SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th February 2013, 21:04

Default Hello new to this site!!!

Hi I'm James and just recently discovered this site and the fact that I might have some form of social anxiety. Reading people's posts and stories it is heart warming to know that there are other people who share the same issues as myself and can find life difficult at times. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who feels alone sometimes.

Firstly I'm not sure if I have this condition as I kind of self diagnosed myself with having some kind of psychosis in my late teens and thought I was losing my mind!!! I was very quiet at school and college; and always socially awkward around large groups. After hearing voices and getting intense paranoia I found myself at my local GP in a bad way and they put me on Citalopram and Sulpiride which I have been on for around 16 years (I'm 34 now). Over time I have learned to realise that this “psychosis” stems more from my recreational drug use (cannabis, ecstasy, cocaine) and a recent trip to my psychiatrist confirms that I am susceptible to these kinds of drugs for which I no longer use.

I have some good friends who do understand me and I can talk to in confidence; I’m also fairly outgoing at times (love karaoke, have been travelling around the world, hold down a good job). Reading other peoples stories makes me think that I have partly recovered and I do lead a relatively normal life. However deep down I know I am different to others and will always be perhaps a bit socially awkward. I’ve never had a proper girlfriend, I am a wreck without my medication, and I tend to drink too much in social situations outside work makes me think otherwise.

Anyway that’s pretty much me!
Old 14th February 2013, 21:48

Mood
Gloomy

Default Re: Hello new to this site!!!

Hi James, welcome to Sauk! Glad you found the site and I hope you find it helpful, I know I have
Old 14th February 2013, 22:09

Mood
Pensive

hi welcome to the site
Old 15th February 2013, 09:43

Welcome Tyler Durden. First rule about SAUK. You do not talk about SAUK. Well, you can try but the SA will probably put an end to that. I jest. Really happy to hear how far you've come already. Hope you find the place useful and well done taking the first step.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:17

Epic username!
Old 15th February 2013, 12:25

Mood
Crappy

Welcome :-)
Old 15th February 2013, 19:17

Hi James
Old 18th February 2013, 10:06