SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th July 2018, 10:26

Default Veganism

Any vegans here? Iím in the process.

Iíve eliminated all meat except chicken and most dairy from my diet (though saying goodbye to chocolate seems much tougher than I thought, itís really my only junk food of choice)
Old 12th July 2018, 10:32

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Veganism

Yes *raises hand*.

It's a good idea to transition gradually, sounds like you're doing well

If you miss chocolate you could try Vego, if you like hazelnuts, or Moo-free is available in a lot of supermarkets. There's also a brand called Ombar which is made with coconut milk, that's quite nice.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:58

Ah hey! I will check those out Thankyou. It’s a hard craving to lose.

How long have you been vegan?
Old 12th July 2018, 11:31

Mood
Cynical

It is, I had to make sure I had vegan chocolate that I liked or I wouldn't have been able to do it lol.

I've been vegan for about two years but I gradually transitioned too so there wasn't an exact date that I became vegan or anything like that.
Old 12th July 2018, 13:32

Aye. We have a more regular thread here for it: http://www.social-anxiety-community....t=88681&page=9
Old 12th July 2018, 17:03

Almost. I've managed to cut cheese from the diet! (woohoo, never thought i'd say that!) Only time I have no vegan stuff is the occasional Quorn product but Sainsburys have got some Vegan sausages and patties that are vegan and way better than Quorn so yeah basically vegan.

I hope and think a decade from now meat substitutes will taste exactly like the real thing. They're already incredible, no idea how they can replicate some products so closely. Might be wishful thinking but the growth and advancement in the products is amazing. The sausages I had the other day gave me a jolt, it was exactly like handling pork again. Anyway good luck going vegan!
Old 12th July 2018, 19:43

^ I suppose the appeal of meat substitutes is in part for people who used to eat meat and miss it, whether it be for the taste or the familiarity. Food's value shouldn't be based on how sufficiently meat-like it is, true, but if you enjoy the taste of sausages but don't want to eat sausages anymore, pretend-sausages must be pretty handy. Sausages.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:01

Mood
Cynical

^^ Hey, some of us need small things like chocolate to get us through the day, and if it can be vegan I'm not denying myself
Old 13th July 2018, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
^ I suppose the appeal of meat substitutes is in part for people who used to eat meat and miss it, whether it be for the taste or the familiarity. Food's value shouldn't be based on how sufficiently meat-like it is, true, but if you enjoy the taste of sausages but don't want to eat sausages anymore, pretend-sausages must be pretty handy. Sausages.
I go to a friends house and her cooking is pretty good being an actual chef, her boyfriend recently transitioned to the vegan diet from full on meat eater and he's often shouting halfway across the room "THIS IS VEGAN?!" completely bemused by it because it's so good according to him lol. So aye, fake sausages aren't bad in the start. I recommend the cauldron ones to new vegans.

Meat substitutes are good for people transitioning I guess, however once you find better stuff to replace that with you no longer need to bother. Unless you're like me and do quite enjoy traditional British meals which have been 'veganised'. Even then though you don't necessarily need too many meat substitutes.

I myself became vegan about 5 years ago back when Freelee was a thing, since then I've been on and off veganism/vegetarianism as I wasn't one to faff with the back of packaging too much. I regret that now but yeah at least I'm a lot better off for it physically/mentally as I'd say I was actually vegan now since I don't even bother with cheese anymore.

HermannHesse is on point with what he says, listen to him for he is wisdom man. (I'm going to start calling you that cause you're such a smart arse and it's great).

You could do vegetarianism first then go vegan, which is where I've been at. Long as you don't ingest the toxic animal hormones and steroids you're good to go.
Old 15th July 2018, 11:49

Mood
Lurking

If you're interested in learning about veganism, the How Do I Go Vegan and International Vegan Association websites provide lots of useful information. The former has many good recipes, whilst the latter has a useful vegan starter kit.

I am extremely glad that I made the decision to go vegan when I did! Being a vegan nowadays is easy, and I could never go back to being a non-vegan.
Old 15th July 2018, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
I don't want to get into a debate with JD90, which would move away from the point of this thread, but I don't agree that there should be any particular emphasis on replicating the taste of meat. .
All i'll say is that I wouldn't have even managed vegetarian without stuff like Quorn. I loved the taste of meat. It's the same as the taste of chocolate or fried onions or other foods that just make my mouth water, roast potatoes! So I think a lot of people don't move because of the taste. I've gotten a couple of people to go veggie just by cooking for them and using really good meat subs. People think you're gonna be sat there eating pumpkin seeds as a snack and eating salads and pastas and never enjoying anything! The more meaty something tastes less chance there is of me craving that meat.
Old 15th July 2018, 18:42

I've been vegan since January, after doing veganuary. I already didn't eat meat so it hasn't been too tough. I thought I'd miss cheese a lot more considering how much of it I used to eat but it hasn't been too bad. I'm fine with what I eat day to day at home, the hardest bit has been when other people are eating something I'd quite like to eat and I have to decline.

The amount of vegan food available has massively increased just in the six months since I've been vegan, especially if you do want meat alternatives. Sainsbury's are good for free from stuff and have some chicken substitutes but I haven't tried them. I got an awesome mushroom pie from waitrose last weekend, as well as some fresh filled ravioli. And some smoked tofu which I thought had almost a chorizo taste when chopped up in a salad.
Old 15th July 2018, 19:26

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd90
All i'll say is that I wouldn't have even managed vegetarian without stuff like Quorn. I loved the taste of meat. It's the same as the taste of chocolate or fried onions or other foods that just make my mouth water, roast potatoes! So I think a lot of people don't move because of the taste. I've gotten a couple of people to go veggie just by cooking for them and using really good meat subs. People think you're gonna be sat there eating pumpkin seeds as a snack and eating salads and pastas and never enjoying anything! The more meaty something tastes less chance there is of me craving that meat.
I have to say I agree. I've never been much of a meat eater myself so that aspect of veganism didn't bother me but for a lot of people who really enjoy it they find it a lot easier and more pleasurable to have meat substitutes. There's nothing wrong with having all sorts of different options I don't think.
Old 16th July 2018, 12:44

^Yeah exactly, I wasn't saying there was so I didn't quite understand what he meant. But if you talk to people first thing that'll come up will be taste. Nothing tastes like steak/bacon etc. The more amazing subs that come out the more people will just hopefully think ''well I still get the taste and nothing is dying'' so even if they just switch most of the time it'll make a huge difference. People only do the whole heartless ''I don't give a damn it's just an animal'' to cover up the guilt. I used to try and persuade myself it was all a-ok until I really became critical of myself and changed. But 80-90% of my change was down to having so many great tasting options. Because I used to consume so much meat and cheese. (I've cut cheese out somehow without having an alternative but that's not a staple part of a meal) So yeah I cannot wait to try the impossible burger and the wicked burger etc etc! Cannot blooming wait!
Old 16th July 2018, 14:51

Mood
Cynical

^ Indeed, for a lot of people if they have a really tasty meat substitute option they'll choose that. Is the impossible burger the one that 'bleeds'? I don't think I can stomach that lol.
Old 16th July 2018, 17:00

^haha yep it bleeds alright! I am desperate to try it, it's been so long and I've not had a really good beef substitute, chicken and pork they've got down really well, I prefer quorn gammon the way I cook it to actual gammon but not a really top notch beef sub just yet. I really hope and think ten years from now it'll be almost indistinguishable from real meat.
Old 16th July 2018, 19:40

Mood
Cynical

^ Even before I was vegan I never are anything that looked bloody! Still, if it's what people want and it's not really blood there's no harm in it.
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:27

Been veggie for 29 years and vegan for 2.

Giving up milk was fairly easy, given the choice of plant-based alternatives. I use soya milk and soya cream, but recently I had an oat milk latte for the first time. Good god, it was amazing!

Cheese was initially a problem (I loved cheese), but I found various types produced by Violife, which are great. Get them in Tesco's. Tried Tesco's 'Free From' own brand cheese - absolutely vile!

I'm getting into bulgur wheat these days, as it bulks out a meal in the same way that mince does. I also use TVP granules and chunks as a good meat-consistency substitute. I soak it in miso or yeast extract before adding to the meal.

Veganism has rocketed in popularity recently, so becoming one is getting easier all the time.

Good luck!