SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th August 2023, 22:11

Default First time depression

I was just thinking of the first time I had depression, it came on like a dark cloud the week the clocks changed at the end of October, and lifted as I crossed the road as spring came.
Old 7th August 2023, 22:35

Default Re: First time depression

^ do you think the depression was linked to the change of season or was that purely coincidental? I find the onset of winter really gloomy!

My first time was when I was a teenager but I can't remember what it was like because it felt like a completely different way of experiencing the world to how I do now, like it's the memory of someone else that shares my body. I can't imagine thinking or feeling the same way as back then. A bit like trying to remember experiencing being a baby. I'm not sure if that makes sense.
Old 7th August 2023, 22:59

It was definitely linked, it was really physical in origin that time, I'm guessing.

That's really interesting you say that, I've always gone back to my mid teens as this point that was really significant to me and who I am before things got shitty, but it is quite mad when you think of how young that is, I didn't even feel mature until 7 years later. I think you're right but unlike you I feel very much connected to that person, but definitely a very different way of experiencing the world.
Old 11th August 2023, 15:26

My first and last bout with depression was a horrific experience, stemming from a breakup after 5 years of a relationship. Sounds childish, I know, but it hit me hard.

I felt empty, lost, and every little thing seemed to trigger a profound sadness in me. I couldn't eat or sleep properly, and everything that once brought joy felt dull and meaningless. My anxiety levels were through the roof, and it was affecting my work and friendships.

My parents decided I should go to exposure therapy in nyc. Those sessions really helped; my therapist had me write down my feelings, confront them, and gradually encouraged me to socialize more. One key advice was to immerse myself in hobbies I loved, like painting, and surround myself with supportive friends. Since then, I've felt more resilient and haven't faced such problems again