SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th November 2005, 17:31

Default Going to my first meet and...

Guess what...........?

I'm feeling a little anxious!

I'm meeting 4 other SA people who live in Brum (i'm not sure if they are all members of SA-UK).

We are gonna meet at Frankie & Bennies and then go bowling.

I'm nervous cause I don't know how to be; I thinking I could be:

1) Make a huge effort and be jiggy. But I don't want them to think i'm not that bad with SA and think I shouldn't be there; or

2) Be quiet and, well SA. But then I will analyize myself when I get home and think could I have done better.

I know, I will try and be myself (whatever that is).

I will let you know how I got on later.

Hom
Old 27th November 2005, 17:56

Default Re: Going to my first meet and...

good luck hom. the bowling thing sounds a great idea! first meets can be tricky, but play it by ear, everyone's in the same boat, etc.
good luck

russell
Old 27th November 2005, 18:21
Intro Guy

Best of luck with the meet, Hom, hope it goes well.

I'm going to my first meet in early December and I'm pretty anxious about it, but I'm determined to go for it.
Old 27th November 2005, 18:44

Don't try and be anything, forget sa, focus on the bowling and enjoy.
Old 28th November 2005, 10:07

good luck hom thinks its great what you are doing probably the people you are meeting up with are feeling the same way. im sure theses people will understand what you will be feeling and be understanding. let us know how you get on.
Old 28th November 2005, 10:19
Ancient Mariner

~How did you get into this, there is no bowling meet in Birmingham posted on this forum. Is it a private group then?
Old 28th November 2005, 10:32
Shallah

Good luck Hom enjoy
Old 28th November 2005, 22:20

Right then

Thanks to you all for your responses; they made me smile as I read them.

Ancient Mariner; this meet was organised by the Birmingham Social Anxiety Group whose address I found on the SA-UK site. I became a member and the rest is history so to speak.

Phoenix - I remembered what you said in your SA Blog about talking slowly - I gave this a go .

The night went well; we seemed to talk freely enough, mostly about the Brum site and past meets. We all said how nervous we were and touched on how SA we felt. The bowling was ok (the alley was quiet which always helps). We had a few drinks too.

The strange thing is that they all seemed well, I don't like the word but, well normal if you know what I mean. I think the first time you meet someone is easier then the 2nd, 3rd time etc. I say this because there is always more to talk about the first time.

Anyway we have all agreed to meet up again, and hopefully there will be more (the Brum Group has 37 members) of us next time. I will be nervous again but like Russell said 'we're all in the same boat'.

Introverted Guy - you must let us know about your meet up in early December and how you got on - it's great that we can all share these experiences, loved the pirate too!

Hom
Old 28th November 2005, 22:26
Intro Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom
Introverted Guy - you must let us know about your meet up in early December and how you got on - it's great that we can all share these experiences, loved the pirate too!

Hom
Yes I will let you know how I get on, although the meet I am going to is with another social anxiety board I am a member of, but there are some people from this site who are going too.

I'm pleased the meet went well for you, well done! Have another pirate
Closed Thread