SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st January 2009, 12:33

Default Getting help in Cambridgeshire

*This thread is to detail places in Cambridgeshire to get help, and people***8217;s experiences of doing this. Anyone is welcome to add to it, and I update this initial post with info given.*
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHS- South Cambs
My experience ***8211; referred to Mental Health Dept. by doctor, had counselling sessions at surgery whilst on waiting list, waited about two months for assessment, one month later had six sessions of assisted therapy at the surgery with a psychologist, which incorporated elements of CBT, and was given a useful booklet. More details about this in the following post.

ARU students
ARU offers counselling to its students, details are available on their website. They also have a good selection of leaflets and pamphlets available regarding a range of different subjects, including SA, and procrastination. Their website lists books and CD***8217;s which are available to borrow, useful web links, and other sources of help ***8211; some local, some national.

Cambridge University Students and staff
Counselling services website
Offers similar services to ARU. Also has a peer support network, cognitive behaviour therapy groups, and counselling groups.

Cambridge Group Therapy centre

http://www.grouptherapycambridge.org.uk/

They offer the following therapies:
Arts therapies
Group Analysis
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Schema Focused Therapy
Gestalt (body/mind)
Family Systems & Trauma therapy

Fees are on a sliding scale. ***8220;Before joining a group you***8217;ll be seen individually by a qualified therapist who***8217;ll listen to you and help you decide whether group therapy is right for you***8221; They hold daytime and evening sessions in Cambridge city, and daytime sessions in Bar Hill and Sawston.

Cambridgeshire Primary Care Mental Health website

http://www.mentalhealth.huntsmind.org.uk/

Lifecraft

http://www.lifecraft.org.uk/

Lifecraft is a Cambridge based self-help organisation run by users and ex-users of mental health services. They provide social contact, weekly group activities and support, counselling, information, website, quarterly newsletter and some opportunities for work

1 in 4

http://www.1in4.org.uk/default.htm

Promoting World Mental Health Day campaigns and events 2008 in and around Cambridgeshire, so yes a bit out of date but:

Also contains lots more links to organisations in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, and Huntingdon. (Click on the support services link)

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.cpft.nhs.uk/
Old 21st January 2009, 12:34

Default Re: Getting help in Cambridgeshire

NHS- South Cambs

My experience was: Doctor referred me to mental health team (my situation was unusual in that I had already been on a waiting list for CBT in another county, and then moved. So was able to state this and ask to be added to waiting list for Cambs). The GP offered me counselling sessions, which took place at the surgery with a counsellor based there. I was given six sessions, which finished when I received the appointment for an assessment. I may have been able to have more sessions if I had to wait longer. This was just talk therapy, no solutions discussed (and she seemed to have a fixation on discussing my childhood, nice lady though and was nice to sit and talk about me for an hour )

I only had to wait I think 2 months to have an assessment. This took place at the surgery, and involved describing all my difficulties and anxieties to a psychologist. She sent a report to my GP (with a copy sent to me) detailing what had been discussed. I was offered up to six sessions of assisted therapy. This took place at the surgery with an assistant psychologist. If my problems had been more severe (e.g. unable to work etc.) then I would have had to attend sessions at the hospital. I’m not sure what this would have entailed, or how much support you would get.

The six sessions themselves were tailored to my needs, and particular anxieties, and incorporated elements of CBT. There was an emphasis on what I wanted to work on and achieve. I was given a 42 paged document ‘coping with anxiety’ published by Cambridge & Peterborough mental health trust. It has sections on what is anxiety, managing physical symptoms, managing anxious thoughts, and overcoming avoidance.

Some of the things we did included: completing thought records to identify distorted thinking patterns, discussing ways to challenge these thoughts and to produce a more realistic view, implementing exposure hierarchies combined with distraction and controlled breathing techniques. (This is just a summary). I didn’t have to wait very long between the assessment and starting the sessions, I think it was about a month.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:55

Have added an additional link.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:52

From another forum:

"There is to be a big conference in Linton (just outside Cambridge) on Thurs 25 June called 'making Recovery a Reality...' It's hosted by the Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust and service users, cares, professional and voluntary groups are invited. It should have a big effect on how services evolve

You can register interest by ringing 01223 726767.

Their website is here"
Closed Thread