SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 26th December 2006, 01:44

Mood
Sleepy

Default The Hope Thread

I am just wondering whether people here believe they can overcome their mental health issues. I really hope that i can one day say that i have recovered from Social Anxiety and Depression and can look back with a smile.

It would also be nice to hear of anyones success stories, i know there are a few on the front page of the web site, i think it would also be nice for some posts.

The main idea of this thread is that maybe we can create a sense of hope among us that we can overcome our problems.So any other words of inspiration would be nice.

Darren.
Old 26th December 2006, 01:53

Default Re: The Hope Thread

A good idea for a thread, Freespirit.

I always believe it's possible to overcome SA and depression. All I can say is that although my life was crippled for over 40 years by SA, I'm doing things now that I never even dreamed possible just 2 - 3 years ago. If a complete lost cause (which I certainly was) can improve, there is hope for everyone.

I wish everyone all the best in their efforts to overcome SA etc in 2007. Onwards and upwards!
Old 26th December 2006, 02:03

I believe so. A combination of factors have meant I've been mostly depression free for at least two months now. Anxiety is a major issue of course, but I've done things I never would have thought possible a year or so ago. I've made friends! I went out on Christmas Eve for the first time in years. I'm not 'there' yet, but I'm starting to see some kind of path towards getting there.
Old 26th December 2006, 21:27

Mood
Sad

I think i will one day overcome all of my problems, the sooner the better! I think i am probably better now than i was a year ago as i can now talk to people a bit without looking like i've seen a ghost, and i also think i've improved since i discovered about SA a couple o months ago...
The best think i think to do is to do things you are afraid of one thing at a time, starting with little things then doing them until you feel comfortable doing them, then moving on to bigger things.

Lets hope 2007 brings a change for the better to everyone on this site
Old 27th December 2006, 17:24

Mood
Torn

Yeah i believe it. I don't think i'll ever be 'cured' exactly but i believe i'll keep on getting better. My life used to be crippled by SA too, now it's walking but still with a pronounced limp
Old 27th December 2006, 21:19

i know things will get better for me, but only if i put the hard work in, it aint gonna change miraculously overnight.

If i looked at my life 2 years ago and compared it to now then its totally different, i just got to keep making the effort
Old 28th December 2006, 17:50

I started working 5 weeks ago (first time in 8 years) and before that i was finding it really hard just to leave the house. My S/A and depression over the last week since not working has came back with a vengence and to be honest with you i can,t wait to get back to work and be (MR Scaredy) around people again?

People and life in general is no way has bad has what S/A tends to make use believe and theres hope for all of us has long has we are prepared to make the effort to improve has a person.

After 10 years of suffering from this crap and not having a very good life its now my No1 goal to overcome S/A and it can be done.

With in the space of 5 weeks my Anxiety improved quiet alot and im now not giving a shit what i think people think, blau, blau, blau and just putting myself out there....There is hope
Old 28th December 2006, 18:03

Mood
Sleepy

great stuff cellard and all. It's good to try and gear ourselves up for next year.

I am really going to try my best to get better. I am going to hit it from all angles. Healthy life style, good routine, meds, counceling etc and self help and i reckon i can beat this

All the best all :D:D
Old 28th December 2006, 18:42

Thumbs up Re: The Hope Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardweller
I started working 5 weeks ago (first time in 8 years) and before that i was finding it really hard just to leave the house. My S/A and depression over the last week since not working has came back with a vengence and to be honest with you i can,t wait to get back to work and be (MR Scaredy) around people again?

People and life in general is no way has bad has what S/A tends to make use believe and theres hope for all of us has long has we are prepared to make the effort to improve has a person.

After 10 years of suffering from this crap and not having a very good life its now my No1 goal to overcome S/A and it can be done.

With in the space of 5 weeks my Anxiety improved quiet alot and im now not giving a shit what i think people think, blau, blau, blau and just putting myself out there....There is hope
Well done on starting working that's awesome!!! I guess the self esteem gained from working probably helped alot and also having something to occupy your mind leaves less room and time for negative and irrational thoughts.

But once again. Starting work for the 1st time in 8 years that isa stunning achievement.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:31
Intro Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardweller

That's an inspiring post. Well done, Cellardweller
Old 28th December 2006, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intro Guy
That's an inspiring post. Well done, Cellardweller
It most certainly is!

Well done, and I wish you continued success in 2007.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespirit
great stuff cellard and all. It's good to try and gear ourselves up for next year.

I am really going to try my best to get better. I am going to hit it from all angles. Healthy life style, good routine, meds, counceling etc and self help and i reckon i can beat this

All the best all :D:D
Just go for it Freesprit What have you got to lose?

You can beat it mate. Be posative dude and just try and get yourself out there. It will work in such a short time? It will, it will.

Peace.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Well done on starting working that's awesome!!! I guess the self esteem gained from working probably helped alot and also having something to occupy your mind leaves less room and time for negative and irrational thoughts.

But once again. Starting work for the 1st time in 8 years that isa stunning achievement.
Your right 007....I,m thinking that the root of S/A, mostly? is down to self esteem? And yer occupying you mind certainly helps lots.

Use S/Aers i don,t think ain,t no different (MENTALLY) to the norm?
We have just got our selfs in a brain rut and it getting out of it thats the hard bit.
Closed Thread