SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th March 2007, 03:50

Default "A little bit depressed" -- medication?

Hi.. regular member here going anonymous for this one. Basically, I want to go to a doctor and get a prescription for some sort of antidepressant, but I'm not all that sure what to say or how to go about asking him. I'm kind of worried that if you specifically ask a doctor for medication, they'll just say "no way".

I've been briefly on Xanax once or twice before, but I don't want to go back onto that because I'm discovering that anxiety isn't really the biggest of my problems. I've recently started 'putting myself out there' in social situations, etc, and I've learned one or two things about myself. Anxiety and nerves affect me, but I'm able to work my way around that, and don't find it debilitating. What I do find debilitating, is my inability to cope properly in any social situation, regardless of how much I 'expose myself' to it.

It's hard to explain, but I think I'm permanently 'a little depressed'. When I'm on my own, that's fine (being miserable doesn't generally bother me much), but in social situations, I just feel incredibly lethargic and simply cannot bring myself to chat or even smile. I can't even force myself to behave normally, and it's not for the want of trying. I've been trying for a long, long time, and I'm getting no better, which is really starting to get me down.

I don't really know what answers I'm looking for, but I suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences similar feelings regarding mild depression, which renders social interaction impossible. Also, what's the best way to approach a doctor with this type of problem? I want meds, but should I mention them or wait in the hope that the doctor offers me meds?

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Old 12th March 2007, 10:28

Default Re: "A little bit depressed" -- medication?

Hi,

I went to my docs 6 weeks ago, he listened as I explained I felt down pretty much all the time, anxious, tired throughout the day, etc.

After I explained he asked me to answer a short questionnaire, which I scored quite highly in the depression stakes. so he prescribed me citalopram and offered me to see a counsellor - which I declined. He did book me in for an assessment with the cpn which I had last week (I don't need to see her again).

I'm 6 weeks into my meds and feel loads better, initially my anxiety increased massively - but my depression lifted almost instantly. I'm getting better day by day and doing cbt on my own, which I'm enjoying actually. I don't feel spaced out (which is what I expected) - I don't feel like I'm 'on' anything - I just feel calmer and a zillion times happier. My mind doesn't feel so heavy anymore. I still feel like me - but more like I was before this horrible condition took hold of me.

If I were you I'd go in, explain how you feel and see what he advises. If he doesn't mention meds and you really do feel like you'd benefit from them then don't leave the surgery without asking. If you had an infection and the doc just gave you a plaster you wouldn't hesitate asking for antibiotics would ya?

Your doc will probably suggest meds and counselling straightaway anyway. Maybe phone your docs surgery and ask the receptionist which dr is more sympathetic to this sort of thing.

Good luck.