SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th September 2019, 16:18

Default Empathy?

Do you have empathy for others?

Do you feel that having mental health issues has made you more empathic of others who are in distress? And of different modes of expression?
Old 10th September 2019, 17:07

Default Re: Empathy?

Well, obviously if you have first hand experience of something it can make you more understanding of a difficult situation, but it's clear that some people completely lack any empathy, or understanding? I have no idea really, I definitely feel strong empathy and guilt for genuine wrongdoing, but really my mind works on its own. I'm completely appalled by some peoples lack of empathy for others suffering, and it just drags me down more than any personal insult ever could.

There isn't much I can really do in every case, but I wish I could.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:12

Mood
Tired

I think I have a lot of empathy since I seem to feel others pain a lot and I want to help them (I'm not good at that but I'm a good listener at least). I feel like having social anxiety and depression has definitely made more empathetic.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia
Well, obviously if you have first hand experience of something it can make you more understanding of a difficult situation, but it's clear that some people completely lack any empathy, or understanding? I have no idea really, I definitely feel strong empathy and guilt for genuine wrongdoing, but really my mind works on its own. I'm completely appalled by some peoples lack of empathy for others suffering, and it just drags me down more than any personal insult ever could.

There isn't much I can really do in every case, but I wish I could.
I agree. I too am appalled by some peoples lack of empathy for others suffering. I find it very sad and distressing. I wish I could help others more too.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks
I think I have a lot of empathy since I seem to feel others pain a lot and I want to help them (I'm not good at that but I'm a good listener at least). I feel like having social anxiety and depression has definitely made more empathetic.
Thanks for replying, I can relate to this.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:39

I'm empathetic so long as I feel the other person is genuine and not trying to manipulate me. It is a hard balance to always judge. You can be hurt a lot by assuming someone isn't trying to take advantage of you.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_endo
I'm empathetic so long as I feel the other person is genuine and not trying to manipulate me. It is a hard balance to always judge. You can be hurt a lot by assuming someone isn't trying to take advantage of you.
I've been hurt too by people who tried to take advantage of me and manipulate me. I particularly don't like people who are on some sort of power trip. Or with an extreme lack of empathy. But generally I'm empathetic of others.