Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th April 2010, 17:59

Mood
Bored

Default A mental Hug

Sorry this is a bit long

Okay, so who wants to give themselves a mental hug?

If you are anything like me, and I'm guessing that a lot of you are or you wouldn't be here, you are very good at seeing the negative side of things. You can easily see lots of things wrong with someone, or something, or yourself. And your views are easily shaken by worrying what you believe that others are thinking.

Well, I've been thinking. It started a while ago when a friend sent me some music that meant a lot to her. She said that nobody else she knows likes it but the reason that she likes it is because it reminds her of a very happy moment in her life. It's one of those things that reaches into her core and cannot readily be shared, or ever taken away. These are the intrinsic things that are solid und unshakeable.

I gave someone some advice the other day to seek out some intrinsic things in order to find something to feel good about. But, as is often the case with me, I can give advice and support to anyone but myself. However, today, I started thinking about it again. And I have come up with a list. It's my list and I don't expect that anyone can share it with me but that doesn't matter. You can make your own. I believe that the things must conform to these rules:

1. They must reach into your core and touch you in a way you cannot readily explain or even feel the need to explain.
2. They must be solid and unshakeable.
3. There must be nothing tangible to gain in experiencing these things. Just pure joy.
4. If a million people were watching you, pointing and laughing, you would be absolutely certain that each and every one of them was wrong.
5. They must be achievable today (or sometime in the not too distant future).

The last two are important. A couple of examples: You couldn't say that you like the smell of your newborn baby, if your baby is now grown up. But you could say that you like the smell of the lotion you used to put on your baby. Another example, for me, would be breasts. I like breasts. I can't help it. I've been a fan pretty much since my very first meal. But as I don't have a girlfriend or wife, the only way that I could see breasts today would either be to go into the local town and stare at women, or to watch breasts on tv. Though either option sounds good to me, I have to be honest and say that if a million people were watching me, I'd be mortified. So no boobs for me.

Anyway, here is my list. It's not definitive; I plan on adding to it as time goes on. I also plan to experience some or all of these things in the very near future. And I shall enjoy them and in doing so, I shall be giving myself a mental hug. It will make me happy.

1. The smell of chamomile flowers growing in a field
2. The smell of wood smoke from a fire
3. Looking at/being in mountains
4. The sound of the sea dragging pebbles back and forth
5. The smell of seaweed on the shoreline
6. Being inside a cathedral or castle
7. The taste of good quality honey spread thickly on fresh bread and butter.

Just simple stuff. But while I still have electrical activity in my brain, I will enjoy each of them right to my core.

Let’s hear some of the things that make you feel this way. Even the process of thinking about it will feel good, and experiencing it might even be better.
Old 24th April 2010, 19:05

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: A mental Hug

OOH mental hugs. I'll have one. :P

These are a few of mine:

1. After a hard days graft/revision a nice cup of tea and a bar of chocie, or a nice cold pint of beer.

2. The smell of napalm in the morning.

3. The sound of a river.

4. Letting the hot water of a shower roll down my neck and back. (Although I am not sure I'd want anyone watching me - forgot that rule)

5. That feeling I get after exercise.

Edit: Reading back, I kind of missed a lot of the pointers of what they should be. I mean, with exercise it's obvious why I feel that way...but they still work for me.
Old 27th April 2010, 17:54

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: A mental Hug

mental hug sounds nice. I have one

The core to me is my heart or inner soul. I think about how I feel in my heart and my inner soul. I feel happy, over come with joy, I feel free, I feel inspired and touched by other peoples stories where they have nothing and are still happy. I feel grateful to be here and grateful what god has given me and grateful to share my love with my family friends and my boyfriend. I feel inspired to want to touch other peoples lives in a way that they can move on from there depression pain and find a place of positivity and happiness.

My list:

I like to sing and dance and listen to music.

write poetry

look at the sky and clouds and see the beautiful sun up. (just have to wear sun glasses because my eyes are sensitive)

i love dogs. so cute.

I love that feeling after I exercise too. then when I rest I see my stomach going in and out. then it makes it easier to do deep breathing

I like doing meditation and Im starting to like yoga too. I would of never thought I did until now. It helps me relax and find myself going to a place of calm and peace. I do imagery and deep breathing and it feels good.
Closed Thread