SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2020, 21:23
Banned

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

biscuits, is it not under warranty with the contract? could they replace the handset?
Old 24th February 2020, 19:40

Enough time has probably elapsed since I sent a message to someone where my phone had autocorrected Saul to SAUK and they thought to google and look on the site and potentially identify me from a message like this one or another that I was going to post referencing something we did.
Old 24th February 2020, 21:18

Did they mention sauk to you?
Old 25th February 2020, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
autocorrected Saul to SAUK
Better Call SAUK

What a show that would be.
Old 26th February 2020, 13:05

^ Indeedy. I baggsie Fring - I'm good at doing a polite but slightly sinister veneer with a dash of homo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs16
Did they mention sauk to you?
Nope. But I've told them about the social anxiety so it seemed like a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Or (more likely) they're clicking around here trying to work out which one is you....
Haha. They'd probably head to Sore Anus UK first tbh.
Old 26th February 2020, 19:50

Mood
Alienated

I was hoovering 15hrs ago

I certainly know how to live.

Better Call SAUK? I'll be the sound guy in Sauls little rag time crew of media students..he doesnt seem to do much apart from hold a microphone and say the odd awkward line, I can do it!
Old 26th February 2020, 21:06
Banned

my mum is now older than her mum was, when her mum went(passed away).
Old 27th February 2020, 20:38
Banned

Tropicana now comes in 950ml and 850ml cartons. theyre trying to pull an innocent smoothie, reducing the size of cartons without customers noticing. reducing by 15% is taking the __ sligthtly.
Old 27th February 2020, 20:53

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appear
Enough time has probably elapsed since I sent a message to someone where my phone had autocorrected Saul to SAUK and they thought to google and look on the site and potentially identify me from a message like this one or another that I was going to post referencing something we did.
Haha I get paranoid about this too, hoping I'm not identified by my posts which include other people and things I get up to.
Old 27th February 2020, 20:56

Mood
Insomnious

I'm wondering if my oldest son will ever go to sleep easily at night, he's 6 now and struggles to get to sleep every night. My other son has no issues and goes out like a light.
Old 27th February 2020, 22:03
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

The worst thing about being drunk is that eventually I will be sober again.
Old 28th February 2020, 18:56

Mood
Alienated

I did not know Altered Carbon season 2 was back, time to binge!, in between this...Better Call Saul and Picard I don't even remember the likes of GoT
Old 1st March 2020, 04:02

I barely watch TV apart from documentaries and foreign dramas on iplayer but yesterday at teatime we switched the TV on and caught Saturday Night Takeaway with Ant and Dec.

I don't wish to offend anyone who enjoys it, but I found it to be the most vacuous drivel I've had the misfortune to see in a very long time. As a child I would have loved it, but I don't understand why it's so appealing to adults - but then perhaps that's because I'm a miserable old fart.

Anyway, everyone in the audience was so loud and extrovert and it's enforced my feelings of having never fitted in anywhere. My neighbours on facebook are nice enough people but they are so extrovert. Everywhere they go, everything they eat, and every party and family get together they have (which is many) is recorded and shared. I can't even remember when anyone, apart from the people who live here, last stepped through the front door. Maybe it was the time when some workmen came to renew the boiler?

I joined a Facebook group for women of 40 plus who are struggling with the lead up to the menopause but can't relate to many of the people who post on there. I'm no prude, but I really don't understand the obsession with men's genitals (especially among women whose libidos are supposedly as flat as a pancake) or why middle aged women would want to ogle 25 year old firefighters who are young enough to be their sons

I'm not educated, but isn't there so much more to life? Art, history, music....

I've never fitted in anywhere, I'll never fit in anywhere and I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe I don't even want to fit in. But where does that leave me? Friendless for the rest of my life.

End of depressing rant
Old 1st March 2020, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
but I found it to be the most vacuous drivel I've had the misfortune to see in a very long time.
Word. It makes you wonder about the mental state of a typical British television viewer?

I didn't realise middle-age-ish ladies were so occupied with men's bits, that's news to me!

Anyway, you're dead right, there's a lot more to life than the things you mention. If that's what the majority like, it doesn't sound like you're missing an awful lot
Old 1st March 2020, 11:20

Mood
Alienated

^^I don't get the appeal of any of the "saturday night" shows, the ones with the live audiences cheering along...x-factor? ...theres a dancing one? does that paddy bloke still do a dating one or is he too busy doing adverts for bingo? ..or anything with them 2 in.

I literally don't understand why anyone would watch them on TV, let alone pay and go watch it live. I kind of presumed the audiences would be full of middle aged women going "out with the girls" sort of thing (ah sue me, I'm presuming a stereotype - but when its always the women at work discussing saturday night tv and all the men just look completely lost its obvious who the target audience is!)..but when flicking through the channels it seems theres plenty of men in the audience, I don't know if partners have dragged them there or it does actually appeal to men or what

All I can watch these days are the odd documentaries (I quite like the gold mining programs) the big budget American things and some Netflix.

Saturday night TV died after the likes of Gladiators stopped (old fart rant over)
Old 1st March 2020, 14:03

^ On Saturday Night Takeaway you can stick a poster up in your window and if a TV crew driving around the streets spots it they'll knock on your door and - wait for it - you might win a trip to Disneyland! I can't think of anything worse. Incidentally, I noticed plenty of men in the audience and they didn't look like they had gone with their partners under duress. They appeared to be absolutely lapping it up

And then there's 'The Masked Singer' where some celebrity I've never heard of dresses up as a masked bumble bee or a turd or whatever and you have to vote for your favourite singer and guess who it is before they reveal themselves. It totally sucks and if I watched this every week I'd fear I'd start developing dementia.

@ Limey - Ha, we aren't talking about jam making ladies of the WI here! There was a woman of 60 something dressed very scantily in leopard print who said she was a domi something or another but was still suffering with hot flushes. I guess it takes all sorts
Old 1st March 2020, 16:05

Mood
Cynical

I have to agree, I don't like any of the Saturday night TV programmes and never watch them! (The other worst one I can think of is Love Island.) I know some people enjoy them and that's fine but they're just not for me.
Old 1st March 2020, 19:41

Mood
Alienated

^ fair enough (I did wonder how that actually worked)

You couldn't bloody pay me enough to sit through one of them!

I did go to see Gladiators live though with a school trip
Old 1st March 2020, 22:58

^^ I wouldn't sit through one of those shows if I was paid a million quid!

@ Dougella, I've never watched Love Island (only seen clips) and poking my eyes out would be more appealing. I think my 17 year old and his mates quite like it, god only knows, but hopefully they'll eventually grow out of it
Old 1st March 2020, 23:36

Mood
Cynical

^ It does contain young people in swim wear, I assume that's something that the teenagers watch for! The content of it though seems to me like it would decrease anyone's brain cells
Old 2nd March 2020, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
But then I tried to have sex with a poster of Jennifer Aniston when I was 14, so maybe my perspective is warped.
Lol, now why doesn't that surprise me

Yep, I'm sure the attractive young women/men in swimwear is the main appeal of Love Island, for hormonal teenagers in particular.

@ Nanuq - I can just about remember being a teenager and furtively looking at the men in their Y fronts in my mum's clothes catalogue. Or, looking at the World Encyclopaedia Atlas at the tribes people who wore very little Teenagers of today don't know how lucky they are
Old 2nd March 2020, 00:26

Teenagers are abundantly 'lucky' which is why i'm not too convinced that they are watching it for the 'babes'.
Old 2nd March 2020, 01:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
There is a book by Bainbridge that argues the teenage years are actually our peak human years - though we come to terms with the "loss" of that through a sort of mockery of its excesses (rather than seeing the true extent of what we have lost as we have aged). Just look at adverts that features teens that are not aimed at teens, etc, which always make teens a sort of figure of fun for adults.

If I had the choice, I would live ages 12-18 over and over again, in lieu of the boredom and apathy of adult life. My teenage years were the only period of my life that I found any value in - the rest of my life has been (and will be) garbage. I frankly might as well have died at 18.
I had a moment of sadness thinking about this last night. I think I even had tears thinking about never experiencing life like I did in my teens again. I can't even remember what it was. I had some vague feeling, or remember a smell that brought back memories of my youth back.

Most of the time I try to avoid thinking about them years because it just makes me sad. Every now and again though it will hit me and I will remember it like it was yesterday.

I've been freaking out about dying lately as well. I get a sudden jolt of panic at the recognition of how very little time I (we) have and it seems there is very little I can do to change anything about my life or to inject some life into my veins.

Oh well, just how the cookie crumbles I guess. We're the unlucky ones.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:36

I couldn't be a teenager again, those were the worst years of my life: constant bullying, total isolation and not wanting to be here. In addition, all those racing hormones with no outlet.

Not when I was a teen (at least a decade later), there was a show called Baywatch which used to keep young men home (in the days when video recorders were relatively rare) on Saturday nights, perhaps Love Island has similar appeal? I've never seen either show, but I'm told that Baywatch featured slow-motion footage of Pamela Anderson running in a scanty bikini (not something I even want to imagine tbh - I like blancmange and don't want to be put off for life).

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:09
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

^ No, of course you don't
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:42

**** you, Monday.
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer
I had a moment of sadness thinking about this last night. I think I even had tears thinking about never experiencing life like I did in my teens again. I can't even remember what it was. I had some vague feeling, or remember a smell that brought back memories of my youth.
Have you read any Proust?
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:53

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.' I wouldn't want to be a teenager again. It was a very confusing time for me, isolating and stressful. And I couldn't sit all those exams again knowing now that they never led to anything. Otoh, I had hope for the future, energy, enthusiasm, I was constantly discovering new things to get excited about and interested in. And I experienced camaraderie; I had much more desire to be with other people, peers especially, a much greater tolerance for social interaction. I got feedback constantly on how I had to work on my social skills and I did. I have been unable to maintain this level of relative normality since. I think I assumed that I would get stronger and more capable as an adult, but in some ways the opposite occurred.
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:28

Mood
Cynical

I would never want to be a teenager again, absolute worst time in my life! I didn't have any of the normal teenage experiences that people talk about.
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:03
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicium
Have you read any Proust?
No I haven't unfortunately. Someone highly recommended I did when I first started reading Dostoevsky a good few years ago.
Isn't one of his novels, one of the longest in the world, as it follows him throughout his life?

I must remember to get a hold of his books when I can afford it.