SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th June 2012, 15:30

Default Radio Five Live need SA person for radio this friday noon

Radio Five Live need SA person for radio interview about SA this friday 8th around noon. Its with Sheila Fogarty, I am going on, you would probably need to get to a local radio location but maybe they can do via mobile. It wil be a quite short on air interview about your expereince with SA

is tough but your chance to say how it feels, txt me or mail me and I will pass your on your details or ask them to call you

they need to know today asap or very latest tomorrow first thing

07914230245 or here, thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 15:37

Default Re: Radio Five Live need SA person for radio this friday noon

Good luck with that, Neil.

I remember BBC Essex phoned me once, wanting me to speak on the radio about social anxiety, but I bottled out.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:03

Mood
Busy

I am doing this interview. I volunteer for Anxiety UK in Manchester and they have asked me to do it. I will do my best to get across to the interviewer just how debillitating this anxiety disorder is and how it can blight people's lives, as it has mine.
Old 8th June 2012, 18:47

Hi, Neil and Courageous, I heard the interviews and thought you both expressed yourselves very well. I certainly couldn't have done it - not even for all the tea in China!

Courageous (Jo) you sounded so eloquent. I shed a few tears when you mentioned that you had had a poor opinion of yourself and so little confidence that you didn't believe you coud do (or was fit for) anything. That could have been me talking (probably applies to many others, too). So pleased the Anxiety UK charity where you volunteer has helped you and you have more confidence now.

And, Neil, you were very articulate and expressed yourself very well, too. You have quite a youthful voice. I thought you were in your 20s or 30s until i looked at your profile and saw you were 47 (not that 47 is old, of course, but you know what I mean ).

Very well done to you both!
Old 8th June 2012, 19:08

well done. just about too give it a listen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ty_08_06_2012/
Old 8th June 2012, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark101
+1
Old 8th June 2012, 19:16

well done to the people who done it, very brave
Old 8th June 2012, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dawn Fades
well done. just about too give it a listen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ty_08_06_2012/

It starts at 37mins (roughly) and lasts about 10 minutes.
Old 8th June 2012, 19:41

just gave it a listen u both came across really well, takes guts to do tha dont think i could do it, when the american guy said its solvable an ye dont have to live with it do u think thats really true, i mean is it entirely overcome-able?
Old 9th June 2012, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCage
when the american guy said its solvable an ye dont have to live with it do u think thats really true, i mean is it entirely overcome-able?
Hmm, I really don't know - maybe it's possibe for some people, though.

The psychologist on the programme, Professor Cary Cooper, said 'group desensitizing training' can help. I haven't heard of it before.

The only thing I've heard of (and done) is CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Is that the same thing as 'group desensitizing training' under a different name?

If it's not, does anyone know anything about Group Desensitizing Training for SA?
Old 9th June 2012, 20:47

Well done, Neil and Jo. You both came across really well
Old 10th June 2012, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCage
well done to the people who done it, very brave
Indeed, Kudos to both of you. I couldn't even imagine doing something like that
Old 10th June 2012, 13:23

Mood
Happy

that was excellent, well done
Old 10th June 2012, 15:50
Banned at own request

Well done, you both sound really clear.
Old 19th June 2012, 22:37

Thanks everyone!! I am so glad me and jo did this and that most people seemed to say we did great!!

I was nervous but have done it before for local radio staions and that experience helped me lots, and my SA, I know is not as bad as many peoples - as described below

I am REALLY glad Jo did her bit as my personal SA is more when "trapped" in situations

I can do the first five mins with almost anyone but its worse the longer I spend with people i.e. after I have run out if the "whats your name, what do you do where do you live" questions.

It can feel harder for me as I meet people again an again because I kinda realise that I am not so good at conversations, am actually a little boring, its partly because I dont always do much with people and therefore dont have much to say or initiate. It does help me to keep up with current movies and music and local events etc (via newspapers, reviews etc) because I then have more things to discuss.

Thanks again. I have written to that professor becuase it does sound kinda "solveable" by "desensitisation" (doing social things in a hierarchy starting with small things) but the problem is social situations are so complex and it simply isnt as easy as the "classic desensitisation" you might do with other phobias like spiders. I dont think the professor necessarily gets that. Neil

Last edited by Neil123; 19th June 2012 at 22:46. Reason: grammar and errors
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil123
I have written to that professor becuase it does sound kinda "solveable" by "desensitisation" (doing social things in a hierarchy starting with small things) but the problem is social situations are so complex and it simply isnt as easy as the "classic desensitisation" you might do with other phobias like spiders. I dont think the professor necessarily gets that.
I agree, solving phobias such as a fear of spiders, heights, clowns, etc is not like solving social phobia/anxiety which, as you say, is more complex as are social situations.

I hope the professor responds to your letter. It would be interesting to know what he says... I hope you'll let us know.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:10

Mood
Busy

I haven't been on the site much recently so I've only just noticed these comments about the programme Neil and I were interviewed for. (Neil I've sent you a pm, I think, not sure if it's worked?) Anyway I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who said how well we'd done, that really means a lot and I hope the programme went some way to help people. I'm so thrilled that other SAUKers listened to it. Talking of 'group desensitizing training', in all the years I've had SA I have only ever had one opportunity to have group desensitizing training once, (briefly, every other time it's always been one to one therapy with a therapist. So I suppose this kind of therapy is 'nice if you can get it'. Thanks again everyone.