SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th February 2019, 13:40

Default Re: Do you regret not having kids? (or having them?)

Agree completely Consolidia. Well said.
Old 15th February 2019, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida

During some of my most miserable times (when I was experiencing a number of the above) I've wished that I had never been conceived (and my 'mother' who dumped me soon after birth must have thought the same)...But, (when my perspective on life isn't clouded by my Depression) I'm also very thankful that I've had the chance to experience many of the simple pleasures in Life. For example, a sunset on a Summers evening, a warm smile from a stranger, an embrace from a loved one, even something as utterly daft as eating a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk!

While I totally respect an individuals reasons for not wanting children I don't believe that people who choose to have children are selfishly inflicting on to them a lifetime of relentless misery and pain either.

When we have been worn down by life's heartaches it's understandable that it would make us think twice about bringing a child into the world but the average human beings life isn't one of non stop misery and totally devoid of any happiness. Life is also about love, friendship, overcoming adversity and making the most of those happier moments when they appear.

I fear that all of this sounds preachy or patronising although that's certainly never my intention. I just wanted to balance out the negative with a little positivity and perhaps even to alleviate any niggling thoughts that I must be a terribly selfish and cruel person for wanting to have a child
You're quite right about our view of life being clouded by depression. But even at my happiest I've never really thought it was worth living. It's a terrible thing to say I know. Like most people I feel pressured to 'affirm life,' call it a 'journey,' etc, but I can't be bothered. Deep down I've always felt that not being born is best. I don't want to die, and I do have moments of happiness, but I basically see life as a dreadful, unbearably sad tragedy. I always did, even as a child. Right from the start I was shocked by the suffering of animals, by the way nasty, aggressive kids seemed to thrive, etc. It's the main reason I'm not religious. I never watch nature documentaries, for example, because I know that within ten minutes a baby hippo will be being ripped apart by hyenas, or a baby rabbit will be being pecked to death by magpies and crows. Schopenhauer described nature as a "place of perpetual screaming," which it is. And we are part of nature. As a kid I was puzzled when we had to sing songs praising the monster who created the world.

You are right that life has its upsides, but I just don't think that a walk in the snow or bar of Dairy Milk is enough compensation for dying from cancer while blood bubbles out of your mouth (which is what happened to my hairdresser's dad last week).

Personality plays a major part in all this of course. And much of that is inherited. I'm a melancholic, low-energy, hyper-sensitive, socially anxious introvert. In other words, hopelessly ill-adapted to the world. My kids would almost certainly inherit some of my wretched, dysfunctional personality. And I couldn't do that to them.
Old 19th February 2019, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Personality plays a major part in all this of course. And much of that is inherited. I'm a melancholic, low-energy, hyper-sensitive, socially anxious introvert. In other words, hopelessly ill-adapted to the world. My kids would almost certainly inherit some of my wretched, dysfunctional personality. And I couldn't do that to them.
That's exactly what I have thought over the years. I could have written that word for word, but maybe we're both wrong, Moksha, and we're missing out. Too late for me to have kids now, anyway.
Old 19th February 2019, 11:13

Mood
Tired

^^

life certainly has lots of suffering and unfortunately some people can be cruel,
but, relatively speaking, it's only a few moments of intense suffering in someone's life of 70 years,. so, on balance, it's statistically very much a good life.

unless, that is,. you want to spend most of your time unproductively focusing your thinking on someone else's few moments of suffering?
I suppose it's up to you how you spend your time, but it could be argued that there are more positive, productive ways to spend your time and your thinking?
Old 21st February 2019, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
^^

life certainly has lots of suffering and unfortunately some people can be cruel,
but, relatively speaking, it's only a few moments of intense suffering in someone's life of 70 years,. so, on balance, it's statistically very much a good life.
True- for some people. The terrible thing about suffering is that it's so unevenly distributed. Some people get it all, while others are tortured from beginning to end. The truest thing ever said is that happiness comes from within. Unfortunately, no amount of CBT can alter your DNA. I never envy someone's job or family; the wheel of fortune can turn at any moment. But I do envy their inner calm and happiness. The truly lucky are the insensitive, high-energy extroverts. Some people just seem wired up differently; it's as if their brain and nervous system produce abnormally high levels of serotonin and dopamine. But god help you if you are a sensitive introvert. For people like that, those "moments of intense suffering" take place almost every day. I can't agree that "on balance it's statistically very much a good life." There are unquestionably good moments (so long as you are free of depression): watching the snow fall, walking in the country on a spring day, eating pizza, etc. But I agree with Orwell, who wrote "life is mostly suffering, and it is only the very young or the very foolish who believe otherwise." (not that I think you are foolish Vasco da Gama! You always write very interesting posts; you've just got it wrong this one time )