Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th November 2010, 18:30

Mood
Blah

Default Making extra money

Hi. Im trying to think of other ways to make money.

The wage of which I currently earn from my current job, if possible, I don't want to ever touch it. Ideally..I'd like every single penny to go into the bank..so as it can build up. Doing this is the only chance I will ever have of moving out..without struggling.

There's two things I could try out..to see if I can make some extra money here and there. Tropical fish and photography. I could start up a guppy breeding programe again..looking to breed thousands of fish..aiming to sell each one at 50p each. They are probably the most popular selling tropical fish. I'd breed show quality strains..to make sure I got my 50p per fish.

Photography - Ok..I don't know anything about this tbh. But..there is always room to learn and improve. Im just thinking of how realistic it is to sell framed pictures (of which I would go out and take myself)?? I would print them out and frame them myself...and I'd obviously only use the best pictures I take.

I'd need a better camera, frames, good printer and buyers. For the fish..I'd need shops to buy them off of me...and a few bits and bobs..I have most of the equipment and all of the tanks though.

We have a 24x12 ft shed at the bottom of the garden. It was converted into a fish house about 3yrs ago..so it's fully insulated with new walls, new concrete floor and a new roof. At the moment it's partitioned into two sections. One half with my tanks in..all sitting on ready built shelving..and the other half also has shelving and some empty tanks...but also has a lot of junk in out of the house.

I'd just use half for the breeding and half for photography. There's a big chance that there isn't any money to be made. But even still...I like both fishkeeping and photography..so at least it is something for me to do..and it keeps me active and occupied..even if it is just travelling up to the shed lol

I was just wondering what members thought? Do you think I should go ahead and give all of this a go? Will I be too exhausted to put time into it?

I just want my own space...and the more money I can make from my current job and side projects..the better. There is even a possibilty I could buy this house off of my parents. We have spoke about it..and if they had elsewhere to go (with plenty of planning)...then the'd probably be happy to move out. As they know it will ultimately be easier for me (with my current issues) to gain my independence in this house (on my own..or shared with brother)...rather than finding a place of my own.

Anyways..yeah..I'm just trying to plan my future..and I've been putting a lot of thought into this and that.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:36
Banned

Default Re: Making extra money

Old 29th November 2010, 18:40
Banned

http://www.modelsdirect.com/
Old 29th November 2010, 18:41

Mood
Blah

Lol..I would if I could, johnni
Old 29th November 2010, 18:42

yo SS, first off the guppy breeding sounds good, my mum did that once, just make sure the big fish dont eat the offspring

As for the framing and selling ur own pics. I actually do picture framing as a job, there is quite a lot involved for u to just do it on ure own in ur shed, although it would be possible, i really wouldnt recommend it. Where will u get the materials from? I know all the main wholesalers in the UK, but they wont just sell to u without a business licence.

Tbh i actually bought a large format printer a few months ago, so i print and sell canvases as a side project to work. Mainly get commissions through my current job, and local artists/photographers etc. but even tho im ok at photography, people dont wanna buy my photos, they want their own doing. The only reason i can do this canvas thing is coz i can get materials at wholesale prices through work. Anyway, i wouldnt suggest doing this because the printer i bought cost 2k, and i doubt u would get as much back from it.

I do plan to go online with the canvas selling stuff, but im lazy and havent set up my ebay shop yet

Hope this helps, and good luck
Old 29th November 2010, 18:44

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
Lol BFG..I wish mate. Would be great to do model work..I aint all that in the flesh though..meh lol
Old 29th November 2010, 18:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSeeker
Lol BFG..I wish mate. Would be great to do model work..I aint all that in the flesh though..meh lol
doesn't matter though does it you could be an ugly bastard in real life but if you look good in pics make some money out of it. you could be sat on a fortune and not even realise it. from the response you get from pics you post on here you'd be pretty daft not to at least send some pics off to them and see what response you get.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:59

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham87
yo SS, first off the guppy breeding sounds good, my mum did that once, just make sure the big fish dont eat the offspring

As for the framing and selling ur own pics. I actually do picture framing as a job, there is quite a lot involved for u to just do it on ure own in ur shed, although it would be possible, i really wouldnt recommend it. Where will u get the materials from? I know all the main wholesalers in the UK, but they wont just sell to u without a business licence.

Tbh i actually bought a large format printer a few months ago, so i print and sell canvases as a side project to work. Mainly get commissions through my current job, and local artists/photographers etc. but even tho im ok at photography, people dont wanna buy my photos, they want their own doing. The only reason i can do this canvas thing is coz i can get materials at wholesale prices through work. Anyway, i wouldnt suggest doing this because the printer i bought cost 2k, and i doubt u would get as much back from it.

I do plan to go online with the canvas selling stuff, but im lazy and havent set up my ebay shop yet

Hope this helps, and good luck
Thanks for this graham

Lol..yeah you have to be sharp to catch the wee fry before the parents eat them. I have a lot of experience with guppie keeping..which is always good..because this time around, I can learn from my mistakes. Sometimes I'll just set a tank up and add a trio or two...then pack it out with floating hidning places an stuff. By doing this..all of the fry can hide..until I get back in from work..to seperate them. This was my usual technique..and I had quite a high save rate..hardly ever lost any.

I can run 20-25 tanks on £10-15 per week..though it's usually at the higher end during winter. Plus the cost of food. I'd have to make sure I would make more than the running costs. All potential buyers would have to be local aswell..due to the cost of delivering live fish being too high.

The photography - I might just start this up for fun, without the intention of making money. I may frame a few small pics and see if family would be interested..just to get an idea of there appeal. I don't like the cost of that printer you bought though...fek that lol

I just don't like the idea of taking and collecting pics..then pretty much having them sitting on my comuter doing nothing..where they can't really be seen. Will put some more thought into it...without taking it seriously though

Grrrr I want more money dammit
Old 29th November 2010, 19:05

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
doesn't matter though does it you could be an ugly bastard in real life but if you look good in pics make some money out of it. you could be sat on a fortune and not even realise it. from the response you get from pics you post on here you'd be pretty daft not to at least send some pics off to them and see what response you get.
Omg BFG..that sounds crazy. :eek: It actually sounds like a really appealing idea..making money from just standing there. But I couldn't do it..I don't feel good looking enough..and I suppose you have to feel it..to be it :/

Im not even photogenic. I can sometimes capture the odd half decent pic (of which Im ok with)..but other than that..I can come out horrid in pics..like rough as hell
Old 29th November 2010, 19:17

Mood
Mellow

My friend does a lot of photography as a second income...the printer's really expensive.

You don't have to frame them just mount them on boards. Most people like to choose their own frames.

You could turn your photos into greeting cards. Blank cards are about £3 per 100. www.madaboutcards.com

You could also submit them to image libraries and they pay a commission every time the image is used. They can't include people though cos of privacy laws.

Sorry...know nada about fish!
Old 29th November 2010, 19:21

Mood
Mellow

PS - what does meh mean?
Old 29th November 2010, 19:28

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phool
PS - what does meh mean?
Im not even certain tbh. I just use it..to mean pfft, sigh, don't care..stuff like that

Thanks for the advice. It's an interesting idea about the cards. I thought of this in work today. Im going to look into it..and see how realistic it may be to make money from (with all the competition/better photographers/photos).
Old 29th November 2010, 19:30

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I'm thinking of doing free clicks (I did one in summer and received £2 for a car insurance quote) as I read someone made £300 in a year/ A small amount but seeing as it doesn't take much time up and i'm already a member of a cashback site , it's be worth it and pay for...some petrol?
I'd look at moneysavingexpert as they have a section for extra incomes so should have some ideas about what you could do.
Ok CG..thanks, will check it out Is that you in your av, btw?
Old 29th November 2010, 20:10

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSeeker
Im not even certain tbh. I just use it..to mean pfft, sigh, don't care..stuff like that

Thanks for the advice. It's an interesting idea about the cards. I thought of this in work today. Im going to look into it..and see how realistic it may be to make money from (with all the competition/better photographers/photos).
I started making cards about 3 years ago, I sell A6 for £1.50, A5 £2.50 and A4 for £5. I also personalise them with peoples names etc. I make about £300-£500 per year but I only sell them at work. Try work first and move on to a street stall if it works. Or just sell them to small shops.
Old 29th November 2010, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phool
PS - what does meh mean?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh
Old 1st December 2010, 20:16

Mood
Blah

Thanks for the advice Phool

I haven't really put any more thought into this since I made this thread..as I've been too tired. Im going to make a start on this at the weekend though. The fish side of things that is. Im going to prepare all of the tanks..meaning cleaning them all up, re-positioning them..then filling them with water.

The tanks will mostly be bare bottom (no substrate) as they are easier to keep clean and better this way for keeping fry/breeding adults in. Hopefully I can set as many tanks up as possible before Christmas...then start adding fish at the start of next year.
Closed Thread