SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th May 2015, 20:23

Mood
Lurking

Default "Do you need a bag?"

"No thanks i've got one....." but..... do you hand your bag to the checkout assistant (lets say you are in a small supermarket where they pack for you) so they can put your items in it, or do you wait until they've put everything through, piled it all up, you've paid for it, then try to pack it all yourself while the assistant watches you and the people in the queue also watch you?

This happened to me the other night in Tesco. I could sense the young girl at the checkout just staring at me while i tried to pack my carrier bag while balancing my wallet on my other hand, handbag swinging around over my arm and my mobile ringing at the same time. Stuff like this flusters me, plus i was aware of a queue behind me and an impatient guy already unloading his things onto the counter while i packed.

What do you do? Hand the bag over or stand like an idiot packing it yourself while causing delays to everyone after you?

I think i've maybe just answered my own question by typing this.
Old 15th May 2015, 20:43

Default Re: "Do you need a bag?"

^ I think this is about a small supermarket where they don't have conveyor belts, Biscuits. Where they stretch the carrier bag over a special carrier bag stretchy thing and then drop your items in it as they scan them. So you can hold your bag while they scan everything, then try to cram everything in at light speed while your card clears, or you can hand your bag over at the start so they can pack it for you, or you can do what I do, which is put items in my bag as soon as they've been scanned. Usually I can't go as fast as the cashier, but I'm at least half packed before they ask for payment.
Old 15th May 2015, 20:55

I just get a bag (or several) and then put it/them in my other bag. It's not very environmentally friendly I know, but it's simpler.
Half the time when you say you don't need a bag, they give you one anyway. Just like I can go into Pret (ooh hark at me with my posh sarnies) and say "just this sandwich to take away please" and they'll still ask "eat in or take away?" "do you want anything else?"
Old 15th May 2015, 21:03

Mood
Lurking

Yes it's the small supermarkets i mean where there's no conveyor belt, it is indeed the carrier bag stretchy thing - good name for it David K! I'm always wary of putting things in the carrier bag, or my handbag before the transaction goes through as if there's a problem with my card, i'd have to face the indignity of hauling everything back out of my bag! I live in Scotland so we're expected to take along our own bags as shops charge 5p for them. The impatient little baldy guy who was putting his shopping down while i was still there just needed an elbowing in the ribs and told to wait his turn.
Old 15th May 2015, 21:06

I do the same as David. You do have to be fairly on the ball and there's that awkward bit at the end as you're packing the last few items when everyone is looking at you as if you're one purpose in life is to ruin their day. I also get my debit card ready before I checkout so there's no fumbling for it.
I've taken to the self service checkouts in major supermarkets. They relieve me from the dreaded checkout girl tension.
Old 15th May 2015, 21:18

Oh the self service checkouts are far worse though! The annoyance and frustration of hearing "unexpected item in the bagging area" over and over again in those smug tones when there clearly isn't anything there has sent me into a state of apoplexy too many times! I usually end up having a heated argument with the machine and then everyone stares at me and I realise what an idiot I must sound like. Then the assistant eventually comes over and waves her card at the machine as I embarrassedly say "thanks" and try to carry on as if nothing had happened. Until it breaks again at the next item because the scale is calibrated wrong, and I give up and walk out in a huff.
Old 15th May 2015, 21:31

Mood
Lurking

No worries biscuits, i should have explained it better! I know what you mean about certain things not wanting to be touched by others
Old 15th May 2015, 21:55

Mood
Lurking

Or fresh out the oven croissants stuffed down the side of my bag with all the heavy things crushing them and squishing them to a 5mm thickness like what happened last Saturday morning....

Ah no, that was my breakfast and i couldn't be bothered going back out in the rain for more.