SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th March 2023, 19:53

Question Availabilty of NHS dentists in your area

I haven't been to a dentist in years. I just tried looking for availability in my area and it's not promising. Among 15-20 dentists (furthest being 7.7 miles) basically said 'no', 'only take referred patients' OR 'no recent update'. I knew things were bad, so i'm not surprised. I changed the filter to 'accepting adults aged 18+' and the closest is 15.9 miles away - not too bad for a twice a year thing, though not great being that there are so many within closer range.

I think my other options are phoning about the one's who haven't updated. Phoning my last registered dentist and seeing whether i can get a referral. Putting myself down on a waiting list for the closest 5-10 places, if that's a thing.

Anyway, how's things in your area?
Old 6th March 2023, 20:11

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: Availabilty of NHS dentists in your area

Looks like there's 10 in my town? I actually need to sign up for this. Thankfully I don't have much problems (I seem to have godly teeth, never even had wisdoms grow in o_O), but I'd like to go in for a cleaning eventually.
Old 6th March 2023, 20:18

^ Is that 10 accepting new patients? O_o
Old 6th March 2023, 20:29

Mood
Spaced

Seems like it. :0 Its still a really long wait time to be added though isn't it? I remember reading that somewhere...
Old 6th March 2023, 20:47

Postcode lottery? Wow, that's pretty good going. I've no idea about further waiting times after registration. I don't think i have anything to worry about in the immediate but it would be nice to get it sorted and make it a regular thing again.
Old 6th March 2023, 22:43

I rang several NHS dentists in early 2022. Not many were accepting new patients and the one which was accepting had a waiting list of 5 years...
Yes, you've read it right - 5 years.

Luckily, not long ago after all the restrictions were lifted, I was offered a MyOptions plan or whatever it was called. The prices were between NHS and private. So more expensive than NHS, but cheaper than private. It was from MyDentist dental care provider, they have dental practices all across the UK, I believe.

I've tried to check now if they still offer this, but can't see it anymore on their website.
Old 6th March 2023, 22:47

closer wait maybe waiting for Labour to come in power. Presuming they do anything about that- probably not though.
Old 6th March 2023, 23:18

None of the dentists near to me are taking on NHS patients. My dentist retired during the pandemic and I've been unable to find one since which totally sucks because I've been suffering with raging toothache off and on for the past few weeks. It looks like my only option will be to go down the private route, or to get myself a pair or pliers.
Old 6th March 2023, 23:45

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I rang several NHS dentists in early 2022. Not many were accepting new patients and the one which was accepting had a waiting list of 5 years...
Yes, you've read it right - 5 years.

Luckily, not long ago after all the restrictions were lifted, I was offered a MyOptions plan or whatever it was called. The prices were between NHS and private. So more expensive than NHS, but cheaper than private. It was from MyDentist dental care provider, they have dental practices all across the UK, I believe.

I've tried to check now if they still offer this, but can't see it anymore on their website.
5 years ?!
Old 7th March 2023, 06:33

The dentist I was seeing decided to become a lecturer and went part time and private. He said I could stay with him for £60 a check up or I could wait for an NHS dentist to replace him. I rang them up to say I'll wait for the NHS dentist and they said I'm on the something list. It's not a waiting list, more of a transfer list.

When I emailed other dentists they said the waiting lists were full.

I think the dentist my sister goes to was accepting new patients but that's an hour and twenty minutes drive away, which would be okay for check ups as I'd spent the day with my sister but if I needed treatment it would be more of a challenge to get to as I work in the week.
Old 7th March 2023, 09:54

It's probably time people accepted that dentistry is going to be something that needs paying for from now on. The problem isn't going to go away any time soon (if it ever will), even with a change of government. It's probably not easy when everyone is so used to not paying for it (or paying the reduced fee), but now that in most cases it will cost it should probably be considered as an expenditure the same as housing, utilities, food, taxes, travel, etc, and prioritised accordingly. E.g. most people would probably prioritise food over streaming services, energy over a gym membership, or mortgage/rent over a holiday, but it seems that many people who could actually afford it are happy to prioritise literally anything over dental care. How many times have old people said "I wish I'd looked after my teeth"? I suppose in the future old people might say "I don't really mind sucking on my rationed cucumbers, it was worth it for that time I pre-ordered Diablo IV", but that doesn't seem likely. It's almost like those who refuse to pay even when they could afford it just don't want to out of spite, even though the only one being punished in that situation is them.
Old 7th March 2023, 10:03

Mood
Cynical

^ I think it's something to do with the contract that was previously put in for NHS dentists which was completely wrong and made it simply not worth it for dentists to work for the NHS (I don't mean it's just that they've not been paid enough. It was something about the treatments actually being covered). It would be possible to have NHS dentistry it's just that they need to sort it out properly! The next government is going to have a real task to sort it out again. But they should because dental health is very important as you probably know very well with your parents being dentists!
Old 7th March 2023, 13:05

Mood
Tired

I have one in my area which I have always gone to, luckily enough,
it's just a small village I live in anyway, but it does always seem quite busy any time I go.

as Covid began they e-mailed and texted me saying to wait till they got back to me for the next scheduled check-up..
needless to say I had to get in touch with them as they never got back to me, even after appointments seemed to be resuming after Covid.

I hate getting dental treatment, but I'd probably hate the alternative even more.
Old 7th March 2023, 13:35

Mood
Alienated

Apparently there is absolutely no availability for dentists at the moment in my area! People have had to travel out to other towns. Not too bad for those who can afford to travel, but not fair in those who are struggling to pay for petrol or public transport
Old 7th March 2023, 22:23

^^ my dental surgery was like that too. They didn't send an appointment once dentists started up again, but as soon as I rang they arranged one for the following week. It seemed as though they were only doing them for people who requested to have an appointment?
Old 14th March 2023, 23:54

Mood
Tired

^
Yeah, I was there a few days ago and asked about that and they just kind of shrugged, like... "ahh, what ya gonna do?"

I was quite chuffed that even after not visiting for about 3 years I still didn't need any treatment,... phew!
Old 15th March 2023, 00:32

^ nice one Even as an adult, it would be nice to get a sticker after visiting the dentist to make up for the anxiety!

To be fair mine used to give out free mini tubes of toothpaste which always came in handy when going on holiday! A sticker would be better though. Next time I'm going to say, "Do I get a sticker?"
Old 16th March 2023, 14:41
Banned

0 in somerset taking on new patients. I moved address few years ago (staying in the same county) and stayed with the same dentist. Not sure if your allowed to do that but i have. I didn't give them my new address.
Old 16th March 2023, 17:28

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ nice one Even as an adult, it would be nice to get a sticker after visiting the dentist to make up for the anxiety!

To be fair mine used to give out free mini tubes of toothpaste which always came in handy when going on holiday! A sticker would be better though. Next time I'm going to say, "Do I get a sticker?"
ahh,. damn, i saw some mini tubes of toothpaste at the counter but just imagined they were for kids
Old 16th March 2023, 18:39

^ They're really teeny ones, probably the length of my little finger. they never offer them, but I say, "Are these free samples?"

And they say to help myself. Perfect for holidays
Old 8th October 2023, 17:57
Banned

My dentist sent a letter out last week announcing they are now going private. I'm so gutted. I knew it was coming but it just makes me so angry.
Luckily I made an nhs hygienist appointment few weeks ago so I still get to keep that on tuesday.
In the letter they said about joining up for £23 a month on some plan. Or you can can still use it as a pay as you go way, but will prob be more expensive...and you have to let them know by october 18th .I just don't know what to do .

I have receeding gums so I need check ups at least.

I dread getting toothache. I've read on facebook comments saying people in pain have phoned 111 and if 111 think you are bad enough ie your face is swollen or you can't breathe, then they will try and get you in to a emergency dentist. But you can still be in pain without your face being swollen.....its just ridiculous.

A good campaign to follow is Toothless in England.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:09

Mood
Alienated

My dentist closed down in the Spring (2 days before my yearly checkup). I’ve tried to get into another dentist, but they arn’t even accepting people onto the waiting lists!! So, no dentist for me anymore then. Such a well organised country we live in.

Looks like the stereotype of bad British teeth may come true again.
Old 9th October 2023, 10:16

Always taken care of my teeth (so I thought) bought good brushes and ‘top end’ toothpaste, flossing, always gone to the dentist, but never bothered with the hygienist, thought it was pointless waste of money...big mistake. Don’t neglect the hygienist if you can help it, it might save you a small fortune down the line...and your teeth! Apparently 50% of us have periodontal disease and don’t even know it.
Old 9th October 2023, 11:10

^ Hmm, if the Dentist reckons you need it then the the scale & polish should be covered under Band 1.