SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd March 2011, 11:31

Mood
Thinking

Default Lost a bit more weight, diet is going well!

Well, this isn't strictly related to SA, but surely anything that helps me feel better about myself might help with my SA too?

Anyway, as of this morning, I'm at the lowest weight I've been for probably about three years! I won't say what it is because I still have quite a long way to go, but since the beginning of the year, I've lost about 16lbs. It's the first time that any of my January 1st diets have ever actually worked... so I'm feeling really good about it!

Woot!
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:31

Mood
Chatty

Default Re: Lost a bit more weight, diet is going well!

Congrats! always nice to hear these things as it helps me with my own motivation to lose weight!

Old 3rd March 2011, 12:45

Mood
Spaced

Woop! Keep it up. I find sticking to diets and exercise quite difficult also so big thumbs up to you
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:30

Well done on the weight loss, -meep-
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:21

Thumbs up Re: Lost a bit more weight, diet is going well!

Congrats with the weight loss! Now can you lose some weight for me please?

Sparks.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:06

Mood
Thinking

Thanks everyone! I'm going to Florida in April for my first holiday in years, so that's been my motivation (and wanting to make sure I can fit comfortably in the plane seat... lol).
Old 8th April 2011, 02:13

Mood
Dreaming

how do you stay away from chocolate and other tips of junk food that you crave so badly that if u dont have it that it makes you get depressed
Old 8th April 2011, 11:22
Banned at own request

Glad your diet is going well, meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfemptyglass
I went on slim fast, and so I wasn't allowed any junk food, and the obsession with the diet gave me the willpower to stick to it.
Or I allowed myself to eat what I wanted, as long as it was healthy - so I ended up eating loads, but I broke the habit of eating crap, and then it was easier to cut down on the healthy foods. I actually gained weight at first because I was eating so much, but now I pretty much only eat fresh food (no processed food) and I feel much better for it.
My diet is terrible, but I wish people wouldn't talk about diet as if a good one is about removing unhealthy foods from your diet and filling it with healthy food: it's about balance and variety - and there's no such thing as healthy or unhealthy food, only healthy or unhealthy diets: and a healthy diet can include things like chocolate and burgers and chips as long as you don't have too much of them - perhaps give deep fried Mars bars a miss, though.
Old 8th April 2011, 11:36
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivePoemsbyme
how do you stay away from chocolate and other tips of junk food that you crave so badly that if u dont have it that it makes you get depressed
You could make sure you only have a small amount of chocolate and of foods with high sugar/fat content - or have healthy snacks instead:

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/HealthySnacks.pdf

http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/Want2LoseWeight.pdf
Old 8th April 2011, 13:13
Banned at own request

Quote:
I was using 'diet' to mean losing weight, rather than just what you eat. So I was trying to cut out junk food like chocolate and takeaways completely.
Using diet to mean "what you eat in order to lose weight"? But I think the same thing applies but with eating to lose weight it just involves a different balance.
Old 8th April 2011, 14:00
Banned at own request

Quote:
Ideally yes - but "going on a diet" is different. That usually means cutting out certain foods, like junk food and things that are high fat or high sugar, or following a certain regime.

Different definitions depending on the context.
But all the definitions involve "what you eat" and some of these food-cutting-out-diets and regimes are healthy and some are unhealthy - which is my point.

I wasn't directing it so much at you (your use of the phrase "healthy foods" just set me off) as at people preferring to focus on healthy and unhealthy foods rather than unhealthy/healthy diets
Old 8th April 2011, 17:11
Banned at own request

Quote:
I wasn't talking about a eating a healthy diet though
No, but I am

Quote:
I was talking about a diet with the point to lose weight. So in this case a "good diet" is one that makes you lose weight, which is what this thread is about. Healthy doesn't come into it, except that there are some foods that are more nutritious, and these tend to be the ones that are better to eat when you are trying to lose weight.
even a diet that aims to help you lose weight will contribute in some way to present and future healthy/unhealthy diet and eating habits. What's the point in losing weight if you don't keep it off? A healthy weight loss diet should contribute to future good diet and eating habits, or it's not worth much. And there are no foods that it is better to eat when you are trying to lose weight - only foods that you can eat more of than others: you don't need to cut out "naughties", just eat not too much of them.

Quote:
It's a different topic talking about what constitutes a 'healthy' daily diet, or 'healthy' weight loss.
But my points address both daily diets and the junk-food-avoiding ones: ones where you have to cut out "naughties" are hard to keep up and they don't teach you good eating habits - eating food should be enjoyable.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to advise on that - I was answering someone's question about how to avoid junk food, and the fact that they have asked means it's clearly a barrier to their own weight loss, as it is mine.
What if the barrier is the belief that so-called junk food is something to be avoided rather than to be had infrequently?

Here's a good guide to losing weight even though it's on the Daily Mail website: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...se-weight.html

Quote:
Banning certain foods
You may associate diets with denying yourself your favourite foods. But if you want to maintain your diet long-term it's unlikely you'll stick to it if you think you'll never eat the food you love again. 'The trick is to allow yourself to eat a small amount of your favourite foods every so often,' says Dr Wendy Doyle, from the British Dietetic Association. 'People should have a treat otherwise they will be miserable. If you are sticking to your diet and doing well allow yourself a treat once a week.'
Old 9th April 2011, 18:47

Mood
Dreaming

thanks. I need to keep busy and not think about being depressed
Old 9th April 2011, 21:29

I'm on diet too, well mainly just exercising more [walking, exercise bike and weights] and I've lost half a stone in a month so far. I don't have much weight to lose tbh, just need to get fitter and lose some belly fat. It's helped me feel less down, best to keep busy or not be stuck in on the PC most of the time as I was.
Old 10th April 2011, 17:32

Mood
Dreaming

I lost 3 pounds
Closed Thread