SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th March 2012, 17:17

Default Gay pubs, less aggressive ?

Earlier I remembered a conversation I overheard some months back.

These two blokes were on the train discussing pubs and I was listening to their conversation as I usually do. It got around to pubs and one said something along the lines of "I prefer gay pubs, no fighting and peaceful".
Is this true or a bit of a stereotype (if indeed it is a stereotype, I've never heard it before) ?

Would you ever seek out a gay pub for this reason ?
Old 11th March 2012, 17:18
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Default Re: Gay pubs, less aggressive ?

I'm not gay and I dont drink lol,so no.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:25

I don't think it's that hard to find a pub that's not aggressive. Depends where you live I guess.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:27

I agree, but I'm just curious if this bloke's beliefs were in any way true. Are gay pubs specificity less aggressive & peaceful.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:30

Ah right. Hard to know really, I don't expect much difference and it would depend on each crowd.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:37

Mood
Bookworm

It's probably true by and large.

though definitely not on ladies night
Old 11th March 2012, 17:47

Mood
Creative

If you are talking about cities, yeah that's true. Also a more colourful experience as pubs go. Nice night out without arseholes doing the 'did you spill my pint' routine.
Old 11th March 2012, 17:53

I imagine there would be fewer football hooligan types, maybe?
Old 11th March 2012, 18:28

i rather not drink at all cos i end up doing stuff i regret like posting stupid videos.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:48

Mood
Fine

I think there's some gay bars where they force you to Tango dance...
Old 11th March 2012, 18:49
Banned

Might aswell

Old 11th March 2012, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy

These two blokes were on the train discussing pubs and I was listening to their conversation as I usually do. It got around to pubs and one said something along the lines of "I prefer gay pubs, no fighting and peaceful".
Is this true or a bit of a stereotype (if indeed it is a stereotype, I've never heard it before) ?

As a woman, they're much much less threatening. I've been assaulted in straight clubs numerous times, but never in a gay club (not that I've been to many). It's always been a jolly experience for me.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:05

Mood
Lurking

Quote:

Without question they are, in general, far less aggressive and far more fun places. I went out on the gay scene every week for many years with different girlfriends, and still pop in now and again. Even when we go abroad we like to hit the gay scene. I remember Gran Canaria having a big gay scene, so me and my then partner would go there rather than be bothered with the drunks and rowdies in the mainstream bars and clubs.

In well over a decade of weekly attendance of gay bars and pubs I cannot recall a fight between males. The only bother I've ever seen has been between butch lesbians. The only time I noticed a bad atmosphere was when for a few weeks a group of hetero' skinheads came in with a really cool skinhead regular. Their little minds seemed fried by seeing gay people kiss or just be together, so the doorstaff moved them on.

I know loads of really hot heterosexual females go to gay clubs to avoid the idiots they encounter in mainstream clubs and pubs. Pretty much all the women I've been out with prefer the gay scene to the hetero' scene. I think I first hit the gay scene in the early 80's and still go in now and again. If I ever venture into Manchester I won't entertain any other area to drink in than Canal Street. As I said, in all the time between then and now, I can't recall seeing a fight amongst males. I'm not suggesting they have never happened, but I 've never seen it in hundreds and hundreds of visits.

It was always similar in Goth bars and clubs back in the day. Safe, fun civilised and non-aggressive. Just feels like a better class of people in them, as on the gay scene. I think it's telling that so many hetero' females prefer the gay scene to the mainstream meat markets full of tanked-up or beaked-up aggressive idiots. Give me tha gay scene every time. I've met lovely hetero' women on the scene, so no worries about finding a partner when I was interestd in doing so.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:18
Banned

I went to a couple of bars on Canal st once, the first it was still early so hardly any-one else there so can't really judge. The next place we went (I was with a group of mixed sex, mixed orientation) it was just like a regular pub, I wouldn't have known it was a gay pub really. There was a drunken guy at the bar though, which I found a little intimidating (I don't know if he was trying it on or not as couldn't really tell what he was on about, he was very drunk and was making it difficult for us to order our drinks) but I imagine in general there wouldn't be much trouble but I've not exactly had much trouble in regular pubs either really.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:24

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-moving-lines
It's probably true by and large.

though definitely not on ladies night

True some of the most aggressive mofos on the earth them bulldykes! (can i say that here?)
Old 11th March 2012, 23:32
Banned

And now the thread gets interesting.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
Might aswell

Lol I love that song. I've always wondered if the guy singing it is actually gay though.
Old 12th March 2012, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
And now the thread gets interesting.
The sensible replies are very interesting.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:08

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
The sensible replies are very interesting.
Believe or not that is a sensible reply. Disrespect a bulldyke at your peril, this includes looking at her other half, spilling her drink, bumping into her or treading on her footwear. They don't give you much warning and will just swing with little provocation.
Old 13th March 2012, 00:22

Mood
Scurvy

In my yoof as a young Punk in late 80's Edinburgh we always went to the Gay Disco on Princess Street. One of the few places we wouldn't get our heads kicked in and friendly as hell. I suppose we were all outsiders, so it was cool.

I remember standing in line to get to the urinals and then realising it was just guys standing against the wall watching everyone pee, strange and fun times.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:44

Mood
Balanced

I don't like going into any pubs or a bar, gay or straight
Old 8th April 2012, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
True some of the most aggressive mofos on the earth them bulldykes! (can i say that here?)
I went to see Groove Armada DJ-ing at a gay club in London once, and the only slightly negative experience was a butch girl who shouldered in front of me in the coat-check queue
Old 8th April 2012, 21:05

Mood
Sick

The gay pubs around here get a lot of fights.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:11
Banned

^And the normal pubs also? I heard it's rough in Newport.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:52

Being the perennial anti-social saer, the only friend I managed to make at university happened to be gay. I ended up aquainting myself with some of the gay friendly pubs of Aberdeen, which on the whole I must admit were fairly non-aggressive environments. Nontheless, my sa still kicked in and I stuck to my friend like glue. It was preferrable to make folk believe I was gay and his partner rather than getting hit on. In retrospect I realise this was silly behaviour; the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing. You get older and wiser.

I invited him over to my folks in Barcelona Spain. We ended up going out to a few clubs in Sitges, (about 40 kms south of the city). Sitges is the most gay friendly resort in Spain. Men can basically walk hand in hand through the town without anyone batting an eyelid -this in a catholic country go figure! I remember my school classmates going out here one night when they were about 15, and this one story of a group of them ending up in a gay pub. One happened to be bent over a pool table playing his shot, next thing an older guy about 6ft tall approaches him and puts an arm round him. His mates sprint out of the pub as fast as their legs can carry them in a mixture of fear and fits of laughter. Anyway fastforward ten years and here am I in a similar pub in the same town with my gay friend. Great non-intimidating atmosphere. I then decide to go down to the basement in search of the toilets end up in what is known as a "dark room". Much to my discomfort I spot a younger brother of one of my classmates at school. Last time I saw him he was in primary school. To cut a long story short, a dark room isn't just a place where you chill out.......Despite being ten years older but none the wiser, my reaction wasn't all that different to those classmates.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:40

Well being gay myself, I do find gay bars more relaxed I used to go to one regulary with some friends and it had lots of sitting areas the one we would normally sit at had 2 sofas and a coffee table, we would have a few pints and a good catch up and when they had live music and stuff you just had a good time and everyone is always friendly. I prefer the older style bars though.