SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 25th November 2010, 10:27

Default Happiness index

Apparently we're all to be quizzed about our happiness, I'd provide a link but my computer's not playing ball. Well I'm not happy, not at all. I can't blame the government for it though, and I don't think there's anything they could do to improve things. A series of sorry circumstances have left me friendless and unloved, without prospects or potential and in a bad state financially. Perhaps the saddest part is that I feel powerless to change my situation. There's no point in complaining, I've just got to put up with the cards I've been dealt. I know there are plenty in worse situations, not just around the world but even amongst you good people.
On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd have to give myself a little more than zero only for the fact that I know things could be worse (although I've no doubt they will get worse the older I get).
Oh what a joy it is to be alive!
Old 25th November 2010, 10:41

Default Re: Happiness index

this fella:
http://www.epolitix.com/latestnews/a...being-index-1/
Old 25th November 2010, 15:27

and what they're going to do if it shows people aren't happy..
Old 25th November 2010, 15:46

Give us free chocolates and tickle us with tickling sticks!
Old 25th November 2010, 16:29

Mood
Lurking

I like nitrous oxide.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfemptyglass
Apparently the key to having a happy country (obviously there will be variations within that country) is to have everyone as close as possible to each other in wealth and circumstance as possible. Because then we don't get jealous of what other people have.

But that all sounds a bit like communism to me!
So that means it can't be true?

I think the ideals of communism are good in that its focus is on equality rather than generating wealth. From a human happiness point of view those are more idealistic than just making as much material wealth as possible. But in practice obviously communist ideals are unachievable.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:04

I don't think my lack of wealth, nor envy of other people's wealth, is the main problem for me. Obviously lack of money doesn't make me happy but I don't think I'm ever going to be happy without friends and a sense of purpose, things no government can provide.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:15

Quote:
Imo communism works in theory but not in practice.
I agree, thats what I said in my post. The ideals are more aimed towards happiness than capitalisms ideals. But it is unworkable.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:42

Quote:
Apparently the key to having a happy country (obviously there will be variations within that country) is to have everyone as close as possible to each other in wealth and circumstance as possible. Because then we don't get jealous of what other people have.

But that all sounds a bit like communism to me!
I would say communism is the ideal society... I think it could only ever work in relatively small communities though, and as globalization is happening I think we're moving further and further away from it, and resources are getting concentrated in fewer and fewer hands . I think the future looks quite bleak at the moment
Old 25th November 2010, 17:58

Honestly, there are serious problems with communism even in theory. If all you want is a nice idea that probably wouldn't work in practice, you're much better off going with anarcho-syndicalism than communism. Communism is brutally authoritarian even before anyone tries to put it into practice. Anarcho-syndicalist communes actually do work on a very small scale, but it's unlikely they would function on a national scale.
Closed Thread