SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th June 2023, 10:27

Default One good thing is to learn to drive

My mum was saying about a friend's daughter with agoraphobia, still has agoraphobia but with a car it's kind of a safe spot for her, and now she's doing a teaching assistant job.

So rather than a 'disabled' life it can be worthwhile learning to drive. So if you're 'stuck' and frustrated in life and can afford it, £20 in a week, outing in the car with an instructor, and a useful skill at the end of it. Then when you pass- much more places open up to you. Countryside, beach, more of a selection of retail outlets.
Old 14th June 2023, 11:08

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: One good thing is to learn to drive

I agree, learning to drive is a great thing
Old 14th June 2023, 11:35

I passed my test but still wouldn't feel confident to do it. I don't know if I ever will. I just don't have the attention.
Haven't driven a car in many years.
Old 14th June 2023, 11:58

^ Not have the attention? That’s half the drivers on the road
Old 14th June 2023, 12:40

I have licences for car, motorbike, 16t forklift, mobile crane, normal forklift, telehandler, LGV(HGV).

I've driven everywhere driving everything.

Can I go in a shop and buy a pint of milk without anxiety? Nope.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:05

its not saying you're without anxiety, but it gives you more strength than otherwise. Are you in a stronger position getting to places with anxiety, or are you in a stronger position hiding away at home with supermarket deliveries once a week as sole entertainment.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:12

^I was agreeing with your post. God knows how I'd be if I hadn't achieved all those things at least it gives me some form of self esteem boost when I can't do things others take for granted.

My dream car would be a day van/camper van so I could be outside and go places but no one know I'm there something with tinted windows possibly a stealth camper.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:35

I saw someone on youtube mod an ex RAC van. Of course they ran into problems later as it had mechanical problems.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:38

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
^ Not have the attention? That’s half the drivers on the road
Old 14th June 2023, 14:15

Mood
Cynical

I tried to learn to drive and took my test twice but I failed and I didn't have the strength to keep going with it at that point. I do think it's a good thing to be able to do though and opens up some freedom for people. I'd like to try again at some point. Anxiety did affect my driving negatively though.
Old 14th June 2023, 14:52

@Dougella... it took me years to pass as I naturally drive like a boy racer! Don't give up. I ending up passing in the end, as I kept very quiet about taking the exam and that took away the pressure I felt at being laughed at if I failed. Maybe take lessons in secret, so only the instructor knows (and you'll likely never see/speak to them again).
Old 14th June 2023, 15:31

I passed around 10 years ago and basically haven't driven since.

My main anxiety symptom has always been dizziness and a feeling of disassociation, which is fairly terrifying to drive with. I did pass my test first time feeling that way though, so apparently it doesn't actually impair my driving ability.

Even though I struggle with anxiety a lot less these days it doesn't take a lot for me to feel that way, so I've continued to avoid it. I kind of would like to drive but I don't have a massive need to currently, especially working from home and having a chauffeur/boyfriend. And it's bloody expensive to have and run a car.
Old 14th June 2023, 16:19

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_uk
@Dougella... it took me years to pass as I naturally drive like a boy racer! Don't give up. I ending up passing in the end, as I kept very quiet about taking the exam and that took away the pressure I felt at being laughed at if I failed. Maybe take lessons in secret, so only the instructor knows (and you'll likely never see/speak to them again).
Thanks, well I'm the opposite I was a very cautious driver But i would probably just do it very quietly and only tell people if and when i passed my test though, that is a good idea.
Old 14th June 2023, 16:26

I passed my test well over 10 years ago, but only got a car less than two years ago. I hate driving in this country, the whole experience involves anxiety - from bad drivers to the constant stopping and starting with traffic lights, crossings, turns, endless roundabouts, etc. It doesn't feel like you can drive for more than a minute without something coming up. I don't mind driving in the US where the roads are longer, straighter and emptier - long journeys almost feel relaxing there and it's so much easier.

I'm glad I have a car though because before I started driving to the supermarket I spent almost 10 years walking my shopping home in a cart and that was around 40 minutes each way, which wasn't great when I needed heavy items. Actually, it's great being able to take my cats to the vet too - before that it involved walking for 30 minutes each way carrying a 4.5kg cat plus carrier in each arm. That's all I use it for mostly, and I always go at the quietest possible time of day to avoid as many other drivers as possible. I used to use it for the occasional day out somewhere to places that weren't easily accessible by public transport, but that always involved a lot of anxiety and was never worth it in the end because everywhere sucks.

I can't wait for there to be automated taxis.
Old 14th June 2023, 17:42

"I'm the opposite I was a very cautious driver But i would probably just do it very quietly and only tell people if and when i passed my test though, that is a good idea."

Do it, do it, do it! I'll be cheering you on!
Old 14th June 2023, 20:07

Mood
Lurking

I passed my test 38 years ago and passed my advanced test 18 years.

It is a lot harder now with the theory, hazard perception and test.

I have never had anxiety when driving, especially after passing the advanced test.
Old 16th June 2023, 17:12

Mood
Pensive

I definitely found getting out easier when I could still drive.
Old 16th June 2023, 19:15

I love driving. I live practically nowhere so it would be very isolating if I couldn't drive. Also I wouldn't be able to get to work. There's one bus every hour and that's no even all day. It only goes to two places as well.

When I lived in a city then I did prefer walking and getting bus if needed. Food shopping was an arse though. I could drive but didn't have/need a car.
Old 18th June 2023, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
I passed my test but still wouldn't feel confident to do it. I don't know if I ever will. I just don't have the attention.
Haven't driven a car in many years.
I passed my practical exam on 7th attempt :-)
And the avoided driving for 7 years because of the attention as well and it's just hard for me with switching gears with one hand while focusing on the road, plus doing stuff with my feet.

The solution was - automatic car, lol. Pretty enjoyable.
Old 19th June 2023, 04:05