SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th March 2017, 15:57
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Have we overestimated the effectiveness of psychotherapy?

Most people who undertake psychotherapy seem to benefit from it. How do we know? Arguably, the most important evidence comes from meta-analyses that combine the results from many – sometimes hundreds – of randomly controlled trials. Based on this, it’s been estimated that psychotherapy is effective for about 80 per cent of people (meanwhile, between five to 10 per cent of clients may suffer adverse effects).

But now the more concerning news: a team of researchers led by Evangelos Evangelou at the University of Ioannina, Greece has assessed the quality of 247 of these psychotherapy meta-analyses and they report in Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica that many of them have serious methodological short-comings.

Coincidentally, a separate research group led by Brent Roberts at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign has just published in Journal of Personality some of the first observational data on how people’s personalities change after undertaking psychotherapy. In contrast to what’s been found in the clinical literature, they report that people who’ve been in therapy seem to show negative changes in personality and other psychological outcomes.

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/03/20...arch+Digest%29
Old 27th March 2017, 00:37
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Have we overestimated the effectiveness of psychotherapy?

I have been sceptical of psychotherapy after less than good experiences with 2 trained and 1 untrained person . The two trained people pushed a "If you want to be good person line..." as though I was morally defective which I found quite abusive. I needed help to cope better with adverse experiences not to be subjected to moralising .

The untrained person who worked at the resource centre announced she was part of a small religious sect, and dumped me when I inadvertently upset her religious sensibilities.
She spent most of the sessions I had criticising me, and thus putting the boot in to my already fragile self esteem.