SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th April 2024, 06:25

Default Older and disabled? How do you keep yourself entertained?

I am male and in my mid-50s and unable to work due to disability (bipolar disorder). Since I have social anxiety too, I have few friends. Sometimes are really bad but on some days I my mood is a little better and I will get some escapism/ distraction through sports on TV, YouTube videos, or going to an affordable neighbourhood cafe for my favourite dish. Once in a while I meet a valued friend for coffee, cake and chat in a different cafe. I know I will enjoy the Olympics and Wimbledon this year but other than that, the year is already a quarter over with little to show for it. I have a fair number of books in my house but just don't seem to have the appetite/ concentration for reading right now. I have two penpals (one is a dear friend) and enjoy reading their news but with little going on for me I don't have much news to write about. I am quite hopeful about group telephone chats which I look to be joining through a charity I joined called No Panic. I also have quite a few DVDs and hope to watch one or two a week after ignoring them for a while.

Is there anyone in a similar situation to me of being midlife, not working, and feeling a bit at a loose end/ lots of time to fill? I am not able to travel and don't feel functional enough for volunteering, but would love to hear how anyone else out there passes the time, especially people who live quiet lives and are homebodies but find comforting things to do. I am not good at interacting in person unless it's a group with a host to encourage me to interact. Any tips welcome as I am struggling a bit more than usual mood-wise.

P.s. apologies if this sounds tone-deaf to members who maybe work long hours for bosses they hate. I remember those times in my life. I can only say I do genuinely suffer low mood a lot of the time and I don't get much enjoyment from most days.

p.p.s. I am middle aged and not expecting to live a thrilling life at this stage so suggestions like "I enjoy listening to Classic FM" or "I enjoy these particular shows on TV" are totally fine and welcomed.
Old 5th April 2024, 17:33

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Older and disabled? How do you keep yourself entertained?

I'm not in your same age bracket, but a few general suggestions -

Podcasts or listening to the radio. Radio 4 has quite a variety of programmes.

Audio books (the library has a free app called Libby)

Gardening, or growing plants in pots on a windowsill if you don't have a garden.

Going for walks to different parks or places and tracking your steps.

Games like Wordle and crossword puzzles.

Jigsaw puzzles. You can get them from charity shops and then donate them back after you've finished them. Quite a good mindfulness activity.

Sport on TV i think you already mentioned, and the Olympics and Wimbledon.
Old 6th April 2024, 01:48

Thanks. I remember growing up my Mum really liked the Afternoon Play on Radio 4 so maybe there is good content on Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra for me.
Old 6th April 2024, 09:52

Mood
Cynical

^ They have some quite silly commedy programmes, some quizzes, news type programmes, The Archers of course, radio dramas and culture type things.
Old 6th April 2024, 12:37

That's a good point, quite a mix. Although I often forget about Radio 4 Extra on my smart speaker I have quite enjoyed some old science fiction there at times.
Old 6th April 2024, 16:08

Mood
Tired

^
Radio 4 does have some quite interesting programmes,
Everything from discussions on religion to gardening advice to in depth analysis of astronomy, to discussions on journalism, book reviews and of course news and that's just what I've managed to catch when I've tuned in when out driving,
Old 7th April 2024, 05:51

Thanks Mr Nobody. I imagine long drives could potentially feel a chore sometimes so the company of good radio would be very welcome. Years ago when I had regular bad sleep the BBC World Service was good company for me in the night.