SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th July 2016, 16:50

Mood
Artistic

Default Does being embarrassed about your body stop you enjoying the summer months?

In a era of media driven body perfection, do any of you feel embarrassed about getting topless or into swim wear because of something about your body you don't like that you don't want anyone to see?
Old 20th July 2016, 16:52

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Does being embarrassed about your body stop you enjoying the summer months?

Yes.
Old 20th July 2016, 17:05

Mood
Artistic

Default Re: Does being embarrassed about your body stop you enjoying the summer months?

Any of you brave enough to say what the issue is?

My issue you'll find strange...
Old 20th July 2016, 17:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Yes. If I lost a little bit more weight I might be more comfortable. Which is daft really, I see ppl much more out of shape then me wearing what they like and not giving a damn (good for them I might add) but I struggle with it.

No where near swim wear but I wore a really thin cardi the s'morning (it was windy to begin with here) and the coordinator at my vol. job gasped and said 'your wearing a cardi!'. I did take it off cause it was staring to get too warm but I thought, yay way to make me feel rubbish...
Old 20th July 2016, 17:13

Mood
Artistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Yes. If I lost a little bit more weight I might be more comfortable. Which is daft really, I see ppl much more out of shape then me wearing what they like and not giving a damn (good for them I might add) but I struggle with it.

No where near swim wear but I wore a really thin cardi the s'morning (it was windy to begin with here) and the coordinator at my vol. job gasped and said 'your wearing a cardi!'. I did take it off cause it was staring to get too warm but I thought, yay way to make me feel rubbish...
I know how you feel there. I'm a little bit on the chubby side but not enough to bother me. I just wanna strip in this heat but i can't
Old 20th July 2016, 17:19

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M

Oh there are many

I'm naturally very pale. I'm relatively slim but I don't have a flat stomach, I have imperfections on my legs and arms, my feet are terrible and in the heat my hair gets frizzy and I look sweaty and uncomfortable.

I also don't like feeling exposed in any way or like people might be looking at me. I prefer to keep my coat on.
Old 20th July 2016, 17:24
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Yes, I could never go about with my shirt off - I look like an oven ready chicken.
Think I could just manage to wear a pair of shorts though and show off my sparrows legs.
And just for the record the part of my body I hate the most is my feet - I inherited my dads lanky toes.
Old 20th July 2016, 17:45

Mood
Artistic

Lol...i mean i honestly consider things like lanky toes, frizzy hairs and sparrows legs are such trivial things. I probably wouldn't even notice it on you.

I guess i'm talking more of body deformities that are unique to you...and very rarely if at all does anyone have the same problem. Maybe there's a huge scar, or spot or some other kind of area of yourself you hate that other people just don't have.

Here's mine...god.....lol...

Ok...here's mine. I have an oddly shaped belly button
Old 20th July 2016, 18:27

Get yer legs out, get yer legs out, get-yer-legs-out-for-the-lads! Get yer legs out for the lads

I've been told that i have sexy legs, but i'm an Englishman and must always wear trousers outdoors. Same policy for the top: it ain't coming off.

I've got nowt to be embarrassed about really, although i'm a bit shy of my upper body (tis lacking a little bit of bulk/mass).
Old 20th July 2016, 18:38

... Not quite sure what version you're referring to ..??
Old 20th July 2016, 18:52

Doesn't stop me enjoying it. But you wouldn't catch me with my top off (birthmark), I try wear long sleeve stuff but my arms ok, shorts I have for first time in a few years got some shorts, but mostly just worn them at home.
Old 20th July 2016, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupAJ1M

Might not be stranger than mine.
Old 20th July 2016, 20:44
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplesnarf
^i know lol
She's after the brand I'm buying, cos she's know I sometimes get rid of stuff I haven't worn too much and she gets some of my old stuff.
I think she thought my bras would fit her too you see.
Could've been worse, least it wasn't my knickers she wanted

lol dont you sell them online purplesnarf? :p
Old 20th July 2016, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSAguy
lol dont you sell them online purplesnarf? :p

I hate my body and would never go outside without a T-shirt or go swimming, I'm fairly slim but due to bloating and eating rubbish all the time I have quite a large belly, sometimes I look like an alien's just about to burst out.
Old 20th July 2016, 21:18

No, I look like an ordinary young woman, just shorter.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:16

Jinny me wench.

I hate my fecking feet and my moobs, gut, pale skin and shit tats.

Can't do **** all about my feet so can't get motivated to get rid of the gut, moobs and maybe get the tats covered up or removed.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
I have terrible feet. When I was younger people sometimes commented on them
I can relate to that. I have bunions, and they started being very obvious, from childhood. People are so tactless. I am still ashamed of them and won't wear open sandals even in the hottest day of summer.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion10
No, I look like an ordinary young woman, just shorter.
Lucky cow.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Lucas
Yes. 100%.
Aye, what J said, 100%.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:36

There needs to be bunions acceptance. I am always very admirative of the (very rare) women I see who dare bare their bunions. I wish I could feel carefree about them. Same here, flip flops at home, but flip flops out in the school runs: only in my wildest dreams.
But who knows, it might happen some day. I made peace with my glasses, I may make peace with my bunions some day.
Old 20th July 2016, 23:50

Mood
Alienated

Yes it does a bit.

In the spring, summer and autumn, I can just about get away with looking 'trendy'.
But at times like these, people are in their shorts which I can't wear due to my deformed legs. So I feel ridiculous wearing trousers.
Also, I'm not sure where they suddenly appear from, but the attractive people are just everywhere and I feel so out of place. I should get back to winter where I belong.
Old 21st July 2016, 00:04

Quote:
What on earth can be wrong with your feet??

You're a man, they can be any which way!

I'm female and for some reason the old Chinese custom of foot binding hasn't moved on so much. My feet are a size 7 & I have long toes & I may as well have hands for feet for the amount of mean comments it's caused over the years

Jinny trust me my feet ain't right.

They aren't ugly, they just ain't right.

I've actually messaged a member about it today but don't want to talk about it with anyone else.
Old 21st July 2016, 01:50

I like the Summer time (so long as it's not scorching hot), lighter evenings, countryside walks, pottering about in the garden....

but, it is spoilt for me by needing to wear less clothes

I'm not massively over weight but an extra stone or two makes all the difference to how awful I feel about myself in Summer clothes. For the first time in years I was so hot that I wore shorts (they were my husbands ) while on a countryside walk. Thank god, we didn't see a soul although they probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as disgusted as I was when I saw the photos later. Urghh. And I loathe the way the sun brings out the freckles on my pale bare arms. Weird, because on other people I think they look fine. Like others here, I also have unsightly bunions so I can't wear the kind of pretty summer sandals I would love because they are all too darn uncomfortable. And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, every time I now squint in the sunshine it leaves deep wrinkles around my eyes

I feel so envious of folk who are comfortable in their own skin and can happily let it all hang out, warts n' all!
Old 21st July 2016, 22:31
Banned at own request

Mood
Dreaming

Without a doubt. I hate not being able to hide behind a large coat and hood.
Old 21st July 2016, 22:42

Not really any more. I was fine with going to the beach and taking a swim in just swimming shorts when I was on holiday.
It helps that I've lost about three stone this year, I'm still not the weight I want to be but I feel more comfortable with my self-image and I've even been getting some almost flirty responses from women from time to time! OK maybe I'm imagining that bit.
Old 21st July 2016, 22:43

No. My body has nothing to do with it. I hate all seasons equally.
Old 21st July 2016, 22:43

Quote:
ahh, hope it's something fixable x
I'm afraid not me wench.

Shouldn't let it bother me anymore.

It's completely and utterly pointless giving it a second thought.

Obsessing over stuff BDD style is a pain in the bum bum.
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:36
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Whilst we're on the subject of feet, I also inherited my dad's weird toes. Also, a few years ago I got an infection in the big one, meaning that the nail had to be removed, grew back but not thick enough and a revolting colour, best no-one looks at it TBH.

Haven't been swimming for years, due to what Miranda Hart calls 'Swim-min,' having to do a full blitz on all body hair, including places you'd never dream of shaving normally.

Why did the bathing suit go out of fashion?