SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st July 2019, 16:01

Mood
Blah

Default Hi Everyone

I’m in my early 30’s and still struggling with SA. I sometimes blame SA (and depression) for holding me back in life as I think without it I could achieve a lot more and have a better quality of life. My SA fluctuates but recently has become worse that I thought joining a forum might be a good idea. Last Friday I nearly had a panic attack when my sister’s in laws were arriving and feel bad about nearly ruining my nephew’s first birthday. I realise that isn’t normal and perhaps reading about other people’s experiences with SA might help.

Thanks for reading
Old 21st July 2019, 16:38

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Welcome to the forum Lilsunshine I hope you find it useful
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:40

Hello, I'm now 29 and have just about got over the worst of my SA, but depression is still a persistent problem in my life tbh and has recently gotten much much worse but I am still going, surprisingly. I can't stand mental health, no-one understands me; depression and SA can certainly be a huge factor in holding people back. I have even had periods where I feel a lot happier and confident and I naturally make friends much more easily while I was like that. These are complex illnesses which have a genetic component, but they are invisible and it's within our nature to blame the individual for their personality and mood, but outside factors can play a much bigger role with these things than people consciously realise.

I know it's much easier said than done, but it has helped me to simply care a whole lot less. Once I stopped caring what people thought of me, people seemed to be less intense with making me feel bad about it, I think people naturally pick at peoples weaknesses on a subconscious level. Sometimes people try to bring you to their level of confidence etc.
Old 4th August 2019, 19:36

Welcome! I hope it helps being here