SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 11th July 2010, 23:49

Mood
Fine

Question I Feel I'm The Only Black African American Female With Social Anxiety.

I am a american black female who lives in america, and i've been suffering with this disorder since like forever....I just want to know are there any black people on here that has social anxiety how do you cope? My people and other races expects us to be really talkative, and outgoing, and loud....when I'm not like that I get looked at weird...I feel like an outcast cause everyone is outgoing in this "normal outgoing world" and I'm not, when i'm at family gatherings and at the work place...i'm shy/quiet and usually you are looked up as weird and strange...it bothers me when I hear people say "Why You So Quiet" or "You Have To Watch Out For The Quiet Ones" or "You To Old To Be Shy" urrgh I hate that!!!! Share your stories....this could be for anyone but I just want to know other fellow blacks on here with social anxiety.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:54
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: I Feel I'm The Only Black African American Female With Social Anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito92
I am a american black female who lives in america, and i've been suffering with this disorder since like forever....I just want to know are there any black people on here that has social anxiety how do you cope? My people and other races expects us to be really talkative, and outgoing, and loud....when I'm not like that I get looked at weird...I feel like an outcast cause everyone is outgoing in this "normal outgoing world" and I'm not, when i'm a family gatherings and at the work place...i'm shy/quiet and usually you are looked up as weird and strange...it bothers me when I hear people say "Why You So Quiet" or "You Have To Watch Out For The Quiet Ones" or "You To Old To Be Shy" urrgh I hate that!!!! Share your stories....this could be for anyone but I just want to know other fellow blacks on here with social anxiety.

I feel for you, I lived in the USA as a kid for 2 years and I can imagine its hell having SA out there.In England you can usually blend in to the quiet and reserved english tradition alot of the time but the average American is just so much more outgoing in all areas of life.Im actually trying to remember ever observing an American that I could have classed as maybe having SA but am seriously drawing a blank on it.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:54

Mood
Insomnious

Default Re: I Feel I'm The Only Black African American Female With Social Anxiety.

Hi ,

I don't believe that your the only one I'm sure there are many more.

I don't know if you seen this video before but there a couple of black american females on there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9BJKEEFC4
Old 12th July 2010, 07:21

I don't mean this to sound rude or racist, But English quiet and reserved? I'm Irish, and if you go into the city centre IE Belfast you hear the English tourists above everyone else, Americans are right up there to I suppose,
Old 12th July 2010, 10:02

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito92
I am a american black female who lives in america, and i've been suffering with this disorder since like forever....I just want to know are there any black people on here that has social anxiety how do you cope? My people and other races expects us to be really talkative, and outgoing, and loud....when I'm not like that I get looked at weird...I feel like an outcast cause everyone is outgoing in this "normal outgoing world" and I'm not, when i'm at family gatherings and at the work place...i'm shy/quiet and usually you are looked up as weird and strange...it bothers me when I hear people say "Why You So Quiet" or "You Have To Watch Out For The Quiet Ones" or "You To Old To Be Shy" urrgh I hate that!!!! Share your stories....this could be for anyone but I just want to know other fellow blacks on here with social anxiety.
Well, I'm not a black african american, but am black. I have mixed parentage.
I dont know that anyone expects blacks to be outgoing? Everyone has a different personality after all.
I mean, SA affects everyone regardless of colour.

I was a shy child, and have remained a quiet individual. I wouldnt say I am shy now, just reserved.
With my immediate family I'm fine. Its just with other people I can't be myself.

With half my complete family being black Jamaicans, you can appreciate that our culture is predominantly very social, outgoing, warm, friendly and relaxed; very family orientated.
I am a far cry from this.
Hate people showing up at the door, am never welcoming or hosptiable - I can't bare it!
I dont want to throw the big parties, and have all the large gatherings......I used to hate them all, and since leaving my birth home, I avoid them at all costs!
All the huge sunday meals, christenings, weddings etc..
Old 15th July 2010, 19:09

Mood
Fine

Thanks everyone for your comments,I know i'm not the only black person with this disorder,at times well all the time I feel out of place.
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man
I get where you are coming from. I'm Sikh...and every Sikh I know, is loud, outgoing and social. Even the punjabi language, is loud and brash...its totally different to English. Take the dhol, the indian drum...its like an emblem for being loud and confident. A huge contrast to the reserved English nature.

It's true, any person i know who is'nt Sikh who's gone to a sikh wedding has said how loud & extravagant everything was and i always say well we are loud!
Reason why i hate going to them most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze
This!
I take it from that reply you are one of our people
Closed Thread