SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th August 2023, 06:31

Mood
Lonely

Default Hi everyone please read! Severe anxiety need help!

I have suffered from ptsd and anxiety since childhood. I am now 30. I have had many therapies and tried many medications that haven't seemed to help. It feels like it's manifested so bad now that I can hardly leave my home or talk to anyone. I get severe anxiety sweats that are so embarrassing it makes me avoid people even more. I have no outside support or support group, It doesnt seem to exist in my area! Panic attacks have become more frequent, I wake up in night sweats most nights and cannot go anywhere without sweating, shaking and feeling sick. I have nightmares alot too and wake up distressed. I am hoping that this site helps my uncle suggested it to me. Please if there is anyone who is or has been going through the same or similar thing please get in touch. I live with my son and our dog in East London area. Thank you for reading. God bless.
Old 4th August 2023, 08:26

Default Re: Hi everyone please read! Severe anxiety need help!

Hi Sunny

I used to experience the sweats as well. I'd always wait for other people to get up first and tuck my chair in as fast as possible, or I'd have to sort of slide off plastic chairs to try and wipe away the sweat patch I'd leave behind! My hands would leave sweat patches on tables too, anything I touched. It used to make me feel so cold and clammy!

But now that's not something I experience at all and hopefully you will get to that point where it becomes a thing of the past.

How about jotting your symptoms down and going back to the doctor and hand them the written list of how you're experiencing the world with anxiety. You can discuss what has/hasn't helped in the past and see what they suggest.

They will also be able to point you in the direction of support groups. Have you looked on the mind website too? They list local support groups and have ... i can't think of the word - support workers.
Old 4th August 2023, 09:51

Mood
Lonely

Hi biscuits Thank you for your reply. I know ?????? its absolutely horrible! Yes hopefully it will pass I just wish it would hurry up lol. Anyway thank you yes I will take a look on website.
Old 4th August 2023, 09:55

Mood
Lonely

I tried to send emoji but it came out as question marks oops
Old 4th August 2023, 12:29

Mood
Cynical

Welcome sunny, hope you find the forum helpful, lots of people here have been through the things you mention

Have you tried any temporary treatments for the sweating, for instance there's a special deoderant called Driclor (there are probably others now too) that you put on at night and it can help block sweating the next day. I would second writing down all your symptoms and seeing your GP if possible, it sounds like SA is really severely affecting your life.

You may also want to look into Acceptance and Committment Therapy, which some people find more helpful than CBT. There's a book called The Happiness Trap which is based around that therapy and could be useful to you.
Old 4th August 2023, 19:41

Hi Sunny,
welcome to the site
Is your GP aware of how much you are struggling with this? I know it's probably a last resort but I think botox is sometimes used for excessive sweating as it can block the nerves that are responsible for sweating.
(I think botox was initially used more for these kinds of issues and only more recently has become a cosmetic procedure).
Sometimes there are different treatments available for things but to get access to them the GP has to understand just how much it's impacting your life.

I don't have such a problem with excess sweating (mine are other things more like blushing and twitching, though all the same anxiety/overactive nervous system issues!) But I do notice that I can sweat more when nervous and the smell of the sweat is different (is this why animals can smell fear?!) and I found mitchum deodorant the most affective for that.
Old 6th August 2023, 15:54

Mood
Breezy

Welcome Sunny
Old 25th August 2023, 22:16

sunny - it sounds like your social anxiety is secondary to your PTSD. Or am I wrong?

Definitely go for PTSD treatment.

Check out Irene Lyon on youtube. I have been following her. You need to give her videos time and attention to take it in, she doesn't "dumb it down" but she is legit and wise. She offers programs for treating general nervous system dysregulation. I am doing one now. Definitely worth watching her free videos anyway.