SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: how do you think about soup?
too wet 2 8.33%
not wet enough 1 4.17%
it will slosh around in my stomach and make me unhappy 0 0%
like a meal, except diluted 5 20.83%
just a drink to have along with several pasties 3 12.50%
its liquid properties find all the emptiness and hunger in me and bring it to my attention 1 4.17%
food for people who don't really like food 1 4.17%
oh its so...nice 7 29.17%
i have no teeth 0 0%
other 4 16.67%
vegetables are too nutritious so i boil them for 2 hours 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 28th March 2018, 13:10
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default how do you think about soup

having a crisis here


incoming poll, much like this incoming pole

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th March 2018, 13:24
Dead Wife Dead Wife is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 702
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Who comes home after a hard day at work and thinks 'oooft, I fair fancy a bowl of soup'? People with crohn's disease, that's who.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th March 2018, 13:40
kafkafan kafkafan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 370
Blog Entries: 2

Mood
Worried

Default Re: how do you think about soup

I quite like it tbh, but wouldn't have it just on it's own as a meal. Like, today for dinner I got some leek and potato soup and a roll from the canteen to go with my sandwiches. Even though on it's own it's nothing, it usually means it's longer till I get hungry again than if I'd just had the sandwiches and a roll. Just soup and bread for tea though is a bit depressing, unless you're specifically in the mood for it.

Also soup with giant lumps of vegetables in is a massive faff because it gets everywhere, but a nice blended or brothy soup has a comfort factor, like a nice cup of tea.

So I'm ambivalent about soup.

Edit: I like lentil soup.

Last edited by kafkafan; 28th March 2018 at 13:43. Reason: Needed to clarify my feelings on lentil soup
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th March 2018, 13:57
Hylian Hylian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Final Destination
Posts: 10,999

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: how do you think about soup

I quite like having soup with a nice multi-seed bread as an alternative to sandwiches, the latter of which I haven't eaten regularly since I left school.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:17
Vienna Vienna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Somerset
Posts: 519
Default Re: how do you think about soup

I come home after a hard days work and think ' mmm I'd love some hot soup tonight '

Home made is better.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:35
flumpsy flumpsy is offline
Banned at own request
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,510
Blog Entries: 11
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Like water, gravel and pasta, soup is not food. Sure you could try to eat it, some people eat lightbulbs and plasterboard but the warning is clear as day on the side of the tin, where it says "SOUP". If you look on one of those colour wheel food chart things you used to get in schools you will find its in the same section as bile and muddy puddles. In the "not food" section.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:39
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

really appreciating the general sense of negativity towards this watery quasi-nutritious imposter, ive been struggling with it for years
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:41
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpsy
Like water, gravel and pasta, soup is not food. Sure you could try to eat it, some people eat lightbulbs and plasterboard but the warning is clear as day on the side of the tin, where it says "SOUP". If you look on one of those colour wheel food chart things you used to get in schools you will find its in the same section as bile and muddy puddles. In the "not food" section.

im from a different part of the world, where i come from the food chart has a section called "things to strain through a sock when dying of dehydration", thats where we have things like muddy puddles, and indeed canned carrots, the contents of snow globes, and diarrhoea.


but soup isnt even on our chart at all
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:42
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkafan
I quite like it tbh, but wouldn't have it just on it's own as a meal. Like, today for dinner I got some leek and potato soup and a roll from the canteen to go with my sandwiches. Even though on it's own it's nothing, it usually means it's longer till I get hungry again than if I'd just had the sandwiches and a roll. Just soup and bread for tea though is a bit depressing, unless you're specifically in the mood for it.

Also soup with giant lumps of vegetables in is a massive faff because it gets everywhere, but a nice blended or brothy soup has a comfort factor, like a nice cup of tea.

So I'm ambivalent about soup.

Edit: I like lentil soup.

lentil soup deserves its own category aside from soup, since it is clearly an actual food
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th March 2018, 14:48
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

by the way i asked for the mods to make the poll multi choice quite a while ago, as a way of seeing if its safe to romp naked in this thread. since nothing has changed in over an hour im gonna get some breeze about the old piece of cod. feel free to feel free

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28th March 2018, 15:47
flumpsy flumpsy is offline
Banned at own request
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,510
Blog Entries: 11
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
im from a different part of the world, where i come from the food chart has a section called "things to strain through a sock when dying of dehydration", thats where we have things like muddy puddles, and indeed canned carrots, the contents of snow globes, and diarrhoea.


but soup isnt even on our chart at all
Soup was removed from most charts in the late 80s when it was found to be traumatising peoples childhoods.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28th March 2018, 16:02
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpsy
Soup was removed from most charts in the late 80s when it was found to be traumatising peoples childhoods.
I admit that my food chart history has transitioned from a full and pungent casserole to a bland runny soup, diluted in time like tears in broth : /
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28th March 2018, 16:04
Vienna Vienna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Somerset
Posts: 519
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
If your place of work is anything like mine, that's about 3 times a year then?
What do you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28th March 2018, 16:16
Vasco Da Gama Vasco Da Gama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Strathclyde
Posts: 4,962

Mood
Tired

Default Re: how do you think about soup

hmm,..
I've always liked soup,
I usually make my own and feel quite chuffed about it,
basically because it's often better than tinned stuff, and you can put what you really like in it, and it's quite simple to do.
I've had soup every night for a week now, but usually make a huge pot of soup quite often over the winter months.
I usually make a spicy tomato soup, or a kind of root veg-based soup,
tomato one has : onions, garlic, chilli, roasted peppers, basil, tomatoes, stock, water, pasta.
you can chop and change what you put in it, I like the fact you can make it up as you go really, and experiment with different combos.
what I sometimes do is cook salmon or something and add the soup, just so I'm getting plenty of protein too,
you can have focaccia with it or some other cooked/toasted bread, Nan bread or whatever,

when you come home from work, it's easy to just heat it up and there's your meal.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28th March 2018, 18:32
jam jam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: how do you think about soup

To be honest I don't really stew about it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 28th March 2018, 18:54
biscuits biscuits is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the tin.
Posts: 14,626
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Soup is the 10th best food out of all the foods. I love it. I prefer it to be smooth rather than chunky.

Home made croutons- so very bad, but oh so good. I haven’t had croutons in ages.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 28th March 2018, 19:02
neilm neilm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 1,563

Mood
Fine

Default Re: how do you think about soup

I do like a bowl of soup on a cold winters day
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28th March 2018, 19:14
anxiouslondoner anxiouslondoner is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pandaemonium, SE27
Posts: 3,724
Default Re: how do you think about soup

Soup isn't a food, just like beige isn't really a colour, it's an anti-colour that elicits the feeling of an absence of colour. Soup is an anti-food, it makes you acutely aware of the lack of real food.
Anyway I feel compelled to post a link to Soupy Norman on the thinnest of contexts:
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:18
hellotiger hellotiger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 5,238
Default Re: how do you think about soup

I love soup. Soup is amazing. It's perfect when I have to eat standing up. It's also good for using up stale bread - dip, dip, dip, and nom, nom,nom.
My oh makes a phenomenal lentil and kale soup. I require it every 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:21
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Soup is the 10th best food out of all the foods. I love it. I prefer it to be smooth rather than chunky.

Home made croutons- so very bad, but oh so good. I haven’t had croutons in ages.
I need to see 1 thru 9 of your list before i can tell whether to take you seriously. Like 1-8 is probably nutella and 9 is probably mycoprotein with nutella
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:34
biscuits biscuits is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the tin.
Posts: 14,626
Default Re: how do you think about soup

^ I don't share such personal info with just anyone, Kevin Hodge. You need to pass level 8 before you can find out.

I wish I was better at the words so that I could express my love for soup. I think about soup a lot. It's intrusive. I think about soup when I'm eating other foods. When I first signed up for this site I mistaken did so because I thought it was soupaholics uk.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:38
AireleeBray AireleeBray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 162
Blog Entries: 13

Mood
Sleepy

Default Re: how do you think about soup

i had pumpkin & chestnut soup once & surprisingly i loved it so much that no soup has ever been good enough again. i'll occasionally have vegtable soup but its just for dipping fresh bread in really
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:40
Rebka Rebka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Bath, Somerset
Posts: 2,257
Default Re: how do you think about soup

I donít mind soup, or stews, especially if itís thick and chunky and has loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of different ingredients in it, and especially with buttered rolls to dunk in it, and especially if I have a cold or something. I mean if itís just a tomato soup or cream of chicken soup then itís not so amazing, but homemade soups with like, EVERYTHING in them, can be one of the best things ever! But it still doesnít beat Mexican or Indian food.

Aw man, look at this Mexican seafood soup!

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:41
Dougella Dougella is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,883

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: how do you think about soup

I don't have much of an opinion on soup but I am quite fond of the naked rambler. I bet he doesn't eat much soup, it'd be a health hazard.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:47
Kooky Monster Kooky Monster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,729

Mood
Amused

Default Re: how do you think about soup

For me it's the 'there's nothing else in but I'm hungry so this will do' food. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 28th March 2018, 21:18
Mr. Spaceman Mr. Spaceman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 4,639
Blog Entries: 1

Mood
Tired

Default Re: how do you think about soup

The cafť at the place I volunteer at does some very nice hearty soups which I get now and again. I never make them myself though and tinned soup looks especially unappetizing.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 28th March 2018, 21:19
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebka
I donít mind soup, or stews, especially if itís thick and chunky and has loads and loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of different ingredients in it, and especially with buttered rolls to dunk in it, and especially if I have a cold or something. I mean if itís just a tomato soup or cream of chicken soup then itís not so amazing, but homemade soups with like, EVERYTHING in them, can be one of the best things ever! But it still doesnít beat Mexican or Indian food.

Aw man, look at this Mexican seafood soup!



ew theres shells and everything in there gtfo! theres a fine line between "soup" and "a puddle with dead animals in it"


i've actually got a shameful secret related to this thread...meh...perhaps tomorrow i can unburden myself x/
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 28th March 2018, 21:22
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
I don't have much of an opinion on soup but I am quite fond of the naked rambler. I bet he doesn't eat much soup, it'd be a health hazard.

it does seem kind of sad that you arent allowed to be naked, considering everyone has genitals and clothes are unnatural. but maybe hes just a pervert with a gimmick, who knows

imagine if jimmy saville insisted he had every right to run the london marathon naked oo-er
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 28th March 2018, 21:23
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ I don't share such personal info with just anyone, Kevin Hodge. You need to pass level 8 before you can find out.

I wish I was better at the words so that I could express my love for soup. I think about soup a lot. It's intrusive. I think about soup when I'm eating other foods. When I first signed up for this site I mistaken did so because I thought it was soupaholics uk.

ive been moved by your enthusiasm for the ugly duckling that is soup, so much so that i will hastily throw together a tribute for you in the hope that you will reveal at least what #5 on the list is

brb
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 28th March 2018, 21:30
Kevin Hodge Kevin Hodge is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: lazy town
Posts: 25,361
Blog Entries: 50

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: how do you think about soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ I don't share such personal info with just anyone, Kevin Hodge. You need to pass level 8 before you can find out.

I wish I was better at the words so that I could express my love for soup. I think about soup a lot. It's intrusive. I think about soup when I'm eating other foods. When I first signed up for this site I mistaken did so because I thought it was soupaholics uk.


there ya go

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:01.


SAUK Award
Logo designed by abc
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.