SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th May 2021, 14:43

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: How are you feeling physically?

^ Glad you finally got a phonecall and some possible causes of your pain, I hope you can start feeling better very soon!

I eat some chocolate every day, but don't drink or smoke. Like you say we have to have some comforts and enjoyments or what's the point! If I had to give up chocolate for a health reason I would be very very grumpy.
Old 25th May 2021, 15:14
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

That's great that you've finally got an answer Consolida

Hopefully the Vit D will help. I thought fatty liver disease was something that can be reversed? But yeah I'm not sure I could cut out chocolate either. You've got to have some pleasures in life.
Old 25th May 2021, 15:19

^ Thanks Dougella

@ Mo - Yes, FL can be reversed with diet and lifestyle changes apparently but my diet is already pretty healthy. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Exercise.

I've been reading about the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency:

Fatigue or tiredness.
Bone pain.
Joint pain.
Muscle pain.
Sour mood.
Low energy.
More frequent illness.
Anxiety.

I would say I suffer with most of these accept the 'more frequent illness' (I don't go out much to catch anything) and I'm not sure what 'sour' mood means? 'Low' I guess? Despite buying Vitabiotics Ultra Vitamin D 2000 IU and taking 1 pill most days for several months my bone pain continues to get worst so I don't understand that. Either the supplements you can buy in the Supermarket are such low doses that they have next to no effect or my body isn't absorbing it properly.

I just joined a Facebook 'Lowering Fatty Liver' group and a number of the sufferers are vegetarians or vegans which surprised me. I would have thought that was the perfect kind of diet to pursue for a healthy liver? Apparently Fructose (the natural sugar found in fruit) is also something to avoid

It seems I have a lot to learn
Old 25th May 2021, 19:46

Mood
Alienated

^^ Woop you got some answers

Maybe not brilliant news..but answers all the same!

..Well by the sounds of it ..as the massive salad (and fruit..but mostly salad) dodger I am..my liver must be in tip top condition! I did not know this, god knows how my bloods were ok!

Today I'm starting the new beta blockers, so far..so samey. It's weird though, I'm on propranolol now (which I know is bloody useless anyway) ..I used to take this when I was 16-17. One 5mg tablet and I was convinced I was about to collapse, my heart beat was barely existent, I was dizzy, nearly passing out...It did me right in, I only lasted 2-3 days.

Here I am on 30mg, not convinced I feel anything noticeable! Something must have changed I have a very slow, forceful heartbeat, its a bit like after exercising and its still thumping away, only slowly. It's annoying when your trying to read something on your phone and your phones bouncing up and down in your hand It also gets gradually worse through the day. It's irritating to say the least, especially when trying to sleep, I've had it since november 24/7..suppose I've not dropped dead yet!
Old 27th May 2021, 06:07

^/^^ Thanks Nanuq and Toxic

It turns out the 'Doctor' that phoned me was in fact a Nurse but hey ho.

I shall see how I feel after upping the dose of vitamin D. I'm still not totally convinced that this is what is causing the bad bone pains but we shall see.

Toxic, I'm not sure if they usually test Liver function in routine blood tests, it's just the test I had was slightly more comprehensive than usual.
Anyway, I've started to deal with the borderline fatty liver issue by leaving the dressing off my salad. Then I had some chocolate but Rome wasn't built in a day as they say

That's a strange one about your changed heart rate
I hope you get to the bottom of things eventually. Hopefully the beta blockers will help but if not don't let the medics fob you off. Keep shouting until they have no choice but to listen
Old 27th May 2021, 17:08

The Doctor (or rather her horrible sidekick Nurse) have prescribed 3,200 units of the D3 vitamin. I've been told to take only ONE capsule A WEEK despite the fact that on Google it says it should be taken daily.

I can't even check the dosing instructions on the Pamphlet that is usually in the box because there wasn't one.

Even though my recent blood test results came back saying I was deficient in Vitamin D, I had nevertheless still been taking 2000 units of Vitamin D DAILY for the past few months so how is changing that to 3,200 units ONLY once a week going to help matters

I just don't get it.

I have absolutely zero trust or faith in any of the Doctors and I think I'd rather die than ask them for help again
Old 27th May 2021, 21:07

^ I joined a vitamin D deficiency Facebook group for advice (there's a Facebook group for everything it seems!) and I've definitely been prescribed completely the wrong amount. Instead of once a week, the capsule should be taken daily accept I've only been given 7 days worth. Not that one a day is much different than what I was already taking so it won't relieve the terrible bone pains.

I've had a rant (along with other patients) about my Surgery in the local Facebook group saying they are incompetent and negligent - not that this will make a blind bit of difference. If I get struck off I don't give a sh*%t and they can shove their vitamin D capsules where the sun don't shine!
Old 27th May 2021, 21:20

I'm at my wits end. I thought sorting out straight forward physical health problems would be easier than fixing mental health issues but it seems not.
I wish I could be euthanised but knowing my luck even that would go wrong
Old 27th May 2021, 21:40

Mood
Cynical

^^ Maybe you can take it for the 7 days and see if that makes a difference. And also try to get a phonecall with the doctor to double check the amount (I realise this is less likely judging by what you've said about your surgery so far!)

You really do deserve to feel much better than you are now
Old 27th May 2021, 22:59

For your Vitamin D, I would get a liquid oil based Vit D + K2, few drops a day.
Taken sublingual (under ya tongue )
You can get them on amazon for around £25. Contains about 1000 drops.

The fatty liver is almost certainly due to insulin resistance.
So it is that time to modify what you eat and reduce/cut out foods that are spiking your insulin.

Obviously the sugar content in the chocolate is a biggie.
Don't just try and quit the chocolate, do it slowly & gradually over a few weeks.

Reduce your carb intake as much as possible. Bread, pasta etc

Eat fibre with every meal to lower any insulin spike.

Try not to snack.

If you prefer to walk when its dark do so, early morning or at night. Simple walking will definitely help.

All of the above is hard as f. But try it for a couple of months and see how much difference it make on your next set of results
Old 28th May 2021, 00:05

^^ Yes, that's a thought. Thank you Dougella

^^ Thank you so much for your feedback Genovese, it means a lot.
I shall save your post as it contains a lot of very helpful advice.

Chocolate is an addiction of mine but I know that it's possible to kick the sugar habit with some determination and perseverance. The hope of feeling physically healthier than I do at the moment is a HUGE incentive to me. Thank you

Watch this space
Old 28th May 2021, 02:43

^^ Thanks for sharing about the liquid oil, at the moment I use a spray as I prefer that to the tablets but the oil will last longer and will work out a lot cheaper than the spray. I'll get myself some soon, do you use the oil?
Old 7th June 2021, 13:44

The pains in my legs and feet are as bad as ever although I've started taking triple times the amount of supermarket Vitamin D supplements I was originally taking. Even the codeine I took last night didn't ease the aching in my bones.

You can't phone the Surgery anymore so I've had to send an email to tell the Doctor (or whoever) that they have prescribed 3,200 units of vitamin D a week instead of the 32,000 units a day that it should be. Talk about peeing in an ocean! I don't suppose that will go down well, if the email is even read, as who likes being told how to do their job.

My husband finally found a half decent Surgery but it's just outside our catchment area
Old 7th June 2021, 13:53

Mood
Cynical

^ You can't phone the surgery? How are they asking people to contact them now, or have they just given up and stopped pretending to offer appointments or help for people at all.

There's definitely something going on with your legs, I do hope the vitamin D starts to help but if not they should definitely give you some further investigations

Maybe your husband could ask if that other surgery might consider you both anyway! Sometimes surgeries will let you register if you're just outside the catchment or if you have a relative that lives there.
Old 7th June 2021, 21:34

Mood
Sweettooth

Playing on my switch and typing has become nearly impossible now lol Just a minor strain or whatever.

It was my own damn fault cause I hyperfocus and can't notice I'm pushing my poor body Dx
Old 7th June 2021, 21:37

^ ouch! How did you do that?
Old 7th June 2021, 21:44

Mood
Sweettooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ ouch! How did you do that?
I'm not completely sure tbh. With injuries like these it only starts hurting days after what causes it lol
But I think must've been the daily taking of screenshots on my phone (like, up to 100). It's ridiculous, I know, and I wouldn't be able to make it make sense to anyone LOL I'm an idiot.

Even holding a fork has been hurting badly. I just got this wrist/thumb brace today and it's helping a ton. Sorry for the wall of text!
Old 7th June 2021, 22:56

Hehe my phone feels too big for my hands. I can't work out how to hold it comfortably. It feels like I need to-go-gadget thumbs to type on it. I'm just waiting for a strain injury!

Glad the brace is helping it! Those strains are a pain because it's so hard not to use your hand!
Old 11th June 2021, 21:17
Banned at own request

i'm so tired. and i'm tired of being constantly tired. fed up and just want to get more rest. ever since I have reduced one of my meds I can't sleep as much as my body needs. I haven't exercised for weeks partly due to breathing problems but now also because I have no energy at all.
Old 18th June 2021, 16:02

^ I hope you've gotten some of your sleep issues sorted out and are feeling a little less fatigued
Do you get outside in the sunshine much (when there is some, lol)? I only ask because fatigue is one of the major symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency (which I've been reading up about), although of course fatigue is a symptom of SO many other physical and mental health problems also

Talking of Vitamin D...

After the Nurse at the Surgery told me that my excruciating aches and pains are probably due to a vitamin D deficiency - then proceeded to completely cock up a prescription that's never been put right - I have been self medicating with vitamin D bought in the Supermarket. I'm taking loads more than the amount that the label on the box advises and am also taking magnesium. However members of a Facebook group say that it's essential to take vitamin D3 with vitamin K2 so that Calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass while preventing dangerous arterial calcification (ie, furred up arteries). Why didn't the Nurse/Doctor say any of this?

It's quite shocking how many people are seriously deficient in Vitamin D3 due mainly to a lack of sunlight. Extreme fatigue and a constant aching pain deep in the bones are the most debilitating symptoms. Over recent weeks the unremitting physical pain has sometimes made me wish that I was dead. And yet so many GP's appear to be totally clueless about the whole thing. I mean, what is even the point of a GP if they don't know the basics and people are left to try and sort things out theirselves?
Old 18th June 2021, 16:11

Mood
Lucky

I think I read once that GPs spend one day of learning about diet, nutrition and vitamins during their training and then never return to it and most of that information is out of date or just wrong.
Old 18th June 2021, 16:23

Mood
Cynical

^ It's not good at all, especially when it can cause such serious symptoms. It can also be an indication of certain conditions, like low B12 can indicate IBD (I think I have that right anyway).

^^ Is the vitamin D making any difference to how you feel Consolida?
Old 18th June 2021, 22:31
Banned at own request

@consolida

thanks. I don't really go out much, no real desire to. I go out for practicality's sake, and because I am forgetful I often don't cover up or put suntan lotion on. so I usually just get burnt. I bought some multivitamins a while back but keep forgetting to take them. I think it's lack of sleep, my bedtime is often dictated by the neighbours and if I feel I am being scrutinized, or critisized, same with when I feel I have to get up. so I often don't get the right amount of sleep I need. throw in medication which either makes me more or less tired and also strange weather patterns which i'm never prepared for and I would chalk it up to that.

sorry to hear about the cockup. I agree that a lot of people go undiagnosed with physical issues and a lot of it can be resolved by awareness which doctors should be there to help with. hope you can get it sorted out and you begin to feel better soon.
Old 19th June 2021, 00:06

^ Thank you
I hope you manage to get in a good nights sleep without being bothered by your neighbours.

@ Dougella Unfortunately I can't say I've noticed any difference yet but I believe it can take some time on a fairly high dose before vitamin D levels start to rise enough to notice a positive difference. I'm going to order some higher dose Vitamin D3 plus the suggested co-factors magnesium and K2 as the Supermarket supplements just don't cut it if levels are very low. I won't hold my breath but I'm now desperate enough to try anything.
Old 19th June 2021, 11:13

Mood
Cynical

^ I hope it does start to make a difference soon. I know you can get a K2 supplement that's in a spray form, I've had that before due to being vegan etc.
Old 19th June 2021, 12:43

^^ What is magnesium and K2 for?

I much prefer the sprays to the tablets

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 19th June 2021, 19:15

Mood
Cynical

The is a good talk about vitamin D by two qualified doctors. An interesting point aswell that when a doctor prescribes high level vitamin D for patients they should have a blood test after two weeks of taking it incase it has unmasked a thyroid issue.
Old 20th June 2021, 02:59

^ Thank you for sharing that video Dougella
I wish my GP was like Dr Gill!

That's interesting (and somewhat worrying) about vitamin D treatment unmasking a thyroid issue. Sadly there's not much chance of my useless GP testing me a second time

@newbs I'm still learning but in simple terms, Magnesium is necessary for Vitamin D3 to be used by the body and not just stored. As for Vitamin K2, when combined with Vitamin D3 it helps to keep Calcium in the bones and out of soft tissues such as the heart, joints and kidneys where it can be harmful. Hope that makes sense
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:16

If I don't eat bread for a while and then I eat bread...ouchhhh. I've got the worst cramps. It's so painful! I'm stuck on the sofa because it hurts to move.

I've put microwave bagpuss on my abdomen. But I dunno if I should take some pain killers. I don't want to aggravate it further!

It happens about three times a year. At first it thought it was brocolli but I think it's bread.
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:32

How is it possible to be so clumsy, I'm beginning to wonder it's normal to be this bad.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk