SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd June 2020, 10:37

Lightbulb Interview disability adjustments for SA

I have social anxiety and have been unemployed for over a year, and finding that getting a job with a traditional interview is seemingly impossible. Talking about myself is the most unnatural thing and with the amount of anxiety in an interview I cannot think properly. After so many rejections my confidence is at rock bottom and I struggle to even look at a job application.

Most companies today will ask you if you have any disabilities and require any adjustments for the interview, and I have heard of adjustments for anxiety being given the questions in advance to have time to think of responses, and/or being given a written copy of them during the interview to keep track of what they are. This sort of thing would be massively helpful for doing an interview.

What holds me back from asking for this is discrimination. While in practice it is illegal to discriminate on disability, in practice there is nothing to stop it happening, as long as it isn't given as the reason you don't get a job.

Does anyone have any experience or information with doing this? Or any general advice on doing interviews with SA? Thanks and best wishes
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:09

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Interview disability adjustments for SA

Sounds like a good idea - for them to make adjustments.

However, it also sounds like not being able to think of answers quickly or reply verbally (not in writing) or needing questions written down would exclude you from many jobs.

So by simply asking for these adjustments would self-exclude you from the interview process, as harsh as that sounds.

Maybe do the interview, then quickly email them straight after and say you have SA and explain that it affects you in new situations or interviews etc so could they please take that into account when judging your performance?
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:49

I know some members here hate the thought of taking medication, but I think it can be very helpful when your anxiety is as high as yours sounds. Personally I would be taking propranolol before any interview as it dampens down the shakiness (though doesn't get rid of the mental anxiety). But of course there are other medications which you could discuss with your GP.

I agree with Tonkin that a lot of jobs would probably be impossible for you to do with such high anxiety, that really needs to be addressed first. Have you tried any talking therapies?
Old 25th June 2020, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
Sounds like a good idea - for them to make adjustments.

However, it also sounds like not being able to think of answers quickly or reply verbally (not in writing) or needing questions written down would exclude you from many jobs.

So by simply asking for these adjustments would self-exclude you from the interview process, as harsh as that sounds.

Maybe do the interview, then quickly email them straight after and say you have SA and explain that it affects you in new situations or interviews etc so could they please take that into account when judging your performance?
Thanks for the reply. In my experience that isn't the case as there is rarely a normal workplace situation as anxiety provoking as an interview, or one where you have to answer unusual vague questions about yourself. But yes that is exactly what I'm worried the interviewer would think. Secondly I do look for jobs that are more introvert friendly and less about "people skills".

I have also considered just saying that I have anxiety before or after the interview like you say, but worry that would have more or less the same effect.
Old 25th June 2020, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelwyn
I know some members here hate the thought of taking medication, but I think it can be very helpful when your anxiety is as high as yours sounds. Personally I would be taking propranolol before any interview as it dampens down the shakiness (though doesn't get rid of the mental anxiety). But of course there are other medications which you could discuss with your GP.

I agree with Tonkin that a lot of jobs would probably be impossible for you to do with such high anxiety, that really needs to be addressed first. Have you tried any talking therapies?
I have been thinking about propranolol and was going to make a seperate thread about it. Do you know if GPs in the UK would prescribe it for this sort of thing?

I have tried therapies in the past with small successes, although not specifically for interviews.
Old 25th June 2020, 18:20

I was prescribed propanolol for precisely this reason.

It worked for my interview.

However, the side-effects were unpleasant: bad headache and sleep problems for 2 nights.
Old 26th June 2020, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
I was prescribed propanolol for precisely this reason.

It worked for my interview.

However, the side-effects were unpleasant: bad headache and sleep problems for 2 nights.
Ok thanks for the info.. I will give it a go without an interview and see how the side effects are.
Old 26th June 2020, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb92
I have been thinking about propranolol and was going to make a seperate thread about it. Do you know if GPs in the UK would prescribe it for this sort of thing?
I'm pretty sure all GPs would prescribe propranolol for this, so long as you don't have any of the contraindicated health issues such as asthma.

I haven't had the headaches that Limey mentions, however I did have the sleep problems when I took a high dose. But propranolol doesn't seem to affect everybody that way.

By the way, if you were thinking of taking propranolol on a longer term basis, I strongly recommend the slow release , one a day capsules. Please pm me about this if you wish.
Old 14th July 2020, 00:51

Mood
Gloomy

I am in a very similar situation myself - unemployed for over a year and a half now and due to my social anxiety I find traditional job interviews extremely diffucult and uncomfortable. I hate talking about myself and no matter how well I prepare for interviews, my anxiety just keeps getting the better of me and all the answers I've prepared seem to just disappear from my mind. My self-confidence and self-esteem were already low to begin with and this situation just makes me feel even worse.

I'm not sure I've heard of propranolol before but having read the comments about it in this thread I am now wondering if it would be worth trying to ask my GP about.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:54

Thanks for the response- just logged on here and seen this. Good to know I'm not alone. It really sucks and I have lost my self esteem so much I find writing an application so difficult as I can't think why someone would give me a job.

I'll share if I find anything that helps. I went to my GP about propranolol but unfortunately as I have (very mild almost non-existent) asthma they won't prescribe it for me.
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:36

Mood
Mellow

I've used Seetec PLUSS in the past. They are supportive and well help you with CVs, job searching, mock interviews and advice about disclosing a disability or mental health condition.

https://www.seetecpluss.co.uk/