SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th July 2005, 21:02

Smile Lonely Female Bristolian Seeks Friends

I have only just joined this site and am so glad there is a site dedicated to Social Phobia. I have suffered for many years but it started to become more of a problem when I left school. I tried to fight how I was feeling but before long I had lost contact with all my school friends. I don't blame them, it was me after all who didn't want to go out, I just couldn't do social situations any more.

I would like to make friends with people who have SA to share experiences, hopes and fears but to also have a laugh as well
I am married with a five year old daughter something that I never thought I would do.

I am hoping that one day I could possibly meet up as well but at the moment I would find that almost impossible. Oh I am 31 years old. Nearly forgot that Duh

Take Care and hope to hear from you soon

Claireabell

Last edited by Claireabell; 29th July 2005 at 21:17.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:19

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Lonely Female Bristolian Seeks Friends

Hiya Claire

Welcome to the SA uk board. There is a local group in Bristol which has being going for over 4 years now. We have a website at http://sawest.social-anxiety.org.uk/ and a local discussion board at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/saukbristol/

Feel free to come along and say Hi
Old 6th August 2005, 16:47
Banned

ive been meaning to go to the bristol meet,but havnt plucked enough courage yet!
Old 6th August 2005, 19:11

Thanks Robin,

I really want to go but I am too nervous to walk into a room full of people that I do not know even though we are all the same.

Ray Of Light we could always go together then we would be two newies, it would ease the pressure of that walk in. PM me

Is there anyone else here who attends this meet?

Claireabell
Old 6th August 2005, 21:05

Mood
Mellow

Hi

I want to clarify, we run a voluntary support group every monday evening at 7pm, so these are not "casual meets".
Old 10th August 2005, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireabell
Thanks Robin,

I really want to go but I am too nervous to walk into a room full of people that I do not know even though we are all the same.

Ray Of Light we could always go together then we would be two newies, it would ease the pressure of that walk in. PM me

Is there anyone else here who attends this meet?

Claireabell
I also go to the Bristol SA support group.

I first discovered the condition of 'Social Anxiety' at the start of last year after searching online about shyness, (I hadn't really come across the phrase before).
After the reading the symptoms of SA and thinking "Wow! that's me!", I read more and then discovered the local group.
After over six months of procrastinating, I decided that I was the only one that could change my life (and as I was 30 at the time I felt I really needed to start doing something) so I joined the group last November and have been going ever since.

I've found going to the group quite helpful in tackling my SA.
It was quite a revalation to meet people who had the same problems & worries that I did (I left the first meeting on quite a high).
I find the information and handouts given out each week very useful and am noticing a gradual change in myself.

I think everyone who has joined the group was quite nervous the first time they went but I think people generally feel a little more relaxed once they realise they're all in the same boat.

Some of us also meet up in the pub after the group meeting which gives us a chance to put into practice some of the skills learned in he group and of course to make a few new friends.

Anyway, that's enough waffling from me.
I hope you and RayOfLight can both make it to the group sometime soon, I'm sure everyone there would be glad to see a couple of new members.

If you'd llike any more info, feel free to ask or have a look at the links Robin posted.

Marcus
Closed Thread