SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd February 2010, 15:43
Banned

Default Do you remember a time when you had the fire to change?

I do.

I remember being able to keep getting back up and going at it.

I would get angry, get sad but I always kept trying and felt like If I did I could win.

It was like when I used to play video games.

I'm an 80/90's gamer and remember all those rock hard video games that people talk about now like they are impossible to crack.

I nailed them all on the hardest level.

I remember the tension, frustration and anger, even cying when for the 50th time I got right to the end of a really difficult part and fell of a ledge.

Or went into battle with a real SOB of a boss for the 50th time with just one more hit on its weak spot and its done, excpet it get's me with the killer blow before I do.

No matter how pissed off I was I kept on going until the game was beat black & blue.

Now though, I can't even pick up a video game and hav'nt for years.

I know I would'nt be able to finish games now without quiting real early as soon as I get frustrated.

Ive just lost that never give up attitude and can't fight past even minor frustrations or disapointments wihtout giving in.

I've actually been living with all my issues for years now without even attempting to fix them, tbh.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:17

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Do you remember a time when you had the fire to change?

Yeah I feel like this at the moment. I'd like to get up and get more in my life, but I just cant be bothered. I remember a time when I felt hope and excitement. I dont now.

I guess at some point I made a choice - I can lose the downs on conditions I lose the ups aswell. Now I just float along a flat line, never feeling a thing

Oh well

Kev
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:26

Mood
Shoveit

This will sound bizarre but one of the few things that actually makes me put some effort in, is completing xbox games I've managed to finish just about every one of the 80 odd I've played, not always on the hardest setting but at least I've seen them through to the end. I still love the ability to lose myself completely in a game and forget the real world for hours on end. I started gaming at 12 so that's 27 years gaming now on and off.

Alas away from my games I'm an incredibly lazy sod who cba to do anything much as it's all so dull and pointless
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:50

Mood
Gloomy

I had it for about four weeks last year, it soon wore off though.
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:03

I think you've just lost interest in say like games. Just need to find something that regains that interest, or determination.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:29

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration!
I do.

I remember being able to keep getting back up and going at it.

I would get angry, get sad but I always kept trying and felt like If I did I could win.

It was like when I used to play video games.

I'm an 80/90's gamer and remember all those rock hard video games that people talk about now like they are impossible to crack.

I nailed them all on the hardest level.

I remember the tension, frustration and anger, even cying when for the 50th time I got right to the end of a really difficult part and fell of a ledge.

Or went into battle with a real SOB of a boss for the 50th time with just one more hit on its weak spot and its done, excpet it get's me with the killer blow before I do.

No matter how pissed off I was I kept on going until the game was beat black & blue.

Now though, I can't even pick up a video game and hav'nt for years.

I know I would'nt be able to finish games now without quiting real early as soon as I get frustrated.

Ive just lost that never give up attitude and can't fight past even minor frustrations or disapointments wihtout giving in.

I've actually been living with all my issues for years now without even attempting to fix them, tbh.
altho i cant relate to the whole video gaming thing, i get ur point and can relate. u do run out of steam after struggling for so long and its very hard to get that motivation back once it goes. i wish i had some advice but dont, i can relate tho. I used to try to so hard to help myself but ended up getting burnt out and still feel burnt out.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthandocean
altho i cant relate to the whole video gaming thing, i get ur point and can relate. u do run out of steam after struggling for so long and its very hard to get that motivation back once it goes. i wish i had some advice but dont, i can relate tho. I used to try to so hard to help myself but ended up getting burnt out and still feel burnt out.
Still fancy buggering off to the bush together to live a more peaceful and simple life?

No choccy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stervek
Yeah I feel like this at the moment. I'd like to get up and get more in my life, but I just cant be bothered. I remember a time when I felt hope and excitement. I dont now.

I guess at some point I made a choice - I can lose the downs on conditions I lose the ups aswell. Now I just float along a flat line, never feeling a thing

Oh well

Kev
Thats it Kev, that exactly how I feel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattaca
This will sound bizarre but one of the few things that actually makes me put some effort in, is completing xbox games I've managed to finish just about every one of the 80 odd I've played, not always on the hardest setting but at least I've seen them through to the end. I still love the ability to lose myself completely in a game and forget the real world for hours on end. I started gaming at 12 so that's 27 years gaming now on and off.

Alas away from my games I'm an incredibly lazy sod who cba to do anything much as it's all so dull and pointless
I wish I could get back my obssesion for games tbh.

I bought a Nintendo DS about 3 years ago with one of those devices so you can get loads of games for free, but Ive only managed about 4 hours max on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPSB
I had it for about four weeks last year, it soon wore off though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgT
I think you've just lost interest in say like games. Just need to find something that regains that interest, or determination.
True, I do have an interest that is keeping me sane but even that is fadeing.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
i remember a time when i had more enthusiasm for life... i dont know where its all gone
I think you can get it back and you're no lost cause going by some of your posts.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:40

Mood
Spooky

Back in the 90's, I was housebound & depressed, I still had a few friends as an anchor to 'reality' (I think that helped) I was so filled with rage about myself and my past, that I got myself to the doctors and into therapy for the first time.

Therapy helped to deal with the panic attacks, but I never managed (bothered?) to overcome the anxieties & avoidance, and as I lost the few friends I had I withdrew even further.

Doubt I will get another chance, but even just to have that amount of emotion (the 'fire') again would be a gift.

What has been said about games is true, the likes of Mario Super Bros, Dungeon Master, the original Championship Manager & Daggerfall, helped me through some difficult times! But these were crutches, fillers for the 'real' thing.

People.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:44
Banned at own request

Mood
Relaxed

I had the fire to change about 5 minutes ago. I'm getting ready for bed though, so I now have the fire to sleep.
Old 24th February 2010, 07:10

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration!
Still fancy buggering off to the bush together to live a more peaceful and simple life?

No choccy though. ..

ha ha, like those people in the movies (hillbillies) on the front porch in their rocking chair with a shot gun next to them ha ha

No choccy tho
Closed Thread