Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th July 2018, 21:26

Mood
Sneaky

Default stuff that terrified you as a kid

sinister childrens tv show? ever see something you shouldnt have on late night tv?

i was an 80s kid and this scared the hell out of me

Old 26th July 2018, 21:32
Global Moderator

Mood
Dramaqueen

Default Re: stuff that terrified you as a kid

At 8 or thereabouts, I watched The Fog when staying overnight at a friend's house with parents who let kids watch whatever they were watching. Was freakin traumatised for years. When I drive down the motorway between Edinburgh and Glasgow and I'm near Shotts, there's this church on a hill that reminds me of that film somehow and I get a bit shivery.
Old 26th July 2018, 21:35
Co-Administrator

The Chuckie films, I watched those too young, and the Demon Headmaster And Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Old 26th July 2018, 21:46
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

As daft as it sounds I watched a twilight zone episode when I was very young about a doll. It was a present for a little girl but was alive and took exception to the dad. He tries to destroy it but never succeeds. The doll eventually lies on a flight of stairs making a strange humming noise and kills the father, who's becoming ever more unhinged by it all, by tripping him on the stairs.
This frigging episode stayed with me for years! I even went through a phase of either turning my dolls/teddies around or putting them out the room at night

I've since re watched it on YouTube and it isn't particularly scary it's from the 50s/60s, plus telly savalas with hair is the dad

Oh and Nightmare on elm st when I was about 8 or 9 or 10. Holy crap!
Old 26th July 2018, 21:56

Mood
Lonely

I utterly hated ET
Old 26th July 2018, 22:09

Mood
Lonely

Are you afraid of the dark? There was one episode which inspired a nightmare of a green man at the bottom of my bed
When I was six-ish, I had a mean babysitter who told me the story of Candyman and that scared the crap out of me for over a year. I wouldn’t go upstairs alone for ages! I thought the film was crap when I finally actually watched it
Old 26th July 2018, 22:11

The Riddlers theme...

Captain Scarlett/Thunderbirds/Stingray

Spitting Image

Medusa (Clash of The Titans)
Old 26th July 2018, 22:15

Mood
Shoveit

Now, hear me out on this one...on the face of it these are a cuddly bunch of loveable weirdos...but I always got an anxious unsettling vibe watching this as a child, especially from the little human girl ( she's weird! ). Something eerie and dark was going unsaid between this lot. This isn't a joke I genuinely thought this as a kid.

( disclaimer: I wasn't allowed or around anyone imbibing crack as a child )

Am I alone on this one!?
Old 26th July 2018, 22:17

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
The Riddlers theme...

Captain Scarlett/Thunderbirds/Stingray

Spitting Image

Medusa (Clash of The Titans)

that riddlers intro is ghastly. surprised you had scarlett/stingray etc, and no terrahawks! what an utter abomination that was Dx
Old 26th July 2018, 22:18

Mood
Cynical

Lifts. I saw an old film as a child where people got stuck in a lift and had to climb out of the hatch at the top and not all of them made it out before it crashed to the bottom of the lift shaft. I did not want to get in a lift after that! I still avoid them if at all possible.
Old 26th July 2018, 22:19

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
Lifts. I saw an old film as a child where people got stuck in a lift and had to climb out of the hatch at the top and not all of them made it out before it crashed to the bottom of the lift shaft. I did not want to get in a lift after that! I still avoid them if at all possible.
I dreaded lifts too! Still not the biggest fan lol
Old 26th July 2018, 22:22

This fella:

Also whenever the Crime Stoppers theme came on I would actually hide behind the sofa! Shield me from the evil of this world.
Old 26th July 2018, 22:25
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ Haha Crime stoppers used to make me scared afterwards as a kid
Old 26th July 2018, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
that riddlers intro is ghastly. surprised you had scarlett/stingray etc, and no terrahawks! what an utter abomination that was Dx
Haha, i'm not sure why but i don't think i liked it maybe.. ? The others i was creeped out over but loved.

That Riddlers theme ... what ****er gave that the nod, it's outrageous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
This fella:

Also whenever the Crime Stoppers theme came on I would actually hide behind the sofa! Shield me from the evil of this world.
Yes! I hated .. HATED facial reconstrutions, i couldn't watch - and the tone of it all.
Old 26th July 2018, 22:36

Mood
Sneaky

casualty always used to be on when my dad was coming home from a late shift. full of fcking car crashes and fatalities, every time he was 5 minutes late i was bracing myself for a bereavement x/
Old 26th July 2018, 22:39

^^ Yes! It definitely burnt the image of the evil people onto your retinas. The theme tune was horrible too. Duhhn duhhn duhhn.

I wonder if anyone on here knows someone who earned themselves a crime stoppers trust a award. I wonder what it was? Knee pads to protect yourself when you had to dive behind the sofa?
Old 26th July 2018, 22:47

Mood
Sneaky

oh also - my own nightmares. if i had a nightmare set in a real life place then that was it. flashbacks every time i passed that place , for years
Old 26th July 2018, 22:51

Jonathan Creek. Absolutely loved it but could never watch it on my own The Demon Headmaster was super creepy too
Old 26th July 2018, 22:55

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia
Jonathan Creek. Absolutely loved it but could never watch it on my own The Demon Headmaster was super creepy too

what was scary about jonathan creek?
Old 26th July 2018, 23:07

Return To Oz scared the hell out of me.
Old 26th July 2018, 23:13

^^^ The music for one thing! The whole show was creepy though..
Old 26th July 2018, 23:14

I had a thing about faces. The face on Mars, the faces at the start of the Young Ones episode Nasty, the faces on the back of a Madness record with the crossword, the photofit faces on Crimewatch which I thought were real and there were weird black and white people out there murdering and tormenting people. I had an Usborne book of Haunted Houses that was full of spooky faces. One in particular always cacked me up, until much later when I discovered they'd just drawn Lon Chaney.

I'm the youngest of four brothers, and I think it was a tradition for each of us to be traumatised by the next older one with music. My bro subjected me to the end of Bike by Pink Floyd and Revolution 9 by the Beatles, which would never have happened if he hadn't been locked in a room and made to listen to Ghosts by Japan.
Old 26th July 2018, 23:18

Mood
Shoveit

Watched Freddy Krueger one afternoon and regularly slept on my sisters bedroom floor for about a month after that lol

Bad move.
Old 27th July 2018, 00:25

That 1990s BBC mockumentary that I didn't know was a mockumentary 'Ghostwatch'. That 'Pipes' bloke still gives me the shits even now, even though I'm 39 and know it was fake.

Also, at the end of Crimewatch when they used to say 'don't let this give you nightmares', maybe I wasn't going to have a nightmare but I had one after they said that.
Old 27th July 2018, 01:39

Anyone remember Chocky? A children's show about an alien that only one boy can see? There was a sequel called Chocky's Children. That series frightened me as a child (obligatory Stuart Lee: I was 31 at the time.)

Also I saw a bit from Tron when I was very young, where Jeff Bridges gets digitized into the computer, and was terrified that would happen to me. (It didn't, yet)

I'm sure there's other things, I used to watch TV in my bedroom late at night on a black and white set, and sometimes something would disturb me so I'd have to watch something boring like Open University to take my mind off it. Mostly after age 12 though I was just hoping for a brief glimpse of nipple. (not on OU, it rarely got that racy)
Old 27th July 2018, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hodge
Terrahawks, I'm pretty sure that was literal nightmare fuel for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggs The Terrible
Watched Freddy Krueger one afternoon and regularly slept on my sisters bedroom floor for about a month after that lol

Bad move.
Yea nightmare on elm street and Freddy Krueger scared the crap outta me.

Also, I remember seeing a clip from a movie that to this day I have no idea what it was. It involved a woman stripping behind a screen, once she takes her clothes off she then strips down to an actual skeleton, and she was still dancing as a skeleton. I remember thinking wtf did I just watch lol.
Old 27th July 2018, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
I'm sure there's other things, I used to watch TV in my bedroom late at night on a black and white set, and sometimes something would disturb me so I'd have to watch something boring like Open University to take my mind off it. Mostly after age 12 though I was just hoping for a brief glimpse of nipple. (not on OU, it rarely got that racy)
You are me, right down to the black and white telly. My most memorable reverse-stiffy was scanning for something mucky late and night and tuning into Eraserhead. I think my thoughts were, 'Hmm, bit weird, but hey, there's a man and a woman in bed, you never know!' I'm 90% sure I didn't manage to knock one out that night.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:14

My uncle showed me horror movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and one of the Hannibals, when Hannibal convinces that dude to slice of his own face But the Shining scared me. Just that one scene with the naked woman. It was probably the first time i'd seen a naked woman and I felt something stir... then of course all that stuff happens... scared the hell out of me!!

One of the goosebumps episodes really frightened me! Think it involved a camera or something, might even have starred a young Ryan Gosling.
Old 27th July 2018, 13:02

Mood
Tired

when I was young there seemed to be a lot of gang violence and football violence on the go,
people seemed fascinated and addicted to it or obsessed by it, like it was thrilling or something,
football / gang violence really scared and depressed me, as did skinhead / bovver boot violence,.it was all just so ugly.
I'm still kind of affected by it to this day.
Old 27th July 2018, 13:38
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd90
One of the goosebumps episodes really frightened me! Think it involved a camera or something, might even have starred a young Ryan Gosling.

I remember the one about the camera too, scared me silly