SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th December 2023, 19:10

Default Socially anxious and living alone - what reading material is a good cope for you?

My social anxiety, and to a degree personal choice, has meant I have been living a fairly isolated life since 2015. I've been living alone since 2015. I pass a lot of time watching YouTube etc., but when I have the concentration for it and actually manage a bit of reading that can feel like more of a treat.

Someone on another thread here mentioned they read Convenience Store Woman which is on my to-be-read pile. Today I really enjoyed reading a book of essays themed around loneliness, The Loneliness Files by Athena Dixon. The parts where she is alone in the pandemic and mostly living her life online I could really relate to in my current living situation.Although it's a slim book and was expensive for me to buy imported from the U.S., it was worth the money to me to enjoy reading something I could relate to. Can anyone else recommend either fiction or non-fiction titles suitable for or featuring characters who are predominantly alone and sometimes lonely? There is an old charming classic book by Marjorie Hillis from 1936 "Live Alone and Like It" and around 1980 Lynn Shahan wrote a book with a very similar title "Living Alone & Liking It" aimed around the practicalities of being alone. This solo life isn't the one I would have chosen but it's definitely the one I've got and I wish I could find more stuff to help make the most of it. Apart from "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine" I don't know if a fictional character with a similar solitary life to mine would make for a book that sells well but if anyone has fiction recommendations about lives like those of solo people with social anxiety I would be all ears.
Old 19th December 2023, 19:20

Default Re: Socially anxious and living alone - what reading material is a good cope for you?

Just finished this fascinating book. Gives hope that there's something better after this earthly existence....

Old 19th December 2023, 20:41

Default Re: Socially anxious and living alone - what reading material is a good cope for you?

I really enjoyed Convenience Store Woman, finished it a few weeks ago. I was going to suggest this book in the book group thread, Under the Skin by Michel Faber. On the face of it a book (and film) about an alien sent to harvest humans for food, it's also about loneliness and trying to find a place in the world. I might not have sold that very well, it is very good. He did a talk recently where he said most of his fiction is about being an outsider trying to fit in. Also Murakami's novels always give me a feeling of the main character being on a similar, solitary journey. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore are my two favourites of his.
Old 20th December 2023, 06:34

Mood
Cheerful

^

Recently, I've started listening audiobooks. Some see that as cheating but I struggle to focus on print and someone actually reading the story helps me to focus!
Old 20th December 2023, 06:47

^Can't you get one of the elves or rudolf to read it to you?
Old 20th December 2023, 12:51

I was recommended ‘The Alchemist’ by an old associate when my dog passed away and well, when I was feeling very lost and empty. I bought it but never read it (typical of me) but I’ve only heard only good things about it when I’ve mentioned it in passing. Given he recommended it when I was particularly low, I’m presuming it has an uplifting or thought provoking effect. Perhaps this year I will actually read it.
Old 20th December 2023, 14:12

If you can find a second hand copy then I would recommend Seasons of My Life: Story of a Solitary Daleswoman by Hannah Hauxwell.

I found it sitting on my Mum's bookshelf years ago and read it, it's a fantastic book.
Old 20th December 2023, 18:31

Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
^Can't you get one of the elves or rudolf to read it to you?
They've unionised.
Old 20th December 2023, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie79
If you can find a second hand copy then I would recommend Seasons of My Life: Story of a Solitary Daleswoman by Hannah Hauxwell.

I found it sitting on my Mum's bookshelf years ago and read it, it's a fantastic book.
Hannah was an amazing person.
Old 20th December 2023, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
They've unionised.
Now I understand why Santa was feasting on reindeer and two elves the other day! Of course I still support Santa on this decision.
Old 20th December 2023, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S
Just finished this fascinating book. Gives hope that there's something better after this earthly existence....

Lee! I didn't know you would be interested in stuff like that! I know you love paranormal stuff, aliens and that, but I assumed you would not believe in any sort of afterlife existence.

Just probably came after a long time ago when I made a questionnaire on this forum, about what are people beliefs are and mostly it was evolution and nothing else.

Though I'm not smart enough to debate these topics, as I don't know if people who believe evolution (I think it's even a fact more than believe for most, so sorry about that) still believe in any sort of afterlife.
Old 21st December 2023, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Lee! I didn't know you would be interested in stuff like that! I know you love paranormal stuff, aliens and that, but I assumed you would not believe in any sort of afterlife existence.
I've kind of changed my opinion over the last few years
Old 23rd December 2023, 17:41

Thank you everyone for the replies. As it happens that Proof of Heaven book is of great interest to me, I have lots of audio books still to listen to, but I went ahead and ordered it to ensure I won't forget about it. I am very much looking forward to listening to the book though as I know a few people who draw great support from their faith.
Old 23rd December 2023, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affogato
As it happens that Proof of Heaven book is of great interest to me, I have lots of audio books still to listen to, but I went ahead and ordered it to ensure I won't forget about it.
It's well worth reading/listening to
Old 23rd December 2023, 22:47

Lee and potentially Affogato if you will like the book.
You should read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.

I read it around 10 years ago. It's a pretty short read and it's amazing and unique.
Old 24th December 2023, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
Lee and potentially Affogato if you will like the book.
You should read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.

I read it around 10 years ago. It's a pretty short read and it's amazing and unique.
Thanks, will order a copy