SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th September 2018, 13:15

Unhappy **** Help? Very lonely *******

Hi,

There's quite a few things I want to address in this post. As a result it might be all over the place and for this I apologize in advance.

So, a year ago I moved from the US to the UK. It was definitely something I never thought I would do but I did in order to be w/ my current partner.
I have the opportunity to study here for 3 years currently.

It's been a year since I've moved and I feel stagnant. In a year I feel like I haven't grown.
Daily I'm finding it hard to be inspired to make any kind of work (I'm a part time artist).
See, here in the UK I don't have many friends. There's no people I can call up to just hang out. Back home I used to just call people up, I'd go to concerts, just do my own thing.
Here I sometimes feel like a lazy slug, literally because I can't hang out with anyone, I can't go to said concerts, or drive anywhere, and it just sucks. It's taken a huge tole on my mental health. I feel boring (as a recent of not speaking to people, to gain new perspectives or even make jokes!)
I am immensely lonely and I feel lost.
The only person I know here is my bf and over the course of the year it's been difficult because I know I can't hang out w/ him all the time, he has things to do, friends, family, everything I don't have here.
As much as I would like to "get out of his hair" once in awhile I end up in the same room mindlessly looking at YouTube videos until he is done working. (AND I FEEL AWFUL). I don't want to be this person anymore.

He recently started a new job, and I am incredibly happy for him. But also very jealous. I wish I had my dream job now. I wish I had people to talk to other than my partner. I know he's going to make lots of friends at work, go to pubs, etc. While I'll be stuck at home, making dinner for one.

I know it's unhealthy to think this way about my partner and I feel deeply guilty but since he is literally the only person I'm usually around, I'm jealous of him.
I'm jealous of everyone that actually has a solid group of friends they can rely on.
In a year I feel like I have not grown.
I'm slightly more independent but that's because I have to if not I think I would be worse.

I just need help, I keep saying I will join the gym to at least feel better mentally, perhaps. But even that has proven to be difficult. I get anxious that I can't even join.

I don't know what to do all of this is just making me depressed and lonely and it's not the person I want to be, but I don't know what to do.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:34

Default Re: **** Help? Very lonely *******

I can't exactly advice as I get lonely a lot myself but join that gym, no one will judge you for being there, go to one that offers classes. Yoga particularly is very good as there is no pressure, I go and the women are 10 times more flexible than me but it doesn't matter. Can't recommend it enough.
Old 18th September 2018, 14:26

Mood
Tired

Default Re: **** Help? Very lonely *******

^^

seems odd that you say,. you can't go out, you can't work, you can't go to concerts, you can't meet people, you can't drive etc. etc.
I'm just wondering why it is you feel you can't do all these things?

it sounds like you are unnecessarily limiting yourself with some kind of prohibitive mind-set,

if you are an artist,. can you possibly throw yourself into your work? sounds like you could be simply feeling uninspired and it's affecting your work?
maybe travel and look around your environment for inspiration for your work as an artist?

have you tried any of the local SA meets advertised on here in the meets section?.. there's usually a few on the go, especially in London