SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th March 2008, 16:23

Default Soul Sucker

This week in work I had to come in during the day to do some training and I ended up having to assist in interviewing 4 people for a job position. The manager who usually assisted called in sick and my boss thought it would be good experience for me.

I was very nervous during the first interview, more so than the person being interviewed, which I found somewhat ironic. I think I managed alright. It was basically a case of asking a set questions and scribbling down their answers.

By the third interview I was beginning to become somewhat comfortable. We then went for lunch and I was feeling pretty good about things.

After lunch we had one last interview. We quickly went over her application. She ticked all the boxes; she had worked in the same type of job previously, was willing to start immediately etc...

My boss brought this woman in and introduced her to me. So far, so good. We then began with the questions. This woman launched into this series of rants like she was on drugs. Talking really fast about her past experiences, about the essential ingredients of a team, about targets/deadlines/prioritizing her workload....

I found it very hard to concentrate. So much information was being thrown at my brain that I often found myself switching off. The interview lasted close to an hour. By the end I was mentally exhausted. I kept imagining working with this person and her doing my head in with her extroverted ways.

My boss turned to me when the woman had left and said, 'she was perfect'. I wanted to tell her how depressed I was left feeling. I did tell her that it felt like this woman had just sucked all my life force and my boss took it as a joke.

The rest of the day I spent trying to regain mental momentum and tt took awhile to do so.

I just found it interesting how badly this one person affected me. Strangely enough, my boss mentioned that she was buzzing after the interview.

Any thoughts on this are very welcome.
Old 8th March 2008, 17:23
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Cheerful

Default Re: Soul Sucker

It sounds like a really difficult situation to be in, interviewing people. I think you should pat yourself on the back for getting through that if nothing else
Old 8th March 2008, 17:44

Mood
Blah

Maybe she was also nervous and this translated into her talking faster. I know i tend to do that alot when im nervous. She also may have just wanted to impress by showing how much knowledge she had etc. Remember your boss doesnt care for how she may come across to other workers, just if she is good enough to do the job she will be paying her for.
Old 8th March 2008, 18:04

Yeah, I can see that despite my reaction to her she did say the rights things, was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. However, the real issue I was trying to convey is the idea that one person could have such an affect on my mental state of mind and in such a short period of time.

It really scared me and brought me down to think that certain people could affect me in such a negative way and not mean to.
Old 8th March 2008, 20:08

Post Re: Soul Sucker

Did you envy her?
Old 8th March 2008, 20:53

Honestly...... not at all. Almost the opposite. I found myself wanting to get away from her. Not someone I would look up to, nor be in the company of.

I mean, she wasn't a bad person or anything, she just seemed to be sucking my soul. lol.
Old 8th March 2008, 21:43

Mood
Crappy

I have done work with auras in the past, I learnt, as much as you may laugh, that certains peoples energies do not mix well together, clashing of the auras so to speak.. Ever got the feeling you don't like someone when you have only just met, for no apparent reason? I think this is it , they can literally suck your energy esp. if you are sensitive to such things. You need some aura protection if she comes to work with you, I'll tell you how :D
Closed Thread