SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th May 2019, 18:13

Mood
Balanced

Default Antidepressants: Which side effects are the least tolerated?

The posting of this questionnaire re antidepressant side effects has been approved by the mods.

Antidepressants: Which side effects are the least tolerated?

Quote:
Antidepressants are used in the treatment of depression. Like most medication they may have side effects.

As there are many types of antidepressants, and as patients with depression are distinct individuals, around 30 different side effects have been reported.

The objective of this study is to identify the side effects that are least tolerated (the most troublesome/impairing) by patients.

To help researchers establish which side effects are important to patients we ask that you please participate in this survey.

You can participate if:

you are over 18 AND
you were/are currently taking antidepressants for depression OR
you are an antidepressant prescriber (e.g., psychiatrist, GP, prescribing nurse or pharmacist)

This is a participative research project: please answer the anonymous questionnaire and share it with others.

http://clinicalepidemio.fr/proceed2/en/
Old 24th May 2019, 18:58

Default Re: Antidepressants: Which side effects are the least tolerated?

I'm gonna stick my neck out and wager most ppl will say the sexual ones...

Also annoying are headaches, vertigo, nausea, constipation, depersonalisation, etc.
Old 24th May 2019, 18:59

High school shootings on the list?
Old 24th May 2019, 19:25

Mood
Cynical

I should think the sexual side effects might be high on the list. Also weight gain is a difficult one, I've heard of people who have put on as much as four stone! Luckily I haven't experienced that with the antidepressants I take, but if I had I might have had to rethink taking them, partly for potential health concerns but also the effect on my self image of that much of a weight change.
Old 25th May 2019, 16:09

I think anti-depressants that cause insomnia are pretty difficult to tolerate but, on the other hand, ones that make you feel so drowsy that you could be an extra in Night Of The Living Dead are not fit for purpose either.

Struggling with Depression was far worse for me than the prospect of suffering with side effects that cause the libido to plummet but I imagine it would be pretty intolerable for some guys, especially if they are in relationships.

I suffer with severe insomnia, feel utterly exhausted and unmotivated during the day and my libido is as flat as a pan cake but wether that's down to the medication I'm taking, my middle aged hormones or good old Depression god only knows!

Oh and I forgot to mention weight gain
Old 26th May 2019, 10:44

I really feel that the worst thing is that they all have the symptoms they are supposed to treat as listed side affects! It's horrible that in some cases you're expected to accept you could get worse before you might get better. Add to that risks like misdiagnosis and being prescribed the wrong type (bipolar vs mono-polar as one example). Often only the already more extreme cases are people likely to be monitored in the first weeks. It really is a dangerous situation.

Oh, and withdrawal effects - if you're lucky enough to feel better, you've also got to accept feeling worse for a bit to be free of them! Such fun.
Old 6th June 2019, 02:24

I could never get past a queasy head/Zombified feeling, it really pissed me off since I could feel they were helping, was on an SSRI gave up after about three months, other factors for me giving up were having a total breakdown. Now I'm afraid to go see a quack to try again since I will loose my job if it shows up on medical forms. I don't agree with GPs handing them out like candy, the people who would benefit from them the most are the mostly likely to give up without enough support.