feel there is an active psychological benefit to disabling post counts that will be felt in the long term by encouraging quieter voices to post more.

So, moderators, would you consider disabling post counts in VB? Or is it a no-go area?
Old 26th January 2006, 01:31

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Post counts. Really needed?

I personally like having them, not sure why though.

But I can understand the issues. Makes people competitive perhaps, makes rare posters/new posters shy.
Is it useful for us to see who is a regular poster or not? Hmm.. perhaps not useful but interesting? I'm not sure really. Gives people something to talk about, something to be proud of when they reach the big figures.
I like it simply for curiousity's sake, which I'm sure isn't a good argument, but hey ho.
Old 26th January 2006, 02:04

I'm just relating to previous experience. Generally, when forums were just beginning to become mainstream (in fairly popular circles) post counts were usually a hindrance. You either had people treating new members disrespectfully (which I'll admit rarely happens here) or those new members spamming to up their post count.

I sometimes post in frequent bursts myself but I'd much rather the numbers be disabled, as from experience, the growth of forums tends to increase when people feel they can fit in more. You find people don't leave as much after the first few days.

But then again, maybe SA-UK doesn't need a ridiculously high number of members posting daily. It's a little on the slow side, but at least people can respond thoughtfully to each other here.
Old 26th January 2006, 02:32

Mood
Dreaming

But don't you get that special tingley sensation when you reach 100 posts, 200, etc? Or is that just me?
Old 26th January 2006, 04:21

This isn't Final Fantasy.
Old 26th January 2006, 10:00
Shallah

I like post counts, and dont want to see them go.
Old 26th January 2006, 18:44
crazyfairyx

I must admit I felt rather happy when my post count got to 100, but I've been here for like six months ish lol, so not many posts for that length of time really

I'm not fussed either way tho
Old 26th January 2006, 20:58
Founder

I'm not bothered either way-I did consider this a few years ago when we moved to our former board, but compromised by removing all the 'levels' of users except for the first post.
Anne
Old 26th January 2006, 21:16

I like the post counter myself; it's just nice having it sat there in the corner of your post. And I think it's nice to see people around who have posted a lot...after all, I'm sure no-one wants this site to be full of people who post a couple of times and then never again because it doesn't have a "homely" feeling then.
Old 27th January 2006, 00:45

I can't say that people's post counts entered my head (in any negative way) when I first started coming to the site. Really, who cares?

All that mattered to me was that the forum felt friendly and inviting. As it happened, many of the more friendly here were in fact the regular posters who due to their regular visits here had incidently racked up a large number of posts.

Do people really post spam just to get their post count up on this board? I wonder if anyone cares enough to bother.

I understand the points raised, and can see the reasoning behind it, but it just seems so trivial to me. I do like to see little bits of info on screen so the post count has interest for me in that way, just as I like the members list for some reason. I think I have over 800 posts on here to date, but if the count was just 7 posts I'd not be bothered either way.

Anyhow, to me, people are what they are and act the way they act regardless of the number of posts they have in the corner of the screen. The post count is only as harmful or as harmless as we choose to see it. Anyone who treats new members with any disrespect is a prat, and they will be a prat regardless of how many posts they have under their belt. For me, the post count is no more than a harmless piece of information. I think as a lurker in the past, seeing that many people had high post counts was indicative to me that the forum had some life and vibrancy to it, so was worth sticking around and eventually joining.
Old 27th January 2006, 10:19

Mood
Dreaming

My 200th post....

Ah, that warm, fuzzy feeling again...
Old 27th January 2006, 11:09

Happy 200th post.

It's very easy to use many of Innerspace's arguments for my own, even though their own the opposite side of the divide, so I will. :D
Old 27th January 2006, 11:22
The_Godfather

I don't think anyone really cares about post counts anyway, it's not some internet gaming forum were if you don't spend 23 hours day with a post count of 10,000 there you're called a "n00b". Is it?
Old 27th January 2006, 11:26

n00b. ie.
Old 27th January 2006, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolution
I'm sure no-one wants this site to be full of people who post a couple of times and then never again
Surely this kind of response is exactly what will put people off posting in the first place. Having people who care about thier post count gives the forum an air of elitism. Sure doesn't make me fell welcome with my low posting count. I don't want to offend any of you regular posters, but I have only posted a few times, and try to post whenever I have something useful to say, but I doubt whether I'll ever get into the hundreds. Posting a few things, getting a few replies and seeing other peoples angles on things has certainly helped me get my head around my problems and given me a boost to get myself sorted. I think anything which may put people off posting is not a good thing.
Old 27th January 2006, 14:25

Mood
Torn

Why not just put the post count in people profiles rather than have it in the corner?

That way if you really want to see how many posts you or others have made then you can look it up, but at the same time its not openly advertised.
Old 27th January 2006, 14:30
The_Godfather

Why are you guys so botherd by them anyway? I haven't witnessed any members with large post counts considder themselves "Elite". That only happens on teenage forums. Plus why would a new member feel intimidated by a regular member? They're just nembers under your username, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 27th January 2006, 14:32

You see, that argument can be used to back up my points. If they're unnecessary and pointless, why not get rid of them?
Old 27th January 2006, 14:38

do lots of would-be new posters feel put off or intimidated by other more established members' post-count displays then? i can see how that might be the case on an SA forum, where even regular posters feel like 'outsiders' much of the time. if it encouraged lots more new people to post, then i'd be in favour of dropping them, but i don't know how much of a difference it would really make.
Old 27th January 2006, 14:48
Jack

If post counts are disabled then how will Raymondo ever acheive his life-long goal/his raison d'etre of being the first SAUK-er to reach a million posts?

I'm not bothered personally as it doesn't really affect me either way, but...

Old 27th January 2006, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoy
Surely this kind of response is exactly what will put people off posting in the first place. Having people who care about thier post count gives the forum an air of elitism. Sure doesn't make me fell welcome with my low posting count. I don't want to offend any of you regular posters, but I have only posted a few times, and try to post whenever I have something useful to say, but I doubt whether I'll ever get into the hundreds. Posting a few things, getting a few replies and seeing other peoples angles on things has certainly helped me get my head around my problems and given me a boost to get myself sorted. I think anything which may put people off posting is not a good thing.
Sorry, Goldenboy, I really didn't mean my comment in the way it came out. Reading it now, I can see why you took it as you did and I agree with what you have said. My original point was that personally, it makes me feel easier to post if I see there are people who have been using the site for a while. I'm a new member myself and it was a bit daunting to post here for the first time, but I felt happier knowing there were regular posters here...don't know why I feel that way, but that's just me. I guess when I made the comment, I was thinking of other sites I had been on where there were no regulars at all, just people who posted a couple of times and then never returned because there were never any responses.
I hope I didn't put anyone off from posting because that's the last thing I'd want.

Ben
Old 27th January 2006, 20:36

i don't think they're a reliable barometer of anything really, just another common forum stat. i don't know how forums work, but i'd imagine it's just part of the forum's architecture. most of my posts have been quite trivial, in the more recreational threads, music/silliness related stuff, which shot my post count up quite quickly. i'm often afraid of posting in the more serious threads for fear of giving bad advice or not really expressing myself eloquently enough, despite wanting to help and contribute. i'm sure some people with quite low post counts have posted with invaluable opinions/ observations that have been of great help to the thread starter and others.
Old 27th January 2006, 21:53
Founder

I understand what absolution said, I've joined db's only to find that everyone on there has only 2 or 3 posts which to me means that you will never get to know anyone on the site as they leave quickly, so I usually don't bother posting there.

However, as I said, I'm not bothered either way. Anyone who reads the db for a week or so knows that there are long-term posters here. I think it is technically possible to remove the post counts number, but will have to read how to do it, if that's the decision. I assume I could remove them from next to a person's name in a post and leave them in the profiles, if that seems a fair compromise to both points of view.

Anne
Old 28th January 2006, 09:04

Mood
Dreaming

I'll be sad to see the post count disappear... Please don't go!!!!
Old 28th January 2006, 09:10

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I'll be sad to see the post count disappear... Please don't go!!!!
I sense a competitive nature
Old 28th January 2006, 09:30

Mood
Dreaming

Lol. I'm not competing, I'm just sad enough to enjoy watching my post count go upwards! And of course the chance to beat all the others.... hehe.... getting closer. Now, how do I catch up to Anne's postcount? It's spamming time!
Old 28th January 2006, 09:48

Mood
Crappy

If you start a show on sauk radio you can legitimately bump your own posts - thats my technique anyway You could also try the song title game and word association threads - little thought required
Old 28th January 2006, 09:51

Aye.

:D
Old 28th January 2006, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolution
Sorry, Goldenboy, I really didn't mean my comment in the way it came out. Reading it now, I can see why you took it as you did and I agree with what you have said. My original point was that personally, it makes me feel easier to post if I see there are people who have been using the site for a while. I'm a new member myself and it was a bit daunting to post here for the first time, but I felt happier knowing there were regular posters here...don't know why I feel that way, but that's just me. I guess when I made the comment, I was thinking of other sites I had been on where there were no regulars at all, just people who posted a couple of times and then never returned because there were never any responses.
I hope I didn't put anyone off from posting because that's the last thing I'd want.

Ben
Ben. Thanks for coming back on this. Sorry I misinterpreted your original post, :embarass: and I can now completely see the way you meant it. You did say "I think it's nice to see people around who have posted a lot", and I kind of missed that clue.
Old 28th January 2006, 17:58

Mood
Dreaming

Personally when I join a board I feel like an outsider, but it has nothing to do with post counts. It just takes a while to settle into a place that's all, post count or no post count. Post counts can be useful if you're replying to someone; you have an indication of whether they'll actually reply or not.
Anyway, as I've said, I dont want to see the back of the post count. I may not have the best reasons in the world, but I just like it.
Closed Thread