SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th February 2007, 19:38

Default went out last night

I went to a pub last night for the first time in over five years.
It was a really busy place and there were people everywhere. I was very nervous but nobody started on me, the bar staff didn't laugh at me, infact I don't think anyone even noticed me.
About seven years ago I gave up on society and have lived like a hermit ever since. I have become more and more insular and antisocial.
Last night I remembered that it can feel really good to be around other people, and that people are not all as evil as I have been imagining. I have been on a high all day.

Inevitably I will fall back into my old ways of thinking. This post is a message to my future self that I did enjoy myself last night, the world is not as dangerous as I think and I know I will feel better from going out again.
Old 9th February 2007, 22:15

Smile Re: went out last night

Maybe if you go out regularly you may not fall into your old ways of thinking and will gradually become more positive and feel that going out is more of a natural thing for you to do. This is a really good achievement though, because everyone, no matter what their situation is finds it hard to break out of their routines and the things and places where they feel safest.
Old 10th February 2007, 00:14

Default Re: went out last night

yep, it's a very good achievement. you sound like you've been stuck in a certain mindset regarding going out, and because you've avoided it for so long, you've had no other (positive) experiences to counter the bad ones that probably stopped you from going out in the first place. as such, well done for biting the bullet and going for it, the more you get out there, the easier it will get, nice one!
Old 10th February 2007, 10:32
Ruby1

Well done onone that was great to read..... keep on kicking ass chuck
Old 10th February 2007, 15:54

Mood
Pensive

That's a huge step onone, well done!
Old 10th February 2007, 16:00
CaughtByTheFuzz

Wow, what a big step, brilliant.

Well done!
Old 11th February 2007, 10:24

well done and you should be proud i am seeing a therapist at the moment i have to do a diary everyday of what i have achieved even as little as getting up in a morning i have been housebound for 7 weeks really but the buzz i get when i have done something absolutey outweighs the dread of going and i am sure you feek the same this morning. writing a diary helps you look on the positive and will help you to see your progress i also had to write what i achieved in life and even though it seems daft it has really helped. i wouls also recomend glenn harrold hypnotherpy cd on play.com at the moment there are two for £14 one is a self confidence one and the other self esteem and i have found these two a great help and will help you get rid of the demons that keep you in hope the future continues for you good luck and be proud
Old 11th February 2007, 11:14

Thanks everyone, there are such nice people on this forum

Thankfully I haven't been housebound for five years. I manage to work and go to the shops and stuff. That was just the first social thing I've done in so long, it really was a revalation.
Closed Thread