SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th July 2023, 21:40

Default Living as an outcast

What do you think is the best approach to take?

Trying to mix with others doesn't work, and is really bad for my self-esteem as I take all the negativity I get to heart.

I've been trying to take the learning not to care what others think approach, but I think it's just making me very bitter. My attitude tends to be "well I don't care what you think anyway" which is more me throwing a tantrum than genuinely letting go of something.

I feel like society is becoming less and less tolerant of people like me. I think I'm seen as "problematic", that seems to be the trendy modern word for it. I think as a strange man with obvious problems a lot of people are frightened of me. I like to think I'm fairly harmless, although I probably do have some questionable beliefs. It's the result of bitterness rather than anything more sinister though I think.

I think a level of acceptance is required, because I'm not going to magically become a "normal" person now, I don't know how I could do that. But I'm still very resentful. The fact that I still have to work and surround myself with others means I'm always going to have to deal with a lot of negativity aimed at me. I think I need to learn how to handle that without taking it to heart and becoming resentful.

I think I would love as a hermit if I could. I'm not sure if I need to start limiting the amount I mix with others, or just learn to just speak to people in a professional way and try to avoid any discussion about my personal life.

I think I need to learn to accept that I am always going to get a lot of grief from others and I'm never going to have any sort of friends or anything like that. I think I need to learn how to balance things. I don't know where I'd seek help for this, although there must be others in this situation. I need a different sort of guidance to the typical self help stuff.
Old 25th July 2023, 22:16

Default Re: Living as an outcast

New place, new people, new opportunities.

It's definitely worth a try if it's possible to try a new area.
Old 25th July 2023, 23:45

Default Re: Living as an outcast

Yep, I agree with Biscuits.

As you've often said that you aren't at all happy living where you are, then perhaps a new environment would suit you much better, somewhere where you will have the opportunity to meet a more diverse less narrow minded community of people. I certainly don't think you should start limiting the amount you mix with others, but rather seek out folk who you have things in common with and steer clear of toxic negative people whenever you can. It sounds to me that you have nothing to lose but everything to gain by implementing certain changes.