SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd June 2016, 21:45

Mood
Sad

Default Re: Do you run?

Yay for sports bras!
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:28

I want to go for a run this weekend
Old 3rd June 2016, 06:52

I have done in the past but if I do its pre 6am before anyone is about.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Amsterdam
That's good going, Marco.
I'd like to be able to run that far and more but never could. I was always best suited to short distance at speed. Isn't it to do with muscle fibres or something? Slow-twitch muscle fibres being better for endurance and fast-twitch more suited to quick energy bursts. I think I was given more fast-twitch fibres in my genetic make-up.

My cousin used to run ten miles without breaking sweat, and I'd sometimes ride alongside him on a mountain bike. I could never run the distances he could, and he could never do me for pace over short distances.

These days it's just a few miles at any pace I can muster.

It's good to hear that your knees are still being kind to you.

I got back into running again a few years ago as part of the CBT I was having. It was part of living by my personal values. Keeping fairly fit was something I'd let slip, so I vowed to reintroduce it. By running just this easily managable distance and cutting out 90% of the junk I was eating I lost 2.5 stones in weight and felt a million times better in myself. Even if not running, I'd certainly recommend regular exercise for people with anxiety and/or depression. I know motivation is often thin on the ground, and you often have to force it initially even though you don't feel like it, but the rewards can be worth it.
Yeah I must have relatively more slow-twitch muscle. I’m definitely built more for endurance than power. I’ve always found longer distance running and hill walking quite easy. I guess I’m lucky that way. It’s interesting that others on this forum that do go in for running are also self-conscious and prefer to run where they won’t be seen. I’m still slightly self-conscious, but nowadays I often just force myself out even when I know it might be busy with human traffic, and rarely does anyone bother me. For me running and walking are great ways of helping to control stress and anxiety.
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:48

I run to the front door when the takeaway arrives, but that's about it.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:12

Mood
Bashful

Run approx 4 times a week +/- although I prefer other exercises such as rowing machine
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:16

I used to with a mate at the crack of dawn nearly every day. Was good whilst it lasted. Since, I don't really exercise at all.
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:40

I would love to run more if it wasn't for my anxiety of passing other humans while running or being outside on general :/
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:27

Mood
Lurking

^
I, too, find that a great way of making sure I keep up a good pace when running around the park is to stay in the slip stream of a female jogger with a great bum.
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:38

Mood
Lurking

Yes. I run to the bus stop in the mornings when I leave home for work too late.

(In other words, no.)
Old 3rd June 2016, 23:42

Mood
Tired

Again, occasionally, no more than three times or twice a week and even so, not every week. Never had any problems. It's just the having to do warm-ups rather than 5 min walk first (fear of injury if I don't, since I feel so tired all the time) that tends to affect my motivation.

Sometimes when I do run, I get the urge to go into a full resistance workout afterwards, I get hooked on the feeling. Sometimes I overdo the workout, knacker myself out, and feel demotivated later. Anyone get that?
Old 4th June 2016, 00:16

If anyone into running, I have a couple of friends into running, look for parkrun, or running clubs. Parkrun is a famous one across the country, and people from avid runners to fast walkers go to that I heard. Also in a group you're less self conscious.
Old 4th June 2016, 00:19

I used to but I don't even like walking. I prefer swimming or (rarely) tennis, tried rolling blading but that just hurt.
Old 4th June 2016, 21:39

Mood
Lurking

Unfortunately i couldn't run the length of myself.

I do love walking though and i can fast-walk for miles, but when i run after a few seconds i feel like i can hardly breathe and my lungs are going to explode. Also, i wobble.
Old 4th June 2016, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde33
Unfortunately i couldn't run the length of myself
Old 5th June 2016, 20:45

Mood
Relaxed

I sink in water now. Floating was so easy as a fat kid.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
If anyone into running, I have a couple of friends into running, look for parkrun, or running clubs. Parkrun is a famous one across the country, and people from avid runners to fast walkers go to that I heard. Also in a group you're less self conscious.
Park runs are great, especially if you're new to running. As Ramon said, you can walk it if you want to. I'm
In a good facebook group for women (pm me if you want the name) which again is very supportive whatever your level. I'm sure there are mixed groups that are equally as good. Couch to 5k is a good way to get into it, you can download a free app and do it solo, or find a local group. Running clubs usually have a beginner's group, or if you have a running shop nearby they often run them too.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with running. Part of the problem is I have to mainly stick to running around my village which is very dull. I much prefer trail running. I've done a couple of obstacle races which are awesome, but I've had a knee injury since before Christmas so haven't been running much. I've just got a new pair of trainers, as my old ones were too small, so hoping they will help. I'm going to try and build myself back up to being able to run 5k so I can sign up to another OCR in the autumn.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:45

Mood
Fine

I used to run alot, just last year I was training for a half marathon but I started smoking again after quitting and haven't managed to quit since so the running isn't happening at the minute, am fine doing weights and stuff but my cardio isn't great now.
Old 6th June 2016, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2013
Are you a keen runner or have you just started, how do you manage with nerves/anxiety?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
I really got into running when I was 26/27 and used to run most days and alternated it with cycling, but it became a bit compulsive and I stopped completely a few years ago(when the proverbial shit hit the fan). I'm probably at a weight where I could realistically start again but the thoughts of doing anything intense make me .+ the dog enjoys his lazy long walks.
At the start I remember being so conscious of the sight of me jogging, but the plan I used "couch to 5k", Betty mentioned it, helped as I only had to jog small spurts at the start; gradual exposure and all that .
Old 6th June 2016, 22:22

Mood
Tired

I started running last week. although I only went out twice due to feeling extremely bad over the weekend. I say running I was doing week 1 of the nhs c25k plan. So it was 60 seconds jogging/90 seconds walking for a total of 20mins.

I'd like some advice from the more seasoned runners, My problem isn't getting out of breath, in fact, my heart beat hardly rises. My issue is I get extremely bad shin splints, feels like my leg is about to snap in half, I'm not really sure what i should be doing to strengthen them.
Old 6th June 2016, 22:28

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walden
I started running last week. although I only went out twice due to feeling extremely bad over the weekend. I say running I was doing week 1 of the nhs c25k plan. So it was 60 seconds jogging/90 seconds walking for a total of 20mins.

I'd like some advice from the more seasoned runners, My problem isn't getting out of breath, in fact, my heart beat hardly rises. My issue is I get extremely bad shin splints, which I get after like 60seconds of jogging. feels like my leg is about to snap in half, I'm not really sure what i should be doing to strengthen them.
Leg exercises you could do, I used to get the same, think a change off trainers and focussing alot more on leg exercises at the gym helped me. Go on the cross trainer aswell. It will go away the longer you run for and as your legs get more used to running.
Old 6th June 2016, 22:32

Mood
Fine

Just build yourself up gradually and maybe run on softer surfaces if your not already like on grass instead of concrete.
Old 8th June 2016, 18:47

What shoes are you using Walden? Make sure you have proper running shoes and that they're at least a half a size bigger than you normally wear. I don't really know much about shin splints, I thought you usually get them if you increase the distance too rapidly? I'd probably slow it down even if it feels like you're breathing easily. It might be that your lungs are stronger than your leg muscles?

I just did 3k of intervals with no knee niggle, so hopefully that's the last of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk