SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th March 2019, 11:16
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Tampon tax fund to support women with mental health problems

Thousands of women living with mental health problems across England are to receive help from a new project backed by the Government's Tampon Tax Fund.

The Tampon Tax Fund allocates money generated from the VAT on sanitary products to projects to improve the lives of disadvantaged women and girls. It is open to charitable, benevolent and philanthropic organisations from across the United Kingdom.

Through the £1.8m initiative, which is called Women Side by Side, it is hoped the women will be able to find community-based peer support set up through around 70 projects.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8841506.html
Old 29th March 2019, 02:46

Default Re: Tampon tax fund to support women with mental health problems

Why are Tampons and other sanitary protection products actually taxed at all? They are hardly a luxury and millions of women would be unable to live a normal life every month without them. Aren't even postage stamps exempt from VAT?
While I certainly don't begrudge women's charities receiving financial aid from 'Tampon Tax' it's probably only the 'lucky' chosen few that will benefit. Meanwhile, there must be women living in such poverty that they struggle to buy sanitary protection every month after they've bought food.
Old 29th March 2019, 07:57
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ I know it makes you laugh doesn't it.

Didn't Phillip Hammond recently announce money for school kids to have sanitary products available in schools for free so that no young girls would go with out sanitary products because they couldn't afford them? There should be no tax on sanitary products full stop.

Tampon Tax Fund - more pretend help for mental health.
Old 29th March 2019, 09:49

Mood
Relaxed

Toilet rolls are taxed, but contraceptives not, so I'm not sure about this being gender blah blah.

The idea of spending tax this way is obviously sexist, if you are going to do this then you should also use all tax generated by men for the good of men only, which would leave women at a huge disadvantage as they generate less tax and use more tax.

I think all essentials should be tax free... actually all spending should be, as we are already taxed directly on our pay at source.
Old 29th March 2019, 15:21

I thought they'd reduced the tax years ago? Yes, just remove the tax instead of moving money about and creating jobs 'helping' the disadvantaged. How patronising, instead of making them marginally cheaper, they're going to use some money to help 'troubled' young women. Bleh. If they must be taxed, just use it to fund free supplies in schools.

Or in the jobcentre. I've had no money before for these, and I had to chop up an old sheet.
Old 29th March 2019, 15:24

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
Toilet rolls are taxed, but contraceptives not, so I'm not sure about this being gender blah blah.

The idea of spending tax this is obviously sexist, if you are going to do this then you should obviously use all tax generated by men for the good of men only, which would leave women at a huge disadvantage as they generate less tax and use more tax.

I think all essentials should be take free, actually all goods should be, as we are already taxed directly on our pay.
I believe I'm right in saying that only quilted toilet paper and more 'luxury' types are subject to VAT, so it depends on whether you have expensive taste in loo roll as to whether it's being taxed! (Although I just looked it up and it seems all toilet roll has been subject to VAT since 2010, who's idea was that?! Toilet roll is clearly not a luxury.)
Old 16th April 2019, 19:05

Mood
Insomnious

yeah lets help women by......"insert thinking hard face" specifically taxing only women. Yep. That sounds like a idea created by the patriarchy. How about we help everyone by taxing the **** out of any plastic that's not recyclable?
Old 16th April 2019, 19:07

Mood
Insomnious

I'm so done with this planet 90% of the time.