SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th April 2017, 14:01
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Mindfulness class helped women, but not men, overcome 'negative affect'

Quote:
In a new study of a Brown University scholarly course on mindfulness that also included meditation labs, researchers found that the practice on average significantly helped women overcome "negative affect" - a downcast mood - but did not help men. The finding, the authors said, should call more attention to considering gender as a potential factor in assessing mindfulness efficacy.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/317072.php

Should be of interest to those considering doing mindfulness.
Old 24th April 2017, 15:27

Default Re: Mindfulness class helped women, but not men, overcome 'negative affect'

Ironically I did an eight week mindfulness course last year, was first to arrive, took a seat in the middle of the horseshoe and people slowly trickled in, female, female, female, female, female, female.... until there were twelve of us seated round, me the only bloke and the course run by a woman. The highlight of the course was probably an exercise where we took five minutes over eating a single raisin - an experience!

Old 24th April 2017, 17:45

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: Mindfulness class helped women, but not men, overcome 'negative affect'

^
I think in most things where you look at feelings, thoughts etc you will get more females taking part. All my Counselling courses were the same. Just one or two males amongst all the females and with a female tutor.

I quickly read firemonkey's link earlier and if I recall accurately there was a suggestion that females are generally more willing to look at thoughts, feelings etc, whereas males are more likely to prefer to distract themselves from them. If this is so, them females generally would get more out of mindfulness because it involves making room for inner experiences***8203; rather than trying to push them away. If it's true that these general traits exist within the sexes, females could indeed gain more from mindfulness than males might.

Having said all that, I'm male and I get a lot out of mindfulness. Then again, I've always been open to working with my thoughts and feelings and don't believe in distraction, avoidance or the pushing away of inner experiences***8203;.
Old 24th April 2017, 23:34

I find meditation can help the mind stay focused. It hasn't had a huge impact, but it helps me have better control over my thoughts.

I think it's obvious that men and women think differently in the same way that we are different from one another. I don't think it's a drastic difference in general; men and women tend to have slightly different interests, and generally have a different attitude towards sex. I don't see why that needs to be a bad thing.