Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th September 2017, 20:42

Default Opticians

Opticians?
Old 17th September 2017, 21:03

Mood
Shoveit

Default Re: Opticians

You best go or I will kick you up the bum! Hows that for motivation?
Old 17th September 2017, 21:19

I have an eye test once every two years. I cope pretty well to be honest as I've been going to the same place for almost ten years. There's usually one particular lady who serves me and she's generally fine with me and I don't feel uncomfortable around her. If she dealt with the whole process - they'd be absolutely no problem at all.

The only notable issue I have is with the person who does the eye test itself (who I believe has since moved on elsewhere...). He basically doesn't listen to me. He knows I have two different pairs of glasses but will only ever test me for one. I remind him a few times during the initial test...he doesn't listen. After the test when he's giving me the results...he still doesn't listen. It's only when he tells me to stand up and head back to the main room, when I stand my ground, handing him back my second pair of glasses, will he then huff at me and ask me to sit back down.

I was a bit annoyed with them the other week. One of the nose-rest pieces snapped off on my 'computer glasses' and I took it in for repair. They usually do it whilst you wait. Whilst they done it again this time, they seemed to initially deny I was even one of their customers - quizzing me over how long I had the glasses, did I get them from there, when I last had an eye test there e.t.c... This was despite taking the glasses out of their own branded glasses case, may I add...

I used to have horrible experiences at my previous opticians though. The final straw came when they effectively forced me onto a type of lens I'd never had before (aparently what I have is 'old fashioned' - even though they work) and I ended up having to exchange the new pair a week later as they were giving me headaches and nausea. No - I'm not overreacting to this because my mother was with me at the time and basically had to stand-up for me when I took them to be exchanged for my regular prescription. That was the last time I used them before switching to who I deal with now.
Old 17th September 2017, 21:33

Mood
Cynical

I haven't been to the opticians for a long time but I also really should go. I don't mind the tests so much it's just the whole thing of making an appointment and going to it that I keep putting off.
Old 17th September 2017, 22:14

^^^ Miggs, you are a great motivator
Old 17th September 2017, 22:16

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
^^^ Miggs, you are a great motivator
Thanks bud she knows I'll do it too!
Old 17th September 2017, 22:25

I go specsavers and they're always very helpful and I actually find it oddly relaxing when the optician performs the tests. I think its just a case of getting your foot through the door, I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 18th September 2017, 12:29

I hate going to the opticians but my eyesight is rubbish so I know I need regular check ups.
I usually get my mum to come with me. She sits in the waiting room until I'm done bless her.
I hate the fact that it's not just one person that does the whole process but I have to go to two different rooms and see at least two different people.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:25

Mood
Lurking

I always mean to go get checked out again but I haven't been to the opticians since 2003 or 2004 but I do remember feeling dead nervous at the time.
Old 18th September 2017, 15:05

Mood
Confused

I went to specsavers quite recently and the actual eye test was very hands-off - they have a machine now that changes the lenses etc automatically. So it was also much quicker.

For me, the traumatic part is choosing glasses. I absolutely hate it and feel like nothing I put on suits me. This time I eventually picked a couple of pairs on a deal - by which time I have a headache from not wearing my own glasses while I try them on - only to be told I needed all kinds of extras at extra cost. I didn't buy the glasses and walked out in tears which seems like a massive over-reaction but I just find the whole process of choosing so stressful that having to then spend money on something I'm not even sure suits me is all a bit much...

However I did then go to Asda opticians the next week who had very helpful staff and a price plan which upfront included everything that I would need.
Old 18th September 2017, 20:14

that moment where they're heavy breathing looking into your eyes right up to your face
Old 18th September 2017, 21:45

The worst part is the machine that blows air into your eye
Old 18th September 2017, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
that moment where they're heavy breathing looking into your eyes right up to your face
Yes that's the worst bit for me. It's too close, keep thinking ' don't kiss me, don't kiss me! '

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrelight
Yes I hate that, makes you jump
Old 18th September 2017, 22:43

Mood
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrelight
I'm amazed it took until post #12 before someone mentioned that.
Old 12th November 2017, 21:11

Old 12th November 2017, 21:40

Mood
Cynical

You've reminded me I still haven't been either.
Old 12th November 2017, 21:50

I hope you do go ahead and book the appointment with the optician as it sounds like you’ve been struggling with your eyesight for awhile now newbs?

I last went to the Opticians a couple of years ago as I was finding it increasingly difficult to see things close up - the ingredients on the back of food packets, books with small print, and then even watching videos on my iPad were a big blur. Eventually my desperation to be able to see was stronger than the social anxiety involved with going to the Opticians.

The Opticians are usually very patient and kind. The eye tests don’t take too long and I didn’t find it nearly as stressful as I thought I might.
Let’s face it, it beats going to the Dentists because at least there’s no pain involved! As Spectrelight says, the worst bit for some is having air blown into their eye but for me personally it wasn’t a big deal - it didn’t hurt and was over in seconds. And it was actually quite fun trying on various different styles of frames too

I ended up with a pair of reading glasses which have since broken, so I have just bought a couple of pairs of non prescription glasses for £5.99 from the Supermarket. For now, they are perfectly adequate for reading. But, if you need to wear glasses all the time or for driving in particular then I think a visit to the Optician is a must.

Youve got to go now anyway newbs as Miggs has said he will kick you up the bottom, although I’m not quite sure if that is meant as a threat or a promise
Old 12th November 2017, 22:08

Mood
Procrastinating

Yeah I find it a bit intimidating. The first few times it was not knowing what to expect and how to act around the optician. Now I'm OK with that but still struggle a bit choosing frames, feel very on show looking in the mirror for some reason and hate having to fend off the assistants (those helpful bastards!). The worst was last time I went they adjusted the frames by making me stare at my gormless face in an ipad - did not need that!! Is there someone you could go with? I imagine even non-anxious people do that just so they can have someone's opinion on the glasses.

If it's any motivation, some Specsavers branches are giving free or discounted eye tests atm for National Eye Health Week (the voucher I found was valid until December).
Old 12th November 2017, 22:16

I agree with Kafkafan about taking someone with you, such as a friend or family member, when you go newbs. I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable going on my own. It makes all the difference having someone with you for moral support and they can help you with selecting some glasses that suit you too
Old 14th November 2017, 15:05

Would anyone mind explaining step my step what happens when you go and have your eyes tested. I feel anxious about it .
Old 14th November 2017, 15:33

It's so easy you wish you'd gone sooner. Hardest part is the waiting room, and picking frames in front of people watching.
Old 14th November 2017, 15:48

It’s really not scary once you’re there, Newbs I actually quite enjoyed mine.

From Specsavers -

Quote:
Your store visit explained

Every eye examination is tailored to your individual needs, but this is what a typical visit would entail...

Pre-test

Before your full eye examination, you will have what is known as a pre-test with one of our optical assistants. The optometrist uses the results of the pre-test during your eye examination.

Dependent on your individual needs, a variety of different pieces of diagnostic equipment will be used in the pre-test.

One of the most commonly performed tests uses a tonometer. A tonometer will blow a gentle puff of air onto the surface of each eye to measure the internal pressure. This is one of a variety of tests that allows the optometrist to assess your risk of developing glaucoma.

Other tests, such as autorefraction, are used to see how long or short-sighted you are. These tests can be performed on separate pieces of equipment or on single multifunctional machines.

The optical assistant may then take a photograph of the back of your eyes using digital retinal photography. This image is saved and will be useful in monitoring changes in eye health on future visits.
It might vary a little depending where you go but yeah, from my experience you’ll go to reception and they’ll probably tell you to take a seat. You’ll go into a room and have a pre-test where you’ll rest your chin on something and look into the machine they bring up to your eyes and you might have to tell them when you can see dots or patterns or similar. They’ll take a photo of your eye (you just see a flash of light) and they’ll show you what the back of your eye looks like. They’ll puff a bit of air at each eye and it makes you blink

Then you’ll usually sit down again and wait for the main optician. They’ll shine a light in your eyes and check them. Then you’ll rest your chin on a support and look through a device, they’ll show you coloured things and eyecharts and see what letters you can read. Then they’ll swap different lenses in front of each eye and ask you if the letters are clearer or harder to read.
Then they’ll ask you about your lifestyle, whether you use computers a lot or read etc, they’ll ask if you’ve noticed any problems.
If all is fine then that’s it. If they think you need glasses then you’ll go back and sit down and wait for someone to show you the frames and you can choose some and they’ll measure your face and keep getting you to try them on while they adjust them. Then they send them off to be made and you’ll pick them up a few days later

Nothing hurts, you only have to sit still and they’ve always been very friendly and helpful in my experience.
You’ll be absolutely fine x
Old 14th November 2017, 16:26

Mood
Happy

It's really not a problem at all, doesn't take too long, and if you are choosing glasses rather than contacts there's so many fashionable frames nowadays I think you'll be pleased when you come out with your nice new glasses. I don't know if they still do it but there was something that used to make me feel a bit awkward. They would switch off the light and get really close to you and shine a torch in your eye or something? I didn't mind at all when it was a female optician but I kept wanting to giggle when it was a guy one practically close enough to kiss me Maybe they use a machine for that now though.
Old 15th November 2017, 22:22

Thanks