SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th June 2006, 20:14

Default Job dilemna, advice reqd ASAP

Have read this board for a while now but not contributed up till now.

Brief background of me is that I'm fairly sure I've got SA but never been officially diagnosed. All I know is when I take online tests I pretty much tick every box. It comes and goes in waves for me (each wave lasting about 3 weeks or so, bad then not-so-bad, bad then not-so-bad).

I am after some advice. I currently work in an office where though not comfortable I can relatively easily manage. Someone has offered me a new job that is better in nearly all respects but the only issue is that it would involve working from home/with one other person. My big worry is that taking this new job could set me back quite a few steps on the SA ladder as I would "unlearn" how to feel relatively comfortable in an environment where you have to speak to different people on different days. Also with my SA, the office environment as it stands is probably my main source of social contact.

So what should I do? Quite a strange situation in that SA isn't preventing me taking the social option, it's almost forcing me to take it when most people probably wouldn't! Any advice I need ASAP as I need to decide tomorrow.

Thanks all...
Old 4th June 2006, 20:30

Default Re: Job dilemna, advice reqd ASAP

I personally wouldn't take it.

Your mental health is far more important than any job....if you find your current environment reasonably comfortable then I really wouldn't risk losing that.

I left work years ago when I had my children and I'm finding it hellish to even think of applying for jobs. I don't think I even had SA before I stayed at home with my kids (or if I did it certainly was debilitating like it is now).

I used to be able to manage comfortably in most situations - now most situations freak me out

I wish I hadn't stepped back because now my comfort zone is far smaller than it was before.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do anyway....go with your gut instinct - if you think you'll be ok then go for it but just make sure you don't withdraw from 'the real world' completely.
Old 4th June 2006, 20:52

Thanks for your advice. Obviously it works differently for different people, but deep down I think you're probably right. I really really don't want to turn this job down and it's tempting to just say yes but I fear it could really set me back SA-wise. Really frustrating.
Old 4th June 2006, 22:07

Hi There,

I took a sales account manager in engineering 3 years back, working from home. I visit head office on my own terms and also my client base.

For me it empowered me more, meaning that I could plan my meetings around some ofmy anxiety symptoms, eg. if i needed to have a good sleep I would not book an early morning visit etc.

I wouldn't do the job if it's 100% home based, that just isn't healthy.

GL
Old 4th June 2006, 23:55

Hi,
I sympathise with this, the more I manage to avoid going out the worse my SA becomes.
I think, as the others have said, your health has to be a priority. If you believe that taking the job would set you back then you shouldnt take it.
If you really want the job then prehaps you could consider if there is any way you could take the job but still put yourself in the same social situations that your current job puts you in. Imnot really sure how this would work or if there are opportunities for you to do this, but I certainly agree that you shouldnt withdraw from the real world completely.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Closed Thread